Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lane Splitting : /

  1. #1
    N00b Miracle_Salad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    19

    Smile Lane Splitting : /

    Hey Folks,

    I know that lane splitting is a controversial topic, but there is probably 3 points I'd like to stress on.

    I commute daily to work from Tableview side on the R27 to Century City, and often see near collisions that can be easily avoided with a bit of a mind change and maybe some awareness?

    1. If you can't fit don't split, I have seen soo many bikers trying to get in-between cars revving the daylights out of their bikes in order for cars to move . They don't HAVE to move at all, just be patient and split when you can.

    2. DON'T TAIL ANOTHER BIKE WHO IS SPLITTING - This happens more than i'd like, its happened to me often and it is SO irritating, if I brake suddenly or slow down without you realizing you have now endangered my, your and everyone else's life around you, it's not like I can swerve or move anywhere else but forward.. Just back off and keep some distance, you will still get to your toilet at home faster than the cars would, simple.

    3. Try not break the speed limit while splitting, not only is it illegal(To go over the speed limit), but if you crash and your insurance asks for the ECU reading on what speeds you were travelling, whether you braked, whether you hooted etc and they find you in breach of contract, you don't get paid out... I dont know about you, but some bikes are expensive and in my case are covered for that reason. Which brings me back to point 2.

    I dunno, use them or don't use them, just try not spoil the biking community with stupid riding.

  2. #2
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,818

    Default

    Yeah. Point well made. It is all about your safety and why compromise that to gain a few minutes on your commute?

    Not sure I agree on the insurance thing. Comprehensive insurance should cover you against you own stupidity as well, but always a good idea to check out the clauses of your insurance contract.

  3. #3
    N00b Miracle_Salad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Yeah. Point well made. It is all about your safety and why compromise that to gain a few minutes on your commute?

    Not sure I agree on the insurance thing. Comprehensive insurance should cover you against you own stupidity as well, but always a good idea to check out the clauses of your insurance contract.

    I must be honest, the ECU reading bit was mentioned in conversation that some companies can request it. I dont know if its true, but why take the chance right?

  4. #4
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Salad View Post
    I must be honest, the ECU reading bit was mentioned in conversation that some companies can request it. I dont know if its true, but why take the chance right?
    You shouldn't take a chance, for sure, but I would also suggest we all make sure that we and the insurance have a similar understanding of what the definition of "comprehensive insurance" is. I would hate to skip a stop, or rear end someone and then find I am not covered and even worse, neither is the other party because I did something stupid.

  5. #5
    Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Bike
    Harley Sportster XL1200C
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Good reading. Also something that I do (and I have noticed that not many riders practice this) is when I move from the on-ramp to the BL - I actually ride in the lane for a few seconds to make sure that if there was a biker in my blindspot, then I have given him/her a chance to move on. Yes, I could turn my head and check my blindspot, but that would mean me taken my complete attention off the car in from of me. I also scan the lanes while taking the on-ramp to try and get the positions of bikes already on the freeway

  6. #6
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    Good reading. Also something that I do (and I have noticed that not many riders practice this) is when I move from the on-ramp to the BL - I actually ride in the lane for a few seconds to make sure that if there was a biker in my blindspot, then I have given him/her a chance to move on. Yes, I could turn my head and check my blindspot, but that would mean me taken my complete attention off the car in from of me. I also scan the lanes while taking the on-ramp to try and get the positions of bikes already on the freeway

  7. #7
    Biker Trash Skully-SXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maroelana, Pretoria
    Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Salad View Post
    I must be honest, the ECU reading bit was mentioned in conversation that some companies can request it. I dont know if its true, but why take the chance right?
    After my accident in April, Santam requested the bike be "electronically tested" (read as having diagnostics done) to see what speed I was doing. Speedo read 54kmh, in 1st gear and under 4000rpm and then nothing as the dash was destroyed in the accident. Lucky for me, all the witnesses to the accident say I was doing under 60kmh as it was getting to be peak hour traffic.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

  8. #8
    N00b Miracle_Salad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    After my accident in April, Santam requested the bike be "electronically tested" (read as having diagnostics done) to see what speed I was doing. Speedo read 54kmh, in 1st gear and under 4000rpm and then nothing as the dash was destroyed in the accident. Lucky for me, all the witnesses to the accident say I was doing under 60kmh as it was getting to be peak hour traffic.
    Ahhh I thought so, just like cars, I heard Audi and BMW's are hot targets for insurance companies and request this sort of stuff all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the newer bikes with this kind of tech are now being asked by insurance companies also.

