Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting accident

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Lane splitting accident

Please read and give your thoughts on if I did something wrong.
    I lane split to the front of the queue in order to turn right when the robot filter went active. I made sure to pull as in front of the first car as I could.
    Before the robot changed, the driver decided to move forward, hitting my right foot peg and almost trapping my foot between her tire and my bike. There is extensive damage to the foot peg now.
    The driver apparently didn't see me even though I was right in front of her.
    What could I have done differently in this case? I thought I gave myself enough space for the car, but as she went forward, she went directly into my foot peg so maybe I could have been further forward.
    Please give any thoughts you have on this as I'd like to aviod it in future

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Honda Silverwing 600FSC
    Region
    Gauteng

Everybody will have their own procedure for this case. I can only tell you how I feel about turning right... or left from a queue of cars. I don't feel it safe to turn directly in front of any vehicle and don't expect them to make way for me either. I usually find a gap in between the cars; either as they come to a halt or as they move off, and turn from inside the lane of cars. Of course this doesn't always work either! I have been gently bumped from behind by a cager squeezing into the queue behind me!
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!"

Biker
    Bike
    Harley Sportster XL1200C
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by HalfLifeZA View Post
    Please read and give your thoughts on if I did something wrong.
    I lane split to the front of the queue in order to turn right when the robot filter went active. I made sure to pull as in front of the first car as I could.
    Before the robot changed, the driver decided to move forward, hitting my right foot peg and almost trapping my foot between her tire and my bike. There is extensive damage to the foot peg now.
    The driver apparently didn't see me even though I was right in front of her.
    What could I have done differently in this case? I thought I gave myself enough space for the car, but as she went forward, she went directly into my foot peg so maybe I could have been further forward.
    Please give any thoughts you have on this as I'd like to aviod it in future
    Seems like you did everything the way I would, the only difference is that I try to make eye-contact or at least look at the driver to make that he/she actually noticed that i was next to or in front of them. 90% of the time people start looking at their whatsapps or emails or FB status when they are at a robot, they don't pay attention and the moment they notice traffic is starting to move out of the corner of their eye, its panic stations.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

You didn't do anything wrong.

Were you on her left, or right?

Personally, I prefer to split to a position slightly behind the car (sort of in line with front door) right at the front when there is a turn coming. Once the light changes I watch what that car is doing before I go.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I try make myself known when I get to the front. I rev a bit ( and my bike isn't quiet) and I move around so they notice me.
    I just don't understand how cagers can drive off without at least looking in front of them!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    You didn't do anything wrong.

Personally, I prefer to split to a position slightly behind the car (sort of in line with front door) right at the front when there is a turn coming. Once the light changes I watch what that car is doing before I go.
    I was on her left so I could turn around the car during the filter. I'll try position myself your way and see if that helps

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    Seems like you did everything the way I would, the only difference is that I try to make eye-contact or at least look at the driver to make that he/she actually noticed that i was next to or in front of them. 90% of the time people start looking at their whatsapps or emails or FB status when they are at a robot, they don't pay attention and the moment they notice traffic is starting to move out of the corner of their eye, its panic stations.

I strongly agree with this reply, too many drivers are on their phones the whole time, the whole revving at robots also helps, though not too much, i rather come of as flashing/flaunting then not be noticed at all.
    You did nothing wrong but the advices already given are worth taking note
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

He mentioned his right foot peg got damaged so more than likely on her left. Not a great place to be if you're going to turn right to be honest.

Personally I'd rather wait than take a chance on the left of vehicles. Drivers are oblivious enough as it is.

Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    He mentioned his right foot peg got damaged so more than likely on her left. Not a great place to be if you're going to turn right to be honest.

Personally I'd rather wait than take a chance on the left of vehicles. Drivers are oblivious enough as it is.
    Dynamite there could only be many possible reasons for such an accident, first obviously would be outright distraction either phone, make-up, something in the backseat or thinking.
    Another thing i noticed while parking the car in the garage next to the bike is that there is a panel between the window and windscreen, if plausible it would have been a case that Halflife might have been in the range and if the panel is large enough could've been in somewhat a blind spot within the vehicle and therefore not be seen

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

Did you have your indicator turned on?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by HalfLifeZA View Post
    I was on her left so I could turn around the car during the filter. I'll try position myself your way and see if that helps
    Try it. It works for me, but is not fail safe. I just feel that I can then not be hit by a car pulling away before green, or even one taking off like a bat out of hell. If the car takes of slow, I can speed up a tad and go in front. If it takes of like a rocket, I just fall in behind.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Try it. It works for me, but is not fail safe. I just feel that I can then not be hit by a car pulling away before green, or even one taking off like a bat out of hell. If the car takes of slow, I can speed up a tad and go in front. If it takes of like a rocket, I just fall in behind.
    What AMZ said.

If you're going to be turning right at the lights and have filtered up through the traffic, then there are several reasons you don't want to be on the left of the car that's also turning right.

By positioning on the driver's left side, they'll often dismiss you as a factor. Their assumption will be that you are continuing straight on.

Related to it is the fact that they are likely to be focused on turning to the right, and will be ignoring anything that's not where they're going. Assuming they're focused on anything other than a cell phone or mobile device.

Far too many drivers are spending more focus on their phones than on driving. Sitting at a traffic light is becoming a new danger time. Drivers will use the "But I'm just standing still" time to check their messages etc. This means that any developments while their heads are down and the car is idling (like a rider lane splitting legally and safely) are completely invisible to them. The risk is that once the lights change, they whip their heads up and hit the gas quickly before they're fully apprised of the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if this was pretty close to what happened to you, and she either didn't realize that you were there or didn't realize how close she was to your bike when she lurched forward.

They cannot see your indicator in this position - it's usually lower than the height of their windows, plus they're focused on going right - the I'm in front attitude of modern society we all love so much. It means they have even less information to go by regarding your intentions.

I wouldn't say you did something wrong in the legal sense, but I would suggest that your choice of position wasn't best practice. The fault however is still hers for hitting your vehicle and not driving with due care and attention. For future reference you have a couple of options. When lane splitting always look at the type of vehicle and driver. Use stereotypes (not the offensive ones) to guess at what the type of vehicle and driver is likely to do. If you think the driver's likely to be reckless or aggressive then definitely follow AMZ's position advice. But this isn't necessarily a predictor for the timid-looking driver who isn't paying attention as in your case.

If you cannot place yourself smack in front of them where you can't be missed by anyone not legally blind - if you cannot get moving away from danger asap when the lights change - if you have any reservations whatsoever, regardless of your experience level - then take the more cautious route AMZ outlined.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinD View Post
    Did you have your indicator turned on?
    yes, indicator on. I try be as visible as possible

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    What AMZ said.

If you're going to be turning right at the lights and have filtered up through the traffic, then there are several reasons you don't want to be on the left of the car that's also turning right.

By positioning on the driver's left side, they'll often dismiss you as a factor. Their assumption will be that you are continuing straight on.

Related to it is the fact that they are likely to be focused on turning to the right, and will be ignoring anything that's not where they're going. Assuming they're focused on anything other than a cell phone or mobile device.

Far too many drivers are spending more focus on their phones than on driving. Sitting at a traffic light is becoming a new danger time. Drivers will use the "But I'm just standing still" time to check their messages etc. This means that any developments while their heads are down and the car is idling (like a rider lane splitting legally and safely) are completely invisible to them. The risk is that once the lights change, they whip their heads up and hit the gas quickly before they're fully apprised of the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if this was pretty close to what happened to you, and she either didn't realize that you were there or didn't realize how close she was to your bike when she lurched forward.

They cannot see your indicator in this position - it's usually lower than the height of their windows, plus they're focused on going right - the I'm in front attitude of modern society we all love so much. It means they have even less information to go by regarding your intentions.

I wouldn't say you did something wrong in the legal sense, but I would suggest that your choice of position wasn't best practice. The fault however is still hers for hitting your vehicle and not driving with due care and attention. For future reference you have a couple of options. When lane splitting always look at the type of vehicle and driver. Use stereotypes (not the offensive ones) to guess at what the type of vehicle and driver is likely to do. If you think the driver's likely to be reckless or aggressive then definitely follow AMZ's position advice. But this isn't necessarily a predictor for the timid-looking driver who isn't paying attention as in your case.

If you cannot place yourself smack in front of them where you can't be missed by anyone not legally blind - if you cannot get moving away from danger asap when the lights change - if you have any reservations whatsoever, regardless of your experience level - then take the more cautious route AMZ outlined.

Thanks, this is great advice.
    I keep learning and trying to get better

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Suzuki GW 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Glad you're okay even though the foot peg is damaged. Be safe!

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

The above is the best advice you will have for turning right.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Now lets talk about lanesplit position when you're at a set of lights

If going to turn right, left or going straight?
    please answer by colour, eg if turning right, blue....going straight,black etc

The reason I ask is because all too often i see ppl standing in the wrong position when getting to the front of traffic.

Capture.PNG

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post

The reason I ask is because all too often i see ppl standing in the wrong position when getting to the front of traffic.

Capture.PNG

I was turning right and was probably in about the red position. More a combo of red and blue as I try pull as in front of the car as I can

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Dynamite there could only be many possible reasons for such an accident, first obviously would be outright distraction either phone, make-up, something in the backseat or thinking.
    Another thing i noticed while parking the car in the garage next to the bike is that there is a panel between the window and windscreen, if plausible it would have been a case that Halflife might have been in the range and if the panel is large enough could've been in somewhat a blind spot within the vehicle and therefore not be seen
    to clarify please see below image:
    Capture2.jpg

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I prefer red for all three possibilities.

Straight: Makes sense.
    Left: I don't want to get trapped between a vehicle and the curb.
    Right: I don't want to get trapped between the vehicle and the curb and possibly other traffic.

I do not pull in front of a car once I have lane split to the front. They may see it as pushing in and get all aggro, but also, that car now behind me is outside my control. As such, if he makes any forward move, I have a problem I have no control over. Also, when I split I make an effort not to impede on the path of any other road user.

Disclaimer: I don't believe hat I am 100% right or that there is only one way to do these things. I am explaining what works for me.