Thread: Tire fitment recommendations: Cape Town

N00b
    Bike
    NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Tire fitment recommendations: Cape Town

I need to replace my tyres on the NC soon-ish. My current Bridgestone Battle Wings have done 21000km over the last 14 months and Iíve been pretty happy with them so far, but have had a couple moments where I wished there was just a little bit more grip. Also been pretty good in the wet, only letting go a tiny bit once on a slick patch of oil, understandably. Also had to plug the rear a little while ago after getting a roofing nail embedded all the way in. Probably want to get them changed before the (hopefully!) rainy season. Mostly commuting on these, about 75km each day, and the occasional weekend 100km ride for funsies. No track day or off-road requirements.

I canít find the Bridgestone BW in Cape Town, so need to find an alternate option. Iíve done some research and it looks like the Michelin PR4 is what most people seem to be recommending, including some NC owners.

Where in Cape Town do most people take their bikes for new tyres to be supplied and fitted, preferably in/around town? Do you buy them somewhere then get them fitted somewhere else? Trac-Mac donít have the PR4 in the size I need, and the other places Iíve found donít list what they have.

Thanks!

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Try Wicked Cycles in Koeberg road or Craigs in Mailtland.

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

https://justbiketyre.co.za/

Pricing looks pretty good, they have a branch in Brackenfell as well.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

The high mileage/grippy options are really only between the Michelin PR4 and the Pirelli Angel GTs.

The latter compromising on some mileage for grip.

That being said, I had my XR on the track with PR4's and I only had 1 bit of slide when climbing on the throttle too aggressively on the exit.

N00b
    Bike
    NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Finally replaced my tires and ended up with a set of Michelin Road 5's on the NC. After almost 1600km with these I am super happy! Took a few days to adjust to having a different profile on the front so it feels different on turn-in and lean, but now that I'm used to that I can't believe how much more grip these have than the Bridgestones I had on before. Cornering confidence is much improved (both in the dry and wet) and it feels like there's so much more that these tires are capable of. I'm definitely going to run out of talent before these run out of grip. The front also feels a bit more nimble, so dodging potholes and cats eyes is much easier now too.

Supplied and installed at Trac-Mac in Plumstead for just under R4400.