Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Newby Gear Acquired

  1. #1
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default Newby Gear Acquired

    Hello again. After my intro post, i thought i would post the progress of my journey into the world of riding.
    I have just acquired my first jacket:

    <a href="https://ibb.co/hoXfrv"><img src="https://preview.ibb.co/ihXPJa/Screenshot_20170907_205400.png" alt="Screenshot_20170907_205400" border="0"></a>

    and am on the verge of acquiring my first pair of boots:

    <a href="https://ibb.co/hUHzJa"><img src="https://preview.ibb.co/nsdjjF/Screenshot_20170910_175711.png" alt="Screenshot_20170910_175711" border="0"></a>

    I trust i am on the right track but will appreciate any advice.

    Now just shopping for a lid and pants...

  2. #2
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Sorry. Noob mistake -
    Used wrong code for image posting:


  3. #3
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I do apologise for the large images.
    How does one resize images for the forum and edit ones own posts via mobile?

  4. #4
    Lightship Captain WBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa
    Posts
    7,136

    Default

    XKulcha make some decent pants that you can get through the day on. Local company with passion and some decent designs and features too.

    A breathable jacket is a must
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

  5. #5
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    XKulcha make some decent pants that you can get through the day on. Local company with passion and some decent designs and features too.
    A breathable jacket is a must
    Thanks BRO. I am considering the xkulcha pants. This jacket does have air "intake" zippers running halfway down both arms and a large air "exhaust" zipper across the shoulder blades. Will have to see if it works as good as it sounds. However, summer in Durbs...eish!

  6. #6
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati View Post
    Thanks BRO. I am considering the xkulcha pants. This jacket does have air "intake" zippers running halfway down both arms and a large air "exhaust" zipper across the shoulder blades. Will have to see if it works as good as it sounds. However, summer in Durbs...eish!
    The jackets with air vents are nice, but Durbs in summer? Eina!

    A full airflow jacket will be a better option.

  7. #7
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The jackets with air vents are nice, but Durbs in summer? Eina!

    A full airflow jacket will be a better option.
    I did pick up this jacket for a real song (genuine Durbanites don't pay full price so i have the luxury of testing it out and buying something else if not suitable. Any recommendations on an affordable FULL AIRFLOW JACKET?

  8. #8
    Biker Trash Skully-SXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maroelana, Pretoria
    Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    693

    Default

    I have an RST Ventilator III jacket. It works beautifully in hot weather. 40+ degree heat sometimes up here and it flows tons of air to keep you cool.
    The newer ones are the Ventilator IV and V.
    They have back protector built in, shoulder armour, elbow armour, the works.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

  9. #9
    Lightship Captain WBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa
    Posts
    7,136

    Default

    I have a full airflow jacket and it is perfect in summer. Add a windproof under and it can be used in all seasons for early AM rides and then take the inner out when it warms up.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

  10. #10
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    I have an RST Ventilator III jacket. It works beautifully in hot weather. 40+ degree heat sometimes up here and it flows tons of air to keep you cool.
    The newer ones are the Ventilator IV and V.
    They have back protector built in, shoulder armour, elbow armour, the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    I have a full airflow jacket and it is perfect in summer. Add a windproof under and it can be used in all seasons for early AM rides and then take the inner out when it warms up.
    Although the Alpinestars Drystar i have does also have 2 removable inners (waterproof & thermal) that RST Ventilator looks more suitable due to the large mesh panels. Will run the one i have and decide if it needs to be replaced/relegated to winter rides.
    p.s. I got a deal on the jacket (like brand new) that i couldn't refuse, found no negative reviews and also considered that my current lifestyle/schedule will only allow me Sunday morning (sunrise) rides so the Full/Non Full Airflow may not be a deal-breaker for me at this point.

    The boots i am getting is from a family member who had an (write) off wearing takkies while his brand spanking new Gaerne GP1's were parked off. He is being very kind to let me have it for the same money as i would spend buying something very basic. ;)

    Next up is a (Sharp Rated) lid and pants.

    Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    N00b Ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Bike
    Ducati 748
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hello all.
    Can i ask for some suggestions on a good lid?

    Budget:
    R2k-R3k.
    Requirements:
    Sharp Rated
    Sun Visor
    Considering:
    Shark S700

    Anything else i should consider?
    Where in Durbs should i go helmet shopping tomorrow afternoon? (which is your favourite shop) ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •