Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping dry on motorbikes?

Lurker
    Bike
    KTM DUKE 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Keeping dry on motorbikes?

I ride with my bike jacket and boots, normal works pants and gloves. Now like weeks like this i have a yellow construction rain overall i wear.

But that does not work... might as well not wear it.. im soaked when i get to work 20 min later.

On the same note how do i stop my visor fogging up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I resigned to the fact that I will get wet. Thus I ride in shorts and t-shirt under the gear and then change at work

As for the visor, Pinlock is the best. Nothing else I have tried works although I probably buff too much and wipe the chemicals off.

Basic practice is put on the substance (Potato, shaving cream, sunlight dishwashing liquid) onto the visor. Let it dry and then wipe it off with a clean dry cloth

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

If you need to ride during our rain period getting a proper bike rain suit is well worth the cost.

Agreed with Froggy. The only thing that really works well for a fogging visor is a pinlock inner visor. If your current visor is not a pinlock, there are inner visors available that can be added to most visors.

Lurker
    Bike
    KTM DUKE 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    If you need to ride during our rain period getting a proper bike rain suit is well worth the cost.

Agreed with Froggy. The only thing that really works well for a fogging visor is a pinlock inner visor. If your current visor is not a pinlock, there are inner visors available that can be added to most visors.
    Where and at what cost are these proper rain suites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Usually available at any of the bigger bike kit shops such as Full Throttle and probably somewhere from R400 - R1200.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Get Alpinestars waterproof boots, and Oxford Rain gear (I've got the rain pants @ R485) and my Alpinestars Amok Air's rain inner prevents a wet body. I don't get wet anymore.

You cannot get around wet hands though.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

my average thompsons rain coat works just fine, cost was like R250. the seams are heat sealed and the arms and legs have an elastic inner cuff.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Of course,the world's greatest rain suit does not help at all if lying on the shelve in the study ... *&(*&^*)(&(*&^)!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Of course,the world's greatest rain suit does not help at all if lying on the shelve in the study ... *&(*&^*)(&(*&^)!!!!!!!!!!!
    Reminder: AMZ be so kind as to walk into your study and collect your rain suit and place it in your topbox. It also makes great padding for laptop bags...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

I bought an Oxford rain suit way back from World of Accessories. Went back to complain that when riding with it in the rain it looks like I peed myself because the water enters at the pants seam...I was told to get silicon spray or something and that they are not waterproof.....So it would seem that many rain suits are meant to be worn when it is not raining....
    Ricers are bikers too!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Honda Silverwing 600FSC
    Region
    Gauteng

I thought all rainsuits are only waterproof for the first 6 months - thereafter you get used to having a wet crotch - even the expensive one's? (Yes I forked out and still get wet)
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!"

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

My suit's got a long jacket so, I pull it down and sort of hold it between me and the bike's tank. Crotch stays dry.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

I have a sneaky suspicion that some people just wet their pants when it's raining!!!

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng

i have work pant or jean pant , then i use a towel by the front of pant , then the rain pant
    i don't get wet by the front ..

as for visor i use a different towel over that as well so helmet don't get wet

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that some people just wet their pants when it's raining!!!
    It does keep one warm for a while during the ride...shhhh...

Works better in wet suits
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post
    i have work pant or jean pant , then i use a towel by the front of pant , then the rain pant
    ...So basically a biker nappy?
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post

as for visor i use a different towel over that as well so helmet don't get wet
    Your topbox?

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

What AMZ said. There are lots of ways of trying to get around getting soaked, but at the end of the day the only thing that really does the job is buying good kit. Decent waterproofs or a goretex / cordura outfit which is waterproof. A pinlock visor. Gloves and boots. This isn't cheap but it works.

One problem is that South Africa's blessed with great weather most of the year, so there's not really much incentive for bike shops to stock loads of waterproof gear. I'd argue that part of the problem is also the attitude of the average South African riding a larger capacity bike. There's little interest in investing in gear vs. buying a loud can and going to a rally. Think I'm being harsh? How many guys have you seen riding around on expensive bikes while wearing budget helmets? It's not that they can't afford a good lid, they just don't see the need. That's one reason why you don't find loads of bike shops stocking the higher end quality helmets in any kind of numbers. Maybe it's a combination of a lack of marketing effort on the part of shops / importers, the economy and rider attitudes. But I digress. Waterproofs are usually the last piece of kit riders think to buy, after the lid, jacket, gloves and boots etc.

In three years of despatch riding plus another 6+ years of riding and commuting in London/UK, I had a really good education in wet weather riding. Despatchers don't earn a fortune but the regulars / experienced riders never short-change on kit.

WATERPROOFS:

Some (cheaper) aren't waterproof for long, good ones aren't cheap, and stuff made for road workers or fishermen won't work on bikes.

1. You're looking for welded seams (what D3x! points out) and they need to be either elasticated or have taped/velcro closures at the cuffs. A one piece isn't sexy but it has fewer gaps. A good two piece can be more practical if there's a light shower and you aren't worried about your pants for the few minutes. Do the fasteners look cheap or like they'll last? Will they be a pain to use when you're wearing gloves?

2. So you've found a few candidates: Try them on over ALL of your gear including the helmet. Yes, you'll sweat in the shop. Try sitting on your bike or a similar bike on the showroom floor. Can you move freely enough, or are the knees/elbows/shoulders/crotch strained tight? Are they so loose that they'll flap around in the slipstream? Does the collar cover the gap between helmet and chest? Will the collar close over your Buff? Can your gloves fit under the sleeves? This is an old UK rider trick. Outside of a solid downpour, it stops water from running down the sleeve and into your gloves.

Ares they're talking twaddle. If the suit is good quality then it shouldn't leak, but Eaglewing makes a good point. Remember that every time you climb on and off the bike, you're stretching the crotch area. If there's stitching here then it'll eventually wear and leak. All that rain water hitting your chest flows straight down behind the tank and makes a nice puddle in your crotch. Silicon spray will do jack squat to help. A temp solution is to get beeswax from a hiking / outdoor shop (used to help seal boot stitching) and use it the same way, plus possibly re-tape the seam on the inside. It won't be a permanent fix though thanks to wear and tear.

"AMZ - Of course,the world's greatest rain suit does not help at all if lying on the shelve in the study ... *&(*&^*)(&(*&^)!!!!!!!!!!!" Speaking as a man who once forgot his waterproofs (London), got caught in a downpour on a distance delivery and "solved" it by buying a roll of bin bags & a roll of gaffa tape.... keep them under your saddle or in your rucksack / topbox if its rainy season or the weather is threatening. Keep a plastic shopping bag with them. If it starts to rain, put the bag over your boot & it'll help you to slide straight through the waterproofs leg without getting stuck or taking off your boot. Repeat for your other foot. Job done chop-chop.

GORETEX / CORDURA GEAR:

If you can afford the good stuff that's also fully waterproof, then go for it. And adopt me. One brand we all admired overseas was Rukka (Swedish IIRC). But you were looking at roughly 450 pounds for the jacket alone in 2001. I think BMW make some good kit and there will be others. The price is steeper but the advantage is that you don't have to worry about a rain suit.

GLOVES /HANDS:

KingMikel you're spot on on the kit (excellent brands) but you do have options on your hands. E.G. Alpinestars are/were doing a glove called the Gore365 which is close to a summer sports glove in design and feel, but fully waterproofed. Other manufacturers - mostly not available in SA - do as well. That'd be the best bet for our climate. Quite a lot of winter gloves are waterproof but they're also bulky and hot in an African summer downpour. It's fine if you can afford it, but for those in the cheap seats?

Some guys in the UK would just put plastic sandwich bags over their gloves for a short hop. Cheap & 100% waterproof but the feel isn't great. Some would wear surgical gloves under their gloves, but you'll sweat like mad unless its cold. Some guys would have two pairs of gloves, and wear the one pair on the rainy days. saving the others for the dry (or the next day if they were alternating drying them). Some even wore larger sized gardening gloves over their riding gloves.

Another alternative beloved by us Despatchers through winter and rainy seasons were handlebar mitts. Have a look at Oxford Products' main website in the UK. Not exactly stylish, but when the choice is sexy or practical you go practical. They fully enclose the handlebar controls, though you'll need something like the lever guards on adventure bikes to keep clearance for the levers. It'll take a little getting used to because you can't see your hands or switches, but for commuting in winter and wet? Unbeatable. Esp if you've got heated grips.
    London 2001 - at my flat, ready for work.jpg
    (This was a relatively dry day in autumn, starting my shift).

The ideal? Two pairs of gloves: one for good days, and one for rain.

BOOTS:

Another weak spot. There are good waterproof boots out there in various styles (Alpinestars Toucan is one for the adventure boys), although not too many in the full-on superbike race boot form. Mostly they're touring or adventure boots. If you can afford more than one pair of riding boots then apply the same logic as for gloves once you've done your market research.

A good workable though ugly alternative is a pair of waterproof overboots. They're slip-over with rubber half soles, and go over your normal boot. I wore out three sets over the despatching years (100 000 km heavy duty per year) and they worked a treat. I think Oxford make some, if not then look for Hein Gericke - a good German brand but I don't think anyone imports them.

Cheap fixes? For short hauls pull plastic shopping bags over your feet and cut off the excess once your boots are on.

VISOR:

Nothing beats a pinlock type system to beat misting. Just don't rub them to clean them. Use a mild solution of sunlight liquid in the sink and wash gently. There are rain clearing products available but they don't help with misting up. The only quirk you'll need to get used to (depending on how you've installed it) is a slight doubling effect under certain light conditions.

A good place to search out waterproof gear is RiDE magazine in the UK. They're the guys who do the RiDE Approved & Best Buy green tags after extensive tests on kit, which a lot of makers actively seek.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    SNIP...
    Dude, magnificent write up!!

I've got the A/S Windstoppers and the A/S Santiagos. Both help nothing.

My commuting/waterproof boots are the A/S Roam 2s

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Super insightful writeup, coming from a place of lived experience!!!!

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​