Thread: Duke 390 to 790

Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Duke 390 to 790

I Went to Kyalami to take a look at the 790 and I really like it. Seems it will come in at R142k based on this:

https://thebikeshow.co.za/ktm-790-duke-2/

I reckon that’s a relative bargain compared to other bikes but I will only buy it if I can sell/trade my 390. Its a Jan 16 with 12000km on so do you think I could get R45k for it?

The only downside is that although I commute with the 390 it is actually the wife’s weekend bike. The 790 will be nicer for me to commute although I can’t fault the 390.

The 790 will work better for us to ride somewhere further than local coffee shop(I will be on a different bike). But she is still in the process of getting her license so doesn’t ride more than the occasional weekend trip. She is short but was comfortable hen sitting on the 790 at the show.

So question is if the 790 will be too much for her as a first proper bike after scooters?
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    I Went to Kyalami to take a look at the 790 and I really like it. Seems it will come in at R142k based on this:

https://thebikeshow.co.za/ktm-790-duke-2/

I reckon that’s a relative bargain compared to other bikes but I will only buy it if I can sell/trade my 390. Its a Jan 16 with 12000km on so do you think I could get R45k for it?

The only downside is that although I commute with the 390 it is actually the wife’s weekend bike. The 790 will be nicer for me to commute although I can’t fault the 390.

The 790 will work better for us to ride somewhere further than local coffee shop(I will be on a different bike). But she is still in the process of getting her license so doesn’t ride more than the occasional weekend trip. She is short but was comfortable hen sitting on the 790 at the show.

So question is if the 790 will be too much for her as a first proper bike after scooters?
    Definitely too much. More than double the power and only weighing 20kg more than the 390.
    Girlfriend:"Why do you sleep with a gun under your pillow?"
    Me:"Decepticons"
    She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. good times.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post

You would know better than any of us will. You know her skill level, how self assured she is, etc. In my opinion the 790 KTM is not a beginners bike though.

Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the replies
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

the EGO
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

The 790 feels much stronger than the power curves suggest. It isn't a brute, but it can be a handful.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008