Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Grade Discussion

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by david h View Post
    You may have a point there....it could explain why some bikes can accelerate like a scalded cat!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

So just to get a better understanding, I can happily run either 93 or 95 and have no worries of the bike/car packing up? All are FI.

Spanner in the works, I'm importing a vehicle directly from Japan in the new year, hope our fuel will be OK.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    So just to get a better understanding, I can happily run either 93 or 95 and have no worries of the bike/car packing up? All are FI.

Spanner in the works, I'm importing a vehicle directly from Japan in the new year, hope our fuel will be OK.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...early-11948623

https://www.iol.co.za/business-repor...ations-2063696

https://www.biznews.com/sustainable-...ns-unworkable/

MUCH bigger problems than octane ratings.

Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    My understanding is that 95 is required at sea level due to the higher atmospheric pressure which will increase the compression pressure in the motor which causes pinging The atmosphere on the Reef (and Lesotho) is 17% less than at sea level thus reducing compression in the motor. Therefore 93 is safe at these altitudes.

What this means for a turbocharged motor, I'm not sure.

Interestingly, my Fazer runs a 12.2: 1 compression ratio and yet can run 87 octane safely according to the manufacturer: go figure

Uhm... you get 93 and 95 inland. At the coast only 93.
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post

How do you "import" a vehicle directly? That is illegal (to protect our local motor industry). You can but a Japan import but can only use it in Namibia, Botswna, Zim or Moz. You cannot license it here. And certainly insurance is difficult because parts availability is lacking outside our official range.

There are some outfits that import "grey" bikes. But they are risky and the official importers won't honour any warranty claims. (Usually you see them with 'mph' clocks, etc.
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by 747 View Post
    Disagree; I suggest you check your facts.

There are some outfits that import "grey" bikes. But they are risky and the official importers won't honour any warranty claims. (Usually you see them with 'mph' clocks, etc.
    I have a 2004 KLR650 imported and sold by Kawasaki South Africa which has the speedo predominantly marked in mph as well as in (smaller) km/h. (Odo reads in miles). The headlight beam is correctly orientated for riding on the left.

20171214_152520 (1077 x 605).jpg
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

At the coast only 95.

Bike
    Yamaha YZF R6
    Region
    Gauteng

Interesting discussion.

With regards to Sasol, I was under the impression that they only have 10ppm diesel, which I have used from time to time on the diesel vehicle. I have always used one brand of fuel 95 on my bike (2003 R6) and my car (Astra OPC). One day while running low on fuel, i stopped at a Shell garage and proceeded to fill up the Astra with 95. Later on I realized that the car felt a lot more responsive and was wondering if in fact it could be the actual fuel. As far as I knew all fuel in SA originates from the same place, ( I could be wrong). Tried the same on my bike, and the bike felt more responsive as well. Now I stick to Shell. My fuel consumption did suffer a bit on both car and bike.

The above is my experience and my feeling with both the car and bike. Its not scientific as neither vehicle was put on a dyno before and after. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

The mind is a strong thing hey. Put the foot to the metal brother!
    Quote Originally Posted by 200ts View Post
    Interesting discussion.

With regards to Sasol, I was under the impression that they only have 10ppm diesel, which I have used from time to time on the diesel vehicle. I have always used one brand of fuel 95 on my bike (2003 R6) and my car (Astra OPC). One day while running low on fuel, i stopped at a Shell garage and proceeded to fill up the Astra with 95. Later on I realized that the car felt a lot more responsive and was wondering if in fact it could be the actual fuel. As far as I knew all fuel in SA originates from the same place, ( I could be wrong). Tried the same on my bike, and the bike felt more responsive as well. Now I stick to Shell. My fuel consumption did suffer a bit on both car and bike.

The above is my experience and my feeling with both the car and bike. Its not scientific as neither vehicle was put on a dyno before and after. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by 200ts View Post
    Interesting discussion.

While I am usually the first person to say, petrol is petrol I get the same feeling with Shell. Is this imagination? I don't know as there should be no reason for this to happen.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Schummie feeling for real!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    While I am usually the first person to say, petrol is petrol I get the same feeling with Shell. Is this imagination? I don't know as there should be no reason for this to happen.

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

I'm a bit hazy in the memory department but I recall it was along the lines of Time magazine, in the early 90's, ran 3 identical cars on 5 tanks of fuel, each car using a specific brand only. Cars using Shell were running better at the end of the test.

My question was "How much did Shell pay the Journo's?"

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by -Az- View Post
    I'm a bit hazy in the memory department but I recall it was along the lines of Time magazine, in the early 90's, ran 3 identical cars on 5 tanks of fuel, each car using a specific brand only. Cars using Shell were running better at the end of the test.

My question was "How much did Shell pay the Journo's?"
    HAHA! Clearly enough.