Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police vs Bike

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Police vs Bike

Just want to know how the South African Police treat bikers.

Slow Searcher
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

If your bike is licensed, roadworthy and conforms to the law e.g. have a license plate, mirrors (plenty track bikes on the road without mirrors), etc and your drivers license is valid then generally you won't have issues. They will just stop you to check your license and if in order you on your way. But if there is anything wrong with the bike or your license you will probably get a fine and depending on their mood and severity of any infringement they could want to impound the bike at worst. In genral they do have a good attitude towards bikers.

PS: I was stopped yesterday morning by a very friendly Tshwane metro officer who just wanted to check my bike and driver's license. We had a friendly chat while he checked everything (including for a flipper plate). Afterwards he let me go with a smile.

Don't take life too seriously....nobody gets out alive!!!

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

That's good to hear!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Never had a problem.

Biker
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Se here, I had an incident once where I misjudged a traffic light and ended up going over a red light with the cop right behind me. She pulled me over and after realising it was an innocent mistake, pleaded with me to be careful because cagers don't look out for bikers. I think as long as you have a good attitude, you should be fine most of the time

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Never had a problem.
    Agree, since 1992 I have had very little interaction with cops. If you abide by the law they generally leave you alone. Yes, we do get stopped but as a rule I think bikers are treated the way they respond to the interaction with the law. Yes, I have had my share of speed issues, but then again never excessive speed.

I find that when you are stopped, put the bike on the stand, take the helmet off and stand next to the bike. I thing generally the cops think you have something to hide if you keep the helmet and sunglasses on while sitting on an idling bike. Cops seem to "profile" bikers and if you are different to the profile you are OK. I have had many "Dankie Oom" or "Eish Umkhulu, nice bike" I just smile and wave..Oh it helps if you speak the language..
    “You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know.”

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Agree, since 1992 I have had very little interaction with cops. If you abide by the law they generally leave you alone. Yes, we do get stopped but as a rule I think bikers are treated the way they respond to the interaction with the law. Yes, I have had my share of speed issues, but then again never excessive speed.

I find that when you are stopped, put the bike on the stand, take the helmet off and stand next to the bike. I thing generally the cops think you have something to hide if you keep the helmet and sunglasses on while sitting on an idling bike. Cops seem to "profile" bikers and if you are different to the profile you are OK. I have had many "Dankie Oom" or "Eish Umkhulu, nice bike" I just smile and wave..Oh it helps if you speak the language..

I know Nothing in Zulu, makes it harder

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

You should not be getting off the bike imo that is terrible advise. stay on the bike with your hands in front of you until the officer interacts with you.

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    You should not be getting off the bike imo that is terrible advise. stay on the bike with your hands in front of you until the officer interacts with you.

Why?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    I prefer to stay on the bike (mainly laziness) with visor open (mainly heat when closed and standing still). I then wait for him to speak to me. I doubt getting off will make much difference as long as your body language do not show aggregation.

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    I prefer to stay on the bike (mainly laziness) with visor open (mainly heat when closed and standing still). I then wait for him to speak to me. I doubt getting off will make much difference as long as your body language do not show aggregation.

I must say I would feel safer staying on the bike, it might not always be a "real" cop.

Anyway, let us not make it a way bigger issue than it is. They stop you. You stop and wait. Be friendly, remembering we want them to do their jobs and he is now doing his. Listen to what he wants and provide that. It really is no biggie.
    Last edited by AMZ; 15-12-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by TopSecret View Post
    I must say I would feel safer staying on the bike, it might not always be a "real" cop
    Makes sense, but once stopped and out of gear, engine off, you are stuffed anyway if not a real cop.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by TopSecret View Post
    Why?
    would you get out of your car? it is about being submissive so that you aren't a threat.

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Ahhh ok

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Hazard Lights on. Off carriageway and Stop safely. Have licence ready in hand. Show where disc is situated and comment on the weather...

To be fair: Most are metros really good. Larger road blocks have SAPS who act slightly differently on the roads. JMPD are the ones who can be 'difficult' (which means they are hungry or thirsty or getting married and need funds... But that's just the odd one or 2 thousand.

Kzn Traffic are great on the N3.
    WC Traffic are also good and know their legislation and are fair. Focus on road safety and driver wellness at road blocks.
    MP are speed focused.

But is on 4 or more wheels, overloading is their pet hate. Do it or load dangerously and they will fine you.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Biker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    Hazard Lights on. Off carriageway and Stop safely. Have licence ready in hand. Show where disc is situated and comment on the weather...

To be fair: Most are metros really good. Larger road blocks have SAPS who act slightly differently on the roads. JMPD are the ones who can be 'difficult' (which means they are hungry or thirsty or getting married and need funds... But that's just the odd one or 2 thousand.

Kzn Traffic are great on the N3.
    WC Traffic are also good and know their legislation and are fair. Focus on road safety and driver wellness at road blocks.
    MP are speed focused.

But is on 4 or more wheels, overloading is their pet hate. Do it or load dangerously and they will fine you.

Would be interesting to have a full comparison between the cops from different provinces

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

We were stopped at a roadblock on the RooiEls road, so we stopped to chat. This traffic officer asked me if he could sit on my bike. Picture taken by GoPro on my helmet that was on the ground, so completely candid.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice piccie.

Yeah Carbon. I have always found them pretty friendly and without nonsense if you treat them with respect.

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

yeah the cops re pretty friendly and enjoy seeing guys on bikes, jst make sure you have your number plate (any size) and ensure you have your learners or license...i still have my learners and every time i get stopped and told that i shouldn't have a pillion with a learners i just go "eish i forgot about that one" but as long as you are friendly you can go on with a friendly warning mind you sometimes these oaks never forget you and he will remind you that last time he stopped you, you said the same thing.....darn life of a commuter
    Usual conversations though: "aren't you afraid of this? how whats the fastest you have gone? can you rev it for me? how much is the bike? and depending on which highway you're on they will ask how quick does it get to durban/limpopo or mampumalnga? "
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Funniest is when they sagely look at your license and then stare intently at your full face lid to confirm said license does belong to the rider. I had SAPS once ask me to remove lid at late night roadblock. They were very jittery. I had balaclava on under lid, they decided not to ask me to remove it and waved me on my way.