Thread: Flashing lights ..........is it better visibility?

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Flashing lights ..........is it better visibility?

Instead of us using color lenses on our headlights for better visibility to other road users, what do you think of a strobe/flashing amber light at the front of the bike that can be switched on in traffic. Sitting in a vehicle i have noticed bikers using their hazards, are not so effective. Lights on bright or fogs do work well.

How about a flashing red light at the rear when needed as seen on some overseas bikes, not sure if this would be necessary, but i see it is used in bad weather and again in traffic.

Which would be most effective the front or the rear.

Or having it connected to the brake light might work but could also be a distraction to other motorists................

Also your bike could end up looking like a mobile Christmas tree.

Bike
    2011 BMW G650GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I imagine there might be legal ramifications with strobe lights, but they would be very effective..

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Whenever i drive or am in a vehicle and notice bikes, its usually because they have brights on, though this by itself is very distracting to the eye and at times you cannot even see how far back or where in the lanesplit the bike is until they are a meter from your mirror (this is for during the day)
    At night you can't even tell the difference between a bike and car because everything has their headlights on, best solution is the colour lenses as now one can differentiate between car and bike and where exactly it is so you can give way, strobing lights will create confusion as this is a gesture from drivers that you may come into the lane or you may pass, a quick flashing of lights is a warning that the car is coming. Anyway to simplify this you must also know how cars communicate to understand how that can be transferred onto the bike, stick to different coloured front lens and you will be safe( as possibly can), quick flashes are warnings and strobes are usually friendly gestures...
    The rear flashing brake is a good idea but i believe mostly its used when engine breaking where brakes are not engaged and a modular flashes the break lights to notify those behind that you are slowing down though not engaging the break lever/pedal BMW tech mostly
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

I hate seeing them when I'm in a car. Looks like an emergency vehicle approaching and you end up thinking of not so nice things to call said biker when you eventually realise it's just a bike.

But they do make you visible, annoying for others as they are.

Bike
    06 black 1200S Bandit and 98 red 1200S Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng

As far as I am aware strobe lights, front or back are illegal
    Maturity is a grossly overrated achievement

I am who I am. Your approval is not required nor desired. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I hate seeing them when I'm in a car. Looks like an emergency vehicle approaching and you end up thinking of not so nice things to call said biker when you eventually realise it's just a bike.

But they do make you visible, annoying for others as they are.
    That annoyance is what allows a safer passage lanesplit but i believe, colours mostly used are red, blue and orange and are actually effective, and as you commute daily certain vehicles begin noticing you more and i don't believe they mind the false emergency situation you are referring to, i just dont know how red is effective during night riding as its quite dull but the blue gives off a good light, also installing Xenon on the main headlight gives the same affect

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

It would be illegal.

The most effective way to be seen is still you riding in such a way that you give other road users a opportunity to see you.

BTW, do you commute on Olifantsfontein? Morning going East.

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post
    That annoyance is what allows a safer passage lanesplit but i believe, colours mostly used are red, blue and orange and are actually effective, and as you commute daily certain vehicles begin noticing you more and i don't believe they mind the false emergency situation you are referring to, i just dont know how red is effective during night riding as its quite dull but the blue gives off a good light, also installing Xenon on the main headlight gives the same affect
    I'm one of those that mind the false emergency situation. It's also distracting (it's purpose) and may very well cause an accident with another vehicle that stopped in front of you.

So my opinion: I don't like them one bit. Don't like accidents (motorcycle, car, truck...) either.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

I bought these:
    http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-acces...d-stripes.html

And fitted them to my Tuono and hooked them up to the headlights. Headlights come on as soon as the motor runs as do the DRL thingies.

This was before I wired them up, was just testing them at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_v3_1d2ID4
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

must be great when riding in areas with no lights
    anyway how do other motorists react to the bright light?

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post
    must be great when riding in areas with no lights
    anyway how do other motorists react to the bright light?
    As you can see in the left view pic, they shine downwards onto the road. I did that on purpose by mounting them on the radiator shrouds on each side. Straight on they are VERY bright so I decided to mount them there to angle them towards the road.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

will definitely copy this idea

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

Its absolutely correct to ride in a way so that other road users can see you, i think that's where most of the problems can be eliminated.
    I don't commute yet with the bike but have also experienced these issues in broad daylight. I guess you are all correct about strobe lights, illegal or not, it would be a distraction. Skully, i wonder if those lights would be really effective during the day but sure looks great for the evening. I do have daytime running lights - you can hardly see them during the day.

Agreed the bright lights are the way to go, even if you get scolded by other drivers sometimes.