  9. #9
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,818

    Default

    They can ask for it and will surely do, especially if they are suing the other party's insurance, or the other party is suing them. It could possibly be usable evidence.

    To use it as a possible reason to disallow your claim? That would be a very interesting debate and visit with the insurance ombudsman. Again, if you are not also insured against damaged you caused yourself, change your insurance immediately. Obviously there will be exclusion, like drunken driving, no license, etc. In general, a decent insurance will cover you against damage you caused, even if while doing something stupid.

  10. #10
    N00b Miracle_Salad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    They can ask for it and will surely do, especially if they are suing the other party's insurance, or the other party is suing them. It could possibly be usable evidence.

    To use it as a possible reason to disallow your claim? That would be a very interesting debate and visit with the insurance ombudsman. Again, if you are not also insured against damaged you caused yourself, change your insurance immediately. Obviously there will be exclusion, like drunken driving, no license, etc. In general, a decent insurance will cover you against damage you caused, even if while doing something stupid.
    It seems weird that they would pay out if you were breaking the speed limit.. is that not negligence?

  11. #11
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Salad View Post
    It seems weird that they would pay out if you were breaking the speed limit.. is that not negligence?
    I don't see it as weird. Like I said, check your policy document. What is excluded and what is included. Remember, comprehensive insurance means just that. Your finance from the bank is dependent on the vehicle being comprehensively insured. Think about it, if they refuse to pay because you were negligent, that vehicle is nowhere near comprehensively insured. Comprehensive insurance also cover your stupidity. (To a point, of course).

    If they, as you say, will not pay out because you exceeded the speed limit (negligence), it is safe to assume that you have no more than 50% cover because all possible negligent, or stupid acts by you, is excluded. Trust me on this, very few, if any policy would exclude to that level. If they did, comprehensive insurance would be useless.

  12. #12
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    Also something that I do (and I have noticed that not many riders practice this) is when I move from the on-ramp to the BL - I actually ride in the lane for a few seconds to make sure that if there was a biker in my blindspot
    +1, I do stay in the lane until i am able to also check my mirror for any other bikes already in the BL that might be approaching and wait for them to pass before I merge in.

    I often see bikes just moving into the lane without a second thought like they are the only bikes on the road. For this reason I normally slow down when I see another bike start moving across lanes towards the BL.
    Ricers are bikers too!

  13. #13
    Biker

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Bike
    Suzuki GW 250
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    68

    Default

    No. 2 is soooooo applicable for me! It is rather intimidating when someone is doing that and I feel like I have to give way otherwise they'll rear end me! Sigh.

    But what can we do about it?

  14. #14
    Biker Trash
    Riaanhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boksburg
    Bike
    NC700x;TSR250;African Twin
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Phoenix View Post
    No. 2 is soooooo applicable for me! It is rather intimidating when someone is doing that and I feel like I have to give way otherwise they'll rear end me! Sigh.

    But what can we do about it?
    There is not much you can do in terms of changing someones mind in this regard.It is difficult changing someones behavior.

    Stay at the speed you are comfortable and don't let anyone intimidate you. Then when you get a gap let them pass so they can be on there way.
    The last thing you want to do is ride outside your comfort zone when lane splitting. Just don't holdup the biker lane indefinitely without giving any one a chance to pass as well.If they are really in a hurry they will find a way around you.

    Ride with the mindset of a bubble around you. You do not want anyone to come into that bubble. Most of the time you have some ability to control your environment around you.Your number one weapon on a bike is your maneuverability.You can speed up - slow down or change direction very rapidly to get out of uncomfortable situations quite easily. I also ride in such a way that I try to at-least have one or 2 escape routes if you will, if something goes wrong.

    On the bright side if you let them past they will likely open up the lane and ,make your trip easier and cars more aware that bikes are passing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •