Thread: First ride out on highway

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Default First ride out on highway

So, just sharing my first time riding out on highway over 10kms (Eastgate to Roodepoort) and my first official “long ride”, highway was practically empty and some motherf***ing idiot was right up my rear and flashing me while im in the lane right next to the slow lane (3rd lane from right). All other lanes were empty around me and i was doing 110/120 there... i did see him moving around behind me changing lanes and stuff but he chose to come right up to me.

Aside from that, it was quite an okay ride.

What would be the “ideal” response to a driver doing that?
    I kept between the right and center of my lane (“owning” it?) and kept my speed relatively constant.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post
    So, just sharing my first time riding out on highway over 10kms (Eastgate to Roodepoort) and my first official “long ride”, highway was practically empty and some motherf***ing idiot was right up my rear and flashing me while im in the lane right next to the slow lane (3rd lane from right). All other lanes were empty around me and i was doing 110/120 there... i did see him moving around behind me changing lanes and stuff but he chose to come right up to me.

What would be the “ideal” response to a driver doing that? Smile and wave Boys!
    I kept between the right and center of my lane (“owning” it?) and kept my speed relatively constant.
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

You did exactly the right thing, allowing yourself to be intimidated will lead to mistakes. By the same token, don't be too slow in the overtaking lane
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Lurker
    Bike
    '16 Kawasaki Z300
    Region
    Western Cape

Yesterday I rode to Maitland from N1 City. A scooter came down Sable Road onto the N1 towards town and basically held up the "slow lane" to around 65kph while the wind blew him around his lane. Even though i was doing around 110kph on the dial I still had people passing him and then flying up behind me to then sit on my ass... guy in a Audi A3 actually crept up and stayed in the lane and passed me while pushing me out the lane.

I genuinely think people just aren't bothered...they'll clip you and keep flying with no regard

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Wanted to wave with my middle finger lol.
    But yeah... He was in a 2 tonne bakkie with some really serious early morning aggression

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    You did exactly the right thing, allowing yourself to be intimidated will lead to mistakes. By the same token, don't be too slow in the overtaking lane
    Thanks, yeah I normally drop a gear (both in a car and bike) to overtake quickly and move back into the lane i came from - just in case someone is wanting to fly through me from behind in the overtaking lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Plank View Post
    Yesterday I rode to Maitland from N1 City. A scooter came down Sable Road onto the N1 towards town and basically held up the "slow lane" to around 65kph while the wind blew him around his lane. Even though i was doing around 110kph on the dial I still had people passing him and then flying up behind me to then sit on my ass... guy in a Audi A3 actually crept up and stayed in the lane and passed me while pushing me out the lane.

I genuinely think people just aren't bothered...they'll clip you and keep flying with no regard
    Seems like it... Total disregard for others on the road.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post

What would be the “ideal” response to a driver doing that?
    Personally, I would move over to the next lane, if save to do so. I do not like irritated drivers in vehicles bigger and heavier than my own, going nuts behind me.