Thread: Insuring 2 bikes affordably?

N00b
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Western Cape

Comment Insuring 2 bikes affordably?

I've been using Momentum Short term insurance which is by far cheaper than the competition for me. At around R700/month incl gear and some upgrades on the bike CBR1000RR 2004 for a 30 something male. Been insured for over a year, no accidents or claims.

Anyway so now I was interested in finding out the cost of owning a 2nd bike. Something more comfortable for longer distances. Because I love my bike and don't want to let it go.

Aside from having a more comfortable bike to go long distances on, or strap a bunch of panniers etc on, 2 bikes would also allow me to fiddle with one, and have it in pieces over a week or two and still have 2 wheels to ride on, and not be forced to use a car, which I currently share.

But momentum quoted me a figure for the new bike, and want me to pay the sum of both bikes insurance.

I said to them that I expect the total premium for both bikes should not be the sum of each individually because I cannot possibly be in an accident on both bikes at the same time. And if god-forbid one bike is written off, I'm very unlikely to climb onto the other one and then it also gets written off magically also. But they don't seem to share my logic.

So now I've asked about what if I just insure one for fire and theft, being locked in the garage, and then ride one for a month, then the other one for a month.
    Much less fun, but potentially much more affordable?

Anyway, owning 2 bikes looks like it's a bit out of my current budget.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Unity View Post
    I've been using Momentum Short term insurance which is by far cheaper than the competition for me. At around R700/month incl gear and some upgrades on the bike CBR1000RR 2004 for a 30 something male. Been insured for over a year, no accidents or claims.

Anyway so now I was interested in finding out the cost of owning a 2nd bike. Something more comfortable for longer distances. Because I love my bike and don't want to let it go.

Aside from having a more comfortable bike to go long distances on, or strap a bunch of panniers etc on, 2 bikes would also allow me to fiddle with one, and have it in pieces over a week or two and still have 2 wheels to ride on, and not be forced to use a car, which I currently share.

But momentum quoted me a figure for the new bike, and want me to pay the sum of both bikes insurance.

I said to them that I expect the total premium for both bikes should not be the sum of each individually because I cannot possibly be in an accident on both bikes at the same time. And if god-forbid one bike is written off, I'm very unlikely to climb onto the other one and then it also gets written off magically also. But they don't seem to share my logic.

So now I've asked about what if I just insure one for fire and theft, being locked in the garage, and then ride one for a month, then the other one for a month.
    Much less fun, but potentially much more affordable?

Anyway, owning 2 bikes looks like it's a bit out of my current budget.
    Seems a bit high for such an old bike?

My 2011 Tuono V4 and all my gear is insured with Omni for around R560. 30 Year old male with no crashes etc.

I have a second bike I use for commuting. 2010 Honda CBF600s and they quoted me R250 for this bike.

They also added it to the total monthly premium but not sure you mean it shouldn't be totaled together? I am confused lol

Give Omni a call and see what they say. They also cover track days.