View Poll Results: Moving Traffic Violations: Do you pay timeously or not?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    2 40.00%
  • Yes

    3 60.00%
  • I way my options depending on nature of offense

    0 0%
  • It's money making scheme, thus willing to risk an arrest

    0 0%
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Paying Traffic Fine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default Paying Traffic Fine

    I got a traffic fine from the speed cops earlier this month. Charge: "Numberpate incorrectly displayed on motorcycle". Small amount of R200. I was honest with the man in blue - I do it (partially covering the plate) for e-tolls and nothing else. I'd just done +700km on the highway, keeping to the speed limit!

    So yesterday I went to pay the fine (took money out of my cookie jar), paid it in 2 transactions - 1st transaction was silvers, second transaction was bronze. Now, teller tells me each cash deposit is R60 PLUS 1.75% of value. Yesterday my cookie jar's money was R65 for 1st transaction, and R12 for the other transaction. I still need to go and pay the remaining someday before it expires. I used same reference number.


    WHY AM I TELLING YOU?

    Is this going to be an accounting nightmare for the Department of Transport I wonder, or should I expect a warrant of arrest soon even though I would have settled the R200 in 5 cash transactions before expiry date?
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  2. #2
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Gauteng
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    I got a traffic fine from the speed cops earlier this month. Charge: "Numberpate incorrectly displayed on motorcycle". Small amount of R200. I was honest with the man in blue - I do it (partially covering the plate) for e-tolls and nothing else. I'd just done +700km on the highway, keeping to the speed limit!

    So yesterday I went to pay the fine (took money out of my cookie jar), paid it in 2 transactions - 1st transaction was silvers, second transaction was bronze. Now, teller tells me each cash deposit is R60 PLUS 1.75% of value. Yesterday my cookie jar's money was R65 for 1st transaction, and R12 for the other transaction. I still need to go and pay the remaining someday before it expires. I used same reference number.


    WHY AM I TELLING YOU?

    Is this going to be an accounting nightmare for the Department of Transport I wonder, or should I expect a warrant of arrest soon even though I would have settled the R200 in 5 cash transactions before expiry date?
    I think their accounting system should be handle the reconciliation of the transactions and apply a full credit to your "account", assuming references numbers and such are captured correctly.

    One question though, is the reason for the cash payment because the fine does not appear on internet banking, payfines, etc?

  3. #3
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default

    I'm just being a pain in the butt for the system! I suppose I'm simply inconveniencing myself by queuing in the bank to make a cash deposit (suffering lesson thus hopefully won't break the law again), but also loading the "cash deposit fee" amount . I could have settled the amount in a single go, but I'm thinking of other ways of getting the balance of the cash - would like to see how empathetic other citizens are to me - so don't get a shock seeing a beggar wearing ATGATT at an intersection near you!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hastex View Post
    One question though, is the reason for the cash payment because the fine does not appear on internet banking, payfines, etc?
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  4. #4
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    417

    Default

    you seem to be a bit of an idiot inconveniencing yourself like this...

  5. #5
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default

    An idiot for breaking the law and thinking I should get away with it. If the book was to be thrown at me, I was/am "defeating the ends of justice" by deliberately concealing my number plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    you seem to be a bit of an idiot inconveniencing yourself like this...
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  6. #6
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Gauteng
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    An idiot for breaking the law and thinking I should get away with it. If the book was to be thrown at me, I was/am "defeating the ends of justice" by deliberately concealing my number plate.
    I have my plate under my bike in a somewhat hidden way, but the plate is standard size, most e-tolls don't seem to get me (the top half of the plate tends to be out of site under the bike). Anyway, EMPD stops me on the N3 one time (for speeding) and charge me a 'special' off-book fine. As take-off they question me about the plate's visibility and tell me to go fix it.

  7. #7
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    An idiot for breaking the law and thinking I should get away with it. If the book was to be thrown at me, I was/am "defeating the ends of justice" by deliberately concealing my number plate.
    your comment seems incoherent in response to the quote

  8. #8
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Gauteng
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    I'm just being a pain in the butt for the system! I suppose I'm simply inconveniencing myself by queuing in the bank to make a cash deposit (suffering lesson thus hopefully won't break the law again), but also loading the "cash deposit fee" amount . I could have settled the amount in a single go, but I'm thinking of other ways of getting the balance of the cash - would like to see how empathetic other citizens are to me - so don't get a shock seeing a beggar wearing ATGATT at an intersection near you!!!
    No no no, its self-inflicted pain this. Besides, no one gives money to anyone for free these days.

  9. #9
    TB's WebMaster
    Paul Bedford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 1000
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    So yesterday I went to pay the fine (took money out of my cookie jar), paid it in 2 transactions - 1st transaction was silvers, second transaction was bronze. Now, teller tells me each cash deposit is R60 PLUS 1.75% of value. Yesterday my cookie jar's money was R65 for 1st transaction, and R12 for the other transaction. I still need to go and pay the remaining someday before it expires. I used same reference number.


    They could refuse to set those amounts off against your fine as they exceed the maximum amount that is regarded as legal tender when using coins as payment.

    The maximum amounts that may be paid using coins are as follows:


    • fifty rand, where coin of the denomination of one rand or higher are so tendered;
    • five rand, where coin of denominations of ten cents up to and including fifty cents are so tendered;
    • fifty cents, where coin of the denomination of five cents or less are so tendered.

  10. #10
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    But they already accepted it by taking the money...didnt they?
    Ricers are bikers too!

  11. #11
    TB's WebMaster
    Paul Bedford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 1000
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    But they already accepted it by taking the money...didnt they?
    The bank accepted it on their behalf. I have no idea what the legal position is.

  12. #12
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Gauteng
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Next time, lets all agree to use the technology at our disposal, log into that internet banking, click click clickity click and it done!

    On the note of fines,

    Does the 32-day 50% discount period still apply? I got a R600 fine for driving (not riding) at 78km/h in a 60km/h zone.. I thought it was an 80km/h zone.
    I don't want to leave the fine unpaid then it turns into a 1200 fine.... I have a feeling there was no discount on this one.

  13. #13
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Now that is a pigeon amongst the doves for real. Will be interesting to get a letter from the prosecutor telling me that they have rejected my payment and that they will refund me so I may "settle it as follows".
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bedford View Post
    They could refuse to set those amounts off against your fine as they exceed the maximum amount that is regarded as legal tender when using coins as payment.

    The maximum amounts that may be paid using coins are as follows:


    • fifty rand, where coin of the denomination of one rand or higher are so tendered;
    • five rand, where coin of denominations of ten cents up to and including fifty cents are so tendered;
    • fifty cents, where coin of the denomination of five cents or less are so tendered.
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  14. #14
    Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On Da Woes Rand
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; Sym Jet14 200; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Very sneaky, Mr Ntjamme!
    Kudos for testing the system. Let us know if we must bring you a cake with a jail key inside.
    I don't think the others 'got' what you were reporting.

    Let us know what the bean counters say! Don't expect them to be happy. And MmaBongi may not let you out of the house again!
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •