Thread: Test in a sports bike or hire a 250cc?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Test in a sports bike or hire a 250cc?

Hi fellow 'two wheelers".

I have been riding for just about 14 or 15 months now, still on my first bike (K7 GSXR750).
    I have been riding on borrowed time though (learners licence) and it is time to make things a bit more permanent.

I reside in Alberton. Two questions:
    1. Which testing center do I go to?
    2. Do I get get test in my 750cc gixxer or hire a 250cc?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

1. Any testing station in your area where you can easily get an appointment. I have heard Kempton Park is better than most, but I have no personal experience.
    2. I would use the bike I am used to.

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

I would also recommend that you go for a K53 Training session with a reputable organisation. On the bike you are going to use for the test.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    I would also recommend that you go for a K53 Training session with a reputable organisation. On the bike you are going to use for the test.
    +1

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Hi hastex,

really simple answers to #2:

It would be easier to do the test on a 250 than your bike, but I'd rather use the bike I'm familiar and comfortable with.
    Your bike is perfectly capable of getting you through the test, as long as you have the skills for slow control in particular.
    If you rent a 250, then ride the bike several times in a variety of situations in order to get completely comfortable with the feel of it.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

I did K53 lessons before I got my bike 14 months ago. I figure i need to go back for one or two lessons to realign with K53 conduct.
    Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

Alrode testing centre is just down the road from me.
    I failed my initial test there last year. It was the emergancy stop, the red light that triggers when I ought to slam the brakes never came on and the officer felt I was fooling around and failed me.

So sad.
    Thanks or the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    1. Any testing station in your area where you can easily get an appointment. I have heard Kempton Park is better than most, but I have no personal experience.
    2. I would use the bike I am used to.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

I would either use a bike i am familiar with or do it with the driving schools bike that I practiced on, either way practice on the bike you are going to do the test on. go for 3 lessons at least and you should be ok.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Good driving school recommendations? I also want to go do my test on the bike I ride every day (otherwise you just fooling yourself IMO)
    Preferably this side of town (Midrand)

ps: I'm more than ok with paying any person that can help me and know what I should be able to do for the test.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

There is a driving school near me that allows learners to drive around their 'yard test' area for a small fee.
    I will take my bike there and simulate the K53 test and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    I would either use a bike i am familiar with or do it with the driving schools bike that I practiced on, either way practice on the bike you are going to do the test on. go for 3 lessons at least and you should be ok.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by hastex View Post
    There is a driving school near me that allows learners to drive around their 'yard test' area for a small fee.
    I will take my bike there and simulate the K53 test and see how that goes.
    the small advice the guy gives you is well worth the cost of the lessons, he will point out things that will make the instructor know before you even get on the bike that you went for lessons, bonus if they attend on the day of the test.