View Poll Results: Moving Traffic Violations: Do you pay timeously or not?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

2 40.00%
  • Yes

3 60.00%
  • I way my options depending on nature of offense

0 0%
  • It's money making scheme, thus willing to risk an arrest

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying Traffic Fine

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Paying Traffic Fine

I got a traffic fine from the speed cops earlier this month. Charge: "Numberpate incorrectly displayed on motorcycle". Small amount of R200. I was honest with the man in blue - I do it (partially covering the plate) for e-tolls and nothing else. I'd just done +700km on the highway, keeping to the speed limit!

So yesterday I went to pay the fine (took money out of my cookie jar), paid it in 2 transactions - 1st transaction was silvers, second transaction was bronze. Now, teller tells me each cash deposit is R60 PLUS 1.75% of value. Yesterday my cookie jar's money was R65 for 1st transaction, and R12 for the other transaction. I still need to go and pay the remaining someday before it expires. I used same reference number.

WHY AM I TELLING YOU?

Is this going to be an accounting nightmare for the Department of Transport I wonder, or should I expect a warrant of arrest soon even though I would have settled the R200 in 5 cash transactions before expiry date?
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    I got a traffic fine from the speed cops earlier this month. Charge: "Numberpate incorrectly displayed on motorcycle". Small amount of R200. I was honest with the man in blue - I do it (partially covering the plate) for e-tolls and nothing else. I'd just done +700km on the highway, keeping to the speed limit!

So yesterday I went to pay the fine (took money out of my cookie jar), paid it in 2 transactions - 1st transaction was silvers, second transaction was bronze. Now, teller tells me each cash deposit is R60 PLUS 1.75% of value. Yesterday my cookie jar's money was R65 for 1st transaction, and R12 for the other transaction. I still need to go and pay the remaining someday before it expires. I used same reference number.

WHY AM I TELLING YOU?

Is this going to be an accounting nightmare for the Department of Transport I wonder, or should I expect a warrant of arrest soon even though I would have settled the R200 in 5 cash transactions before expiry date?
    I think their accounting system should be handle the reconciliation of the transactions and apply a full credit to your "account", assuming references numbers and such are captured correctly.

One question though, is the reason for the cash payment because the fine does not appear on internet banking, payfines, etc?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm just being a pain in the butt for the system! I suppose I'm simply inconveniencing myself by queuing in the bank to make a cash deposit (suffering lesson thus hopefully won't break the law again), but also loading the "cash deposit fee" amount . I could have settled the amount in a single go, but I'm thinking of other ways of getting the balance of the cash - would like to see how empathetic other citizens are to me - so don't get a shock seeing a beggar wearing ATGATT at an intersection near you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hastex View Post
    One question though, is the reason for the cash payment because the fine does not appear on internet banking, payfines, etc?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

you seem to be a bit of an idiot inconveniencing yourself like this...

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm just being a pain in the butt for the system! I suppose I'm simply inconveniencing myself by queuing in the bank to make a cash deposit (suffering lesson thus hopefully won't break the law again), but also loading the "cash deposit fee" amount . I could have settled the amount in a single go, but I'm thinking of other ways of getting the balance of the cash - would like to see how empathetic other citizens are to me - so don't get a shock seeing a beggar wearing ATGATT at an intersection near you!!!
    No no no, its self-inflicted pain this. Besides, no one gives money to anyone for free these days.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

An idiot for breaking the law and thinking I should get away with it. If the book was to be thrown at me, I was/am "defeating the ends of justice" by deliberately concealing my number plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    you seem to be a bit of an idiot inconveniencing yourself like this...

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

An idiot for breaking the law and thinking I should get away with it. If the book was to be thrown at me, I was/am "defeating the ends of justice" by deliberately concealing my number plate.
    I have my plate under my bike in a somewhat hidden way, but the plate is standard size, most e-tolls don't seem to get me (the top half of the plate tends to be out of site under the bike). Anyway, EMPD stops me on the N3 one time (for speeding) and charge me a 'special' off-book fine. As take-off they question me about the plate's visibility and tell me to go fix it.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

your comment seems incoherent in response to the quote

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

I was being diplomatic and not being confrontational to be called an idiot and reacting like one in response to the name calling
    Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    your comment seems incoherent in response to the quote

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I was being diplomatic and not being confrontational to be called an idiot and reacting like one in response to the name calling
    mkay idiot

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

You willing and with intent broke the law. Pay the fine.

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    You willing and with intent broke the law. Pay the fine.

Exactly!
    I have said many times - if you do the crime be prepared to do the time.
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Coachman View Post
    Exactly!
    I have said many times - if you do the crime be prepared to do the time.
    (He?) is seemingly paying the fine, I still get why the more difficult (and more expensive) payment method was chosen. Sure it is nice to have somewhere to dump those old coins but bank queues and deposit fees? Seems a bit much to me.

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

(He?) is seemingly paying the fine, I still get why the more difficult (and more expensive) payment method was chosen. Sure it is nice to have somewhere to dump those old coins but bank queues and deposit fees? Seems a bit much to me.
    Agree!
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Seems like incredibly hard work.

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

@Hastex - you have a PM
    Coachman

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

It's like that moment when the prefect made one write 1000 lines of "I will not look up the skirt of the Scottish teacher again!". Hard work, and hopefully the young one will learn NOT to do it again.

I could have chosen the easy route - EFT - but I doubt there will be a lesson for me or my fellow countrymen. Waiting in the bank queue and having to count all those coins was not fun!!!! I think many a times it's so easy to just make it go away, yet I wonder if there is a lesson learnt in the exercise. I suppose also the beancounters at DoT will get to do some work for a change (no pun intended).
    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Seems like incredibly hard work.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Well, the recipient is charged the cash deposit fee, not me (arguably I am paying for this as a law abiding tax payer). The value of my deposited amount remains the same. And on the fine it doesn't say anything about me NOT paying in cash at the bank.
    Sure it is nice to have somewhere to dump those old coins but bank queues and deposit fees?

TB's WebMaster
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 1000
    Region
    Gauteng

They could refuse to set those amounts off against your fine as they exceed the maximum amount that is regarded as legal tender when using coins as payment.

The maximum amounts that may be paid using coins are as follows:

• fifty rand, where coin of the denomination of one rand or higher are so tendered;
    • five rand, where coin of denominations of ten cents up to and including fifty cents are so tendered;
    • fifty cents, where coin of the denomination of five cents or less are so tendered.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

But they already accepted it by taking the money...didnt they?
    Ricers are bikers too!