Thread: Some school fees - Target fixation

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Some school fees - Target fixation

At the Triumph Track day, held at Redstar Raceway, I thought I could overtake a guy... but he kept it pinned longer than I thought he would...

As a result I ended up braking at the 100m mark instead of somewhere around the point where he started (or even earlier).
    Just after the 50m mark I had the bike up on the front wheel for a moment... before letting off of the brakes, bleeding off speed and going farming.

Lesson learnt... Target fixation is bad!!! And can happen even if you've been riding for a while and spent a little time at the track.
    I should have done what I normally do and just tap off and let him get through the corner before me... But for some reason I was just like "I'm going to pass...I'm going to pass".

I target fixated on the end of the straight just after passing the guy... My brain shut down...
    watching the footage afterwards I see I got to 220km/h (indicated) when I started braking...
    I got all the way down to 100km/h before the turn in cone... and only left the track at 60km/h!

I could EASILY have made that corner!

*duties

Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Sounds more like red mist than target fixation.

Glad you are okay, but then again, if you must crash, the track is the best place to do it.

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post

Glad you are okay, but then again, if you must crash, the track is the best place to do it.
    Probably started out as the red mist "gotta pass gotta pass", but definite target fixation after I passed the guy...
    Due to the fact that I was a dumbass and went way past my normal braking marker.
    I got on the brakes, my senses got overloaded and I locked onto the edge of the track mentally... didn't even THINK about the corner or trying to make it.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Whoah! That was a bit close. But kudos for keeping your cool.

One bit of advise an Instructor at Big Z told me way back when I had the 1200 Dorsoduro:

"Never try be Rainey or Schwantz or Doohan or Rossi or Marquez, your balls are not big enough to be like any of them."

That was after he was shadowing me and I did something similar to a rider in front of me.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    Whoah! That was a bit close. But kudos for keeping your cool.

One bit of advise an Instructor at Big Z told me way back when I had the 1200 Dorsoduro:

"Never try be Rainey or Schwantz or Doohan or Rossi or Marquez, your balls are not big enough to be like any of them."

That was after he was shadowing me and I did something similar to a rider in front of me.
    Ja... Normally I am more subdued... I will think I can pass but then rather let them go ahead until I can pass them as I exit the turn instead of halfway down the straight.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post

LOL, told you to play nice!

Was good meeting you, glad you had a excellent day and took it home intact!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    LOL, told you to play nice!

Was good meeting you, glad you had a excellent day and took it home intact!
    Lol... I did, mostly :-P
    In other news... my brake marker has moved on that straight now. lol
    It was a good day indeed!