Thread: Potato farmers and such

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Potato farmers and such

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelle View Post
    Where are all the people who say......"have bike, will ride...????"
    Some of us refuse to believe anything coming out of the mouth of a potato farmer who is openly homophobic, believes women are not equal to men and makes people prance around naked in the rain....
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Brighty Lighty

Bike
    BMW 1200 GSA, KTM450, PGO 125, Can Am Spyder RT
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    Some of us refuse to believe anything coming out of the mouth of a potato farmer who is openly homophobic, believes women are not equal to men and makes people prance around naked in the rain....
    Cool....then stay behind if that's what's you want to do ��

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

Cropdusters with Doom....

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Some of us refuse to believe anything coming out of the mouth of a potato farmer who is openly homophobic, believes women are not equal to men...
    Sadly, I have to agree with this.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The normal tradition on Think Bike has always been that someone arranges a ride and post an invitation here for people to join. You either join, or you do not. It is your choice. It is not tradition to turn it into a political/religious/sexist/etc. discussion.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The normal tradition on Think Bike has always been that someone arranges a ride and post an invitation here for people to join. You either join, or you do not. It is your choice. It is not tradition to turn it into a political/religious/sexist/etc. discussion.
    When did that change??
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    When did that change??
    Not sure. It is sort of how I always experienced it.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Not sure. It is sort of how I always experienced it.
    That's definitely new. You can't turn your back...

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

The meeting is NOT about Angus Bunchan...
    I should hope so.

if you want to join then put your name down, if you don't, then don't put your name down....
    I didn't.

I will start another thread with questions.

Brighty Lighty

Bike
    BMW 1200 GSA, KTM450, PGO 125, Can Am Spyder RT
    Region
    Gauteng

I should hope so.

I didn't.

You will,slow us down with your Triumph

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

You will,slow us down with your Triumph

Biting my tongue...

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250 Twister
    Region
    Western Cape

Ja nee.....
    Political? That's one thing.
    Religious? That's another.
    You're free to do what you like, whether I agree with you or not.
    But sexist? Racist? Homophobic? In my opinion they don't warrant the same "live and let live" ethos.
    I'm female. I find Angus Buchan offensive. I'm not super thrilled to see posts supporting anything to do with the man.
    I didn't say anything at first, but I can't say I'm unhappy that Skully passed a comment.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm a man, and I think he's contemptible.

That being said, my philosophy in these matters dictates that I get to sleep in on Sundays.

If I may be so bold as to make an assumption as to Skully's beliefs... I think he very neatly and quite diplomatically stated his opinion (and elucidated his own philosophy if I read him right) and sidestepped the thin ice without giving anyone reason to feel personally insulted.

It helps to remember that not everyone is a christian, or even religious for that matter. I am personally rather hostile to organised religion in all its forms. Bit of an understatement really.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, while I understand and appreciate why most forums have a blanket ban on religious and political discussion, the reality is that as an atheist, I am bombarded with subtle forms of proselytisation all the time. How often do we not see "God was looking out for me that day" or stuff like that. As if God is on vacation the rest of the time when people die on the roads. Or that praying for a biker down will somehow enhance the scientific medical treatment he or she is receiving.

The fact of the matter is that there is a disjoint between how believers are allowed to express themselves vs how nonbelievers can. For example, if person X says "God did this or that" and person Y says "God did nothing at all here", then person Y is guilty of causing offense but not person X. The atheists among us will know exactly what I mean. Sadly, while the argument that banning religious topics on grounds that it caused discord has some merit, the fact that it causes discord is precisely because of the above disjoint. Atheists' right to freedom of expression takes a back seat to believers' sense of entitlement to not have their beliefs questioned. It's a subtly tyranny of the majority.

At the end of the day you just sort of shake your head when you read silly things and bit your tongue. As for Angus Buchan, he's low hanging fruit, a bit like Trump really, a sanctimonious, chauvinistic, risible charlatan who