Thread: Track-Daze at Phakisa 3rd and 4th February 2018

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Track-Daze at Phakisa 3rd and 4th February 2018

So is anyone here joining us at Phakisa next weekend?

R1200 for both days or R850 for one day (either Saturday or Sunday). Book here: http://www.track-daze.co.za/
    Loads of track time. 7 sessions for each class per day so get booking and join the best track day organisers around and let rip.

Today is 9 months since my accident and next weekend will be the first time I am taking the bike to a track after the rebuild.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki ZX10R & 2010 Honda CB1000R
    Region
    Gauteng

Howzit Skully, I intended on going but alas house repairs came first so finances are not allowing I did my first ever track day last year with Track Daze at Phakisa last year in October. It was the best experience ever !!! I just wanted to keep on going, ten minutes went by way too quickly! It becomes like an addiction, you just want to go again and again. I'm definitely planning on going in October again this year!

Have fun and keep the rubber side down ! Post some pics, times and report if you can
    PS. I'm super jealous

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Dre

I love the Track-Daze crew. Everyone is top notch. I am driving down in a van with two of the instructors and their bikes. Known them both for ages (and got the RSV4 bodywork from the one).
    I am taking my camera gear and my drone with and will hopefully get some shots and footage as well.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO5AgnRmr8Q some info on target fixation

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinD View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO5AgnRmr8Q some info on target fixation

Seen that happen all too often at track days. Luckily I have not had that happen to me. Touch wood.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Howzit Skully, How was Phakisa this past weekend?

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dre77 View Post
    Howzit Skully, How was Phakisa this past weekend?
    Aloha!

What a jol!

Left Pta at 4:30am on Saturday morning, picked up another friend in Centurion, then off to Phakisa we went.
    Got there, unloaded two bikes, dropped our kit, and off to rider's briefing.

I was in Class C and did the first session, skipped the second, did the third, skipped the fourth, did the fifth and called it a day.
    Did not want to overdo it and overstress my left leg. The thigh muscles are still healing and building strength. My ankle and foot was OK at the end of the day, just a bit tired.

I was scared as hell before the first session.... doubt did creep in, but I cleared my head on the second lap and decided to ride and stop fearing anything.
    And I use my whole left leg to change gears (as can be seen in the vid below) because my ankle is locked in place.
    There is a GP shift setup (1 up and 5 down) and I think I am coping nicely. My foot is not strong enough to bend the boot yet. The front of my foot can move up and down enough to change gears, but once the strenth builds in it, I will be able to move the boot and not use my whole leg.
    It makes it interesting to ride as I have to grip the tank with my legs and use the left leg to change gears.

Methinks I did pretty well so far.

First session I did a 2'11.940" which was the 6th quickest.
    Third session was a 2'10.325" which was second quickest.
    Fifth session was a 2'08.999" (7th).

Sunday morning first session I did a 2'08.115" (2nd).

And then I got some good tips about turns 9 and 10 after the back straight where I was hugging the inside way too much.

And after putting the instructors advice into practice....... an instant 5 seconds chopped off to get a 2'03.424" quickest lap. And that is just from one part of the track. I know i can go quicker, but i am building up to it. Baby steps. First time back on a bike in nine months and first time at Phakisa on a bike in over 15 years. I did well.

Pics from the days will be added here tomorrow night, but for now, here are two vids:

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Awesome write up!

Glad to hear it went well. Looks like a really nice track.

Making me miss my Tuono now

It has the dreaded dead stator issue. Took it in for a valve service and stator decided it was a good time to die. So this is going to be a very expensive trip to the dealer...

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

nice one, what an achievement cant wait to see the pics
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Awesome man!! Sounds and looks like you had a huge jol!! Awesome vids..looking forward to the pics

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Loaded the bike on the neighbours trailer on Friday afternoon (I don't have a trailer yet, busy organising):

At friends place at 5am Saturday morning:

On the way to Phakisa (best sight out of a rear window, ever):

I rode with Mathew and Heins in Mathew's van. Both are instructors for Track-Daze. Ain't I lucky to be friends with these two awesome dudes!

Phakisa entrance flooded due to crap drainage and everyone had to detour around another route...... been a major issue for years now:

And here we go:

Pitted with Mathew and another instructor, Gerhard, in the Adrenalin Powersport pit:

Registered for Class C and scrutineered:

After the first session:

2'11.940':

3rd session (2'10.325'):

5th session (2'08.999'):

And then Sunday's two sessions:

2'08.115':

And then after my cornering lessons in turns 9 and 10:

2'03.424':

All in, I am VERY happy I can still ride a bike, even with a funny left leg and an ankle that cannot move.
    Next up will be Big Z on a Wednesday for some fun to see how I do there.

But I am still amazed that just over 9 months ago, I had a 50/50 chance of losing my left foot and now I can peddle a bike around a track at a pretty decent pace.

*insert proud face here*

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

And some pics from Saturday taken by Gerrit Erasmus of Beam Productions. I will get Sundays pics by him soon.

Remember, my left leg is still recovering and building strength so my body position needs loads of work and I can in future hang off the bike a lot more.

Gear used:

RST Tractech Evo II one piece suit
    RST Tractech Evo boots
    RST Tractech Evo gloves
    Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1 back protector
    Bell Race Star helmet in matt black with custom stickers by me

Yes.... I am an RST slut

I am not a big guy. 5"11" and 76kg, but the bike looks like a 250 in size. I love the way it looks on track in it's new clothes. Makes me even more proud.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Kid with a new toy! Enjoy!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Awesome pics Skully! I wish they took pics of when I went in October last year... Would love some pics like those!

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S :( ... Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 :-( .2015 Harley Street 750. 2011 Daytona 675!
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice riding! Sweet double apex on the toe of the boot... apparently that's how you are supposed to do it.
    I feel like you were holding back on uncini two so you didn't use up all the track.

I wish I could get on track after being wary and hit the times you did! well done!
    I'm heading to Phakisa on Friday
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...