Thread: To replace or not to Replace

Lurker
    Bike
    2014 ZX10R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default To replace or not to Replace

I think I know you guys are going to say replace, but just wanted to make sure...

I was involved in an accident on 3 November approx. 40km per hour while splitting (Not in the suicide lane). I got my bike back today from the repairer, and the broken bones seem to have healed too.

Question is should I replace my helmet, to the eye it looks fine? (I was a ass and I forgot specify it on my new insurance)

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

Did it hit anything?

Photo's of Helmet?
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    Did it hit anything?
    What he said.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Was there another party involved, and was the accident deemed his\her fault? If so, then claim it back from their insurance. If not...pity.

A Merc decided to turn in front of me at a junction 2 years or so ago, I claimed my helmet from their insurance. It was how ever scratched up, so did make friends with the road at some point.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Lurker
    Bike
    2014 ZX10R
    Region
    Gauteng

Attached are the Pics, The only thing it hit was the road

IMG_4505.jpgIMG_4504.jpg

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

The road is quite a hard thing to hit...

The rule of thumb, as I understand it, is that it should be replaced due to possible micro cracks in the shell that might weaken it or the foam already getting compacted all of which could expose you to more danger the next time it hits the road with your head it in....

Luckily for you (If a silver lining is to be sought) its December, so you might still be able to snatch up a few Christmas\New years specials if there are any....
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

It looks like a glancing blow, not very hard so probably ok. A hard impact at 90 degrees would have damaged it more. Take it to a dealer for opinion.
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

When I came off on the N1 a few years ago, also did not hit my head hard (from what I can remember) and walked away from the tumble.

Wife insisted that I get x-rayed and for a laugh, I put the helmet thru as well even though it had no more than paint/visor scratches. Lo-and-behold, x-ray showed micro-cracks and compression of the foam inserts - exactly what it was supposed to do - once and once only!

Replace.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    When I came off on the N1 a few years ago, also did not hit my head hard (from what I can remember) and walked away from the tumble.

Wife insisted that I get x-rayed and for a laugh, I put the helmet thru as well even though it had no more than paint/visor scratches. Lo-and-behold, x-ray showed micro-cracks and compression of the foam inserts - exactly what it was supposed to do - once and once only!

Replace.
    Who made this "diagnosis" ? Based on what? Can we see these XRays?
    Human diagnostic radiology equipment is not meant for this. It is most unlikely to yield an image that you could draw such conclusions from, never having XRayed a normal helmet before. XRay imaging is literally just throwing a shadow. A complicated 3D shape like a helmet will do just that, throw a shadow. And you're diagnosing micro-cracks? We can't even see micro-cracks in human bone.

And foam compression? haha
    Foam is radio-lucent, unlikely to show up at all. You have no control image of what the foam looked like before either.

To the original poster:

So you come off your bike and your helmet hits the road a glancing blow, leaving the marks we see there. Now, apparently, the helmet is incapable of safely protecting you in the future, so you must replace it.

But wait!! You are still sliding down the road at a pace until eventually your head hits the kerb stone hard and comes to a violent stop.
    Now, either your helmet has become incapable of safely protecting you from this second impact, or Shark engineered it properly and it does its job as it was intended to do. What do you think? Single impact device or capable of saving you from the second impact too?

I would still use that helmet, but I would have a lowered threshold for buying a new one.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post

So you come off your bike and your helmet hits the road a glancing blow, leaving the marks we see there. Now, apparently, the helmet is incapable of safely protecting you in the future, so you must replace it.

But wait!! You are still sliding down the road at a pace until eventually your head hits the kerb stone hard and comes to a violent stop.
    Now, either your helmet has become incapable of safely protecting you from this second impact, or Shark engineered it properly and it does its job as it was intended to do. What do you think? Single impact device or capable of saving you from the second impact too?

I would still use that helmet, but I would have a lowered threshold for buying a new one.
    Agree with Carbon here.

Lurker
    Bike
    2014 ZX10R
    Region
    Gauteng

thank you guys I appreciate all your feedback

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    What do you think? Single impact device or capable of saving you from the second impact too?
    Good point...But then how many glancing blows are too many? 2? 10?

While I doubt that I would have replaced the helmet, I can understand why it is recommended after an off...
    Ricers are bikers too!