Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping dry on motorbikes?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    What AMZ said. There are lots of ways of trying to get around getting soaked, but at the end of the day the only thing that really
    A good place to search out waterproof gear is RiDE magazine in the UK. They're the guys who do the RiDE Approved & Best Buy green tags after extensive tests on kit, which a lot of makers actively seek.
    Excellent write up as usual Banditman. Clearly you do have the experience, which we may think we have, but we don't. For instance, up here in Gauteng, if I leave work for home, I would normally not bother with the rain suit anyway. It is not usually cold while raining here. It usually rains for 20 minutes and then the storm moves on. I have had many an occasion where I leave work in hard rain, soaking wet in 3 minutes and I arrive home 40 minutes later, almost dry. Even if still wet, there is a hot shower waiting. We don't really understand rain riding.

Our very moderate weather is nice, but it does create a side issue. It is not really worth the bucks to spend big money in dry and / or warm clothing. You can even see that in the way we build our homes. They leak air like a sieve. No need to spend the extra thousands to ensure 100% seals.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Thanks for the encouragement, gents.

That's a good point. We're seldom that inundated with heavy weather - I remember one stint of about 4 days where it seemed to rain or drizzle just about all day, every day - and by day 3 your sense of humour's gone half way through your 10 hour shift.

For South Africa I'd recommend buying the good gear if you're planning on doing much long distance year-round riding & touring, because it makes a real difference. For many of us your point about one-offs is 100%, AMZ. Another good one is waiting. Most heavy downpours seem to pass within 5-20 minutes. If you have to wait for it to pass before riding, or pull off into a petrol station or under a bridge and wait for the worst to pass then do so. That was a piece of advice given to me by a much more experienced DR in London.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.