Thread: offroad/old bikes back on the road

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Default offroad/old bikes back on the road

hey everyone,

how hard is it to get an old bike licensed and on the road? let's say it's one of those farm bikes on gumtree, or an old dirt bike to sumo up.

I've read mixed reviews on how this can be done or if it can even be done at all.

I've read that a registered bike without papers is a lost cause, but what about bikes that have never been registered ? and what about these pitbikes ? can they be kitted up with all the required bits (lights, hooter etc...) and then registered on the road ? I live in a small coastal town and I think one of those may work well just for popping to the shop for a chocolate for the wife ;)

please let me know your thoughts ?

thanks

p.s. I dont mean how hard it is to make a bike roadworthy, i mean how hard is it to actually get it registered and legal provided it meets all the require criteria

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    hey everyone,

how hard is it to get an old bike licensed and on the road? let's say it's one of those farm bikes on gumtree, or an old dirt bike to sumo up.

I've read mixed reviews on how this can be done or if it can even be done at all.

I've read that a registered bike without papers is a lost cause, but what about bikes that have never been registered ? and what about these pitbikes ? can they be kitted up with all the required bits (lights, hooter etc...) and then registered on the road ? I live in a small coastal town and I think one of those may work well just for popping to the shop for a chocolate for the wife ;)

please let me know your thoughts ?

thanks

p.s. I dont mean how hard it is to make a bike roadworthy, i mean how hard is it to actually get it registered and legal provided it meets all the require criteria
    Why bother, no one else does! But seriously, if that is all you want to do, rather just buy a Chinese/Indian scoot, ready for the road. The
    heartache will be way less!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Hey Vespa,

I've got a little scooter and have recently been playing with the idea of getting an older bush bike and putting it on the road, I'd like it to be legal, or even a pitbike (once upgraded with lights etc).
    So my question still stands, is this a pointless exercise or can it be done and if so does it costs thousands or does it involve long wait at the licensing departments?
    I'm unfamiliar with the process and even if it can be done, this is why I raised this post,

Thanks for your reply anyways have a lekker weekend

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Hey Vespa,

I've got a little scooter and have recently been playing with the idea of getting an older bush bike and putting it on the road, I'd like it to be legal, or even a pitbike (once upgraded with lights etc).
    So my question still stands, is this a pointless exercise or can it be done and if so does it costs thousands or does it involve long wait at the licensing departments?
    I'm unfamiliar with the process and even if it can be done, this is why I raised this post,

Thanks for your reply anyways have a lekker weekend
    The short answer is YES, IT CAN BE DONE. The long answer is the process can take 3-6 months - weight bridge, police clearance, dot what what, and the authorities NOT losing the documents at different stages of the process.

Does your plaasbike have a VIN or do you need to be issued a VIN?

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

If it was originally registered on E-Natis, when it entered the country as for off-road use only, it is almost impossible.