Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter clothing?

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Winter clothing?

Howzit everyone , Currently I am freezing my bones off on the bike , I just started riding and need to buy gear , Can I get some guidance into getting gear for the winter (especially Jackets) - and wear in Summer , I am not keen on leather jackets , I went to Honda and looked at their Stealth Jacket , looks good? any comments will be appreciated...
    currently riding with boots , and jeans (a fellow worker suggested I wear stockings)
    Thanks guys

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Freezing already!? You are going to have some real fun come June and July! I suggest, every night before you go to sleep you repeat the following 20 times: "The cold is my friend!"

In most cases, buying clothing from a general kit store like Full Throttle, etc. give you more variety and better pricing.

I would avoid stockings. The work, but becomes hot during the day and will cause hairy legs to itch like crazy. I would suggest a X-Kulcha Easy Over. Use that winter and summer for a tad more heat and protection of your legs.

http://shop.xkulcha.com/xk-mens-easy...html?cat=16216

I don't like leather jackets either so I prefer Cordura. There are many options available, but a winter jacket should have, at least a removable inner as part of the jacket. Over the years I have found Assault Jackets the best balance between value for money and protection against the cold. But, as I said. Many options available.

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Freezing already!? You are going to have some real fun come June and July! I suggest, every night before you go to sleep you repeat the following 20 times: "The cold is my friend!"

In most cases, buying clothing from a general kit store like Full Throttle, etc. give you more variety and better pricing.

I would avoid stockings. The work, but becomes hot during the day and will cause hairy legs to itch like crazy. I would suggest a X-Kulcha Easy Over. Use that winter and summer for a tad more heat and protection of your legs.

http://shop.xkulcha.com/xk-mens-easy...html?cat=16216

I don't like leather jackets either so I prefer Cordura. There are many options available, but a winter jacket should have, at least a removable inner as part of the jacket. Over the years I have found Assault Jackets the best balance between value for money and protection against the cold. But, as I said. Many options available.
    those assault Jackets are really nice yes , how do they handle the cold & winds in winter? Full throttle sell them?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Assault is FT's in-house brand, so they import them and certainly sell them.

I have used my current one since 2008 (don't use in summer as I have a different summer jacket) and I have found:

- It will handle anything winter throws at it 100% for at least 45 minutes. Thereafter, still pretty good.
    - Worn since 2008 and still going, shows good quality.
    - Can be worn with, or without inner depending on temps and winds which is handy.
    - Get one loose fitting so in worst case you can add a track suit top or soft shell jacket underneath.
    - After a trip from JHB to Gariep Dam that August when it snowed all over and temps at noon were still single figures, I see it as well worth the price.

In general, unless you want to fork out upward of R4k, I would highly recommend the Assault. I use the longer touring one as I prefer that over a bunny jacket.

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Assault is FT's in-house brand, so they import them and certainly sell them.

I have used my current one since 2008 (don't use in summer as I have a different summer jacket) and I have found:

- It will handle anything winter throws at it 100% for at least 45 minutes. Thereafter, still pretty good.
    - Worn since 2008 and still going, shows good quality.
    - Can be worn with, or without inner depending on temps and winds which is handy.
    - Get one loose fitting so in worst case you can add a track suit top or soft shell jacket underneath.
    - After a trip from JHB to Gariep Dam that August when it snowed all over and temps at noon were still single figures, I see it as well worth the price.

In general, unless you want to fork out upward of R4k, I would highly recommend the Assault. I use the longer touring one as I prefer that over a bunny jacket.
    will give full throttle a shout

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

R1900 , they don't have stock ai

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Neltf View Post
    R1900 , they don't have stock ai

No stock? FT? That is terrible, especially since Assault is their brand!

Did you try the Edenvale branch as well?

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

No stock? FT? That is terrible, especially since Assault is their brand!

Did you try the Edenvale branch as well?
    I phoned the edenval branch yes

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Weird that the don't have. There are other makes available if you are in a hurry, but you do have time. The cold that make us big, bad bikers cry a little every morning is still a month or two away.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

lol you sissy it isn't even remotely cold yet? get yourself a buff, a canvas type touring style jacket, some thick gloves, easy overs and long thick socks with boots.

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Hahahaha , okay okay...
    no , I got my mind set on the Assault , they are nice also

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Weird that the don't have. There are other makes available if you are in a hurry, but you do have time. The cold that make us big, bad bikers cry a little every morning is still a month or two away.
    not in a hurry yet , what other brands are there?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Sorry, can't help as there are many and I can't think of any now. If Assault is your choice, wait awhile, but perhaps visit a few shops and have a look see at the various types.

Do remember a "neck warmer" of some sort as well. Winter gloves also a great idea.

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Sorry, can't help as there are many and I can't think of any now. If Assault is your choice, wait awhile, but perhaps visit a few shops and have a look see at the various types.

Do remember a "neck warmer" of some sort as well. Winter gloves also a great idea.
    Awesome , thank you

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

FT has gone downhill VERY quickly.........

I have been waiting for two months now for brake pads and oil filters that I ordered. I ended up going to Moto Mate in Rivonia last week and got the stuff immediately.
    I suggest you make a turn there as well as they are very well stocked and if they order something that they do not have in stock, you will get in withing a few days.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    FT has gone downhill VERY quickly.........

I have been waiting for two months now for brake pads and oil filters that I ordered. I ended up going to Moto Mate in Rivonia last week and got the stuff immediately.
    I suggest you make a turn there as well as they are very well stocked and if they order something that they do not have in stock, you will get in withing a few days.
    Any suggested brands that is winter proof?

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

so , went to FT today ,spoke to the guy at sales , apparently they bring dont bring in ASSAULT jackets anymore , this brings me back to their Stealth jackets coming in at R1700(new stock)

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Neltf View Post
    Any suggested brands that is winter proof?
    RST makes very good quality stuff. Designed in the UK and they know a thing or 6 about cold weather.
    And the RST stuff is not that expensive.

I have an RST Ventilator III jacket that I used to use before my accident and with the waterproof liner and thermal liner installed, I was warm in winter. I used to wear a thin long sleeve shirt under the jacket and only on the coldest nights I would suffer a bit. The Ventilator III is literally full of holes and is a "three season" jacket. It flows tons of air and works lekker in our summers as well, but with the two liners (can be installed in the jacket independently or combined), makes for a neat all round package.

Sometimes I would wear my Kway jacket over the RST if it was REALLY cold and it worked wonders. I also have an Alpinestars T-GPR textile jacket with thermal liner and waterproof liner and it also works perfectly for cold weather.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

I bought a Berik jacket when I started riding and I am still using it 5 years later. They are pricey but they have airflow for the Summer and a decent winter lining that you can zip in or out for Winter time.
    Layers are definitely good. I wear stockings in Winter and they help a lot not sure if you are a female rider or a male but I think you will be fine wearing them if you are a female...hopefully your legs are not as hairy as AMZ's ...
    Also if you are a lady rider Moto Girl has some really nice pants for us. I bought a pair at RITV over the weekend and they are comfortable to ride in, look good and I think they might be nice and warm for Winter... will let you know once it gets here
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    2012 Honda cbx 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    RST makes very good quality stuff. Designed in the UK and they know a thing or 6 about cold weather.
    And the RST stuff is not that expensive.

I have an RST Ventilator III jacket that I used to use before my accident and with the waterproof liner and thermal liner installed, I was warm in winter. I used to wear a thin long sleeve shirt under the jacket and only on the coldest nights I would suffer a bit. The Ventilator III is literally full of holes and is a "three season" jacket. It flows tons of air and works lekker in our summers as well, but with the two liners (can be installed in the jacket independently or combined), makes for a neat all round package.

Sometimes I would wear my Kway jacket over the RST if it was REALLY cold and it worked wonders. I also have an Alpinestars T-GPR textile jacket with thermal liner and waterproof liner and it also works perfectly for cold weather.
    Thanks , who sells RST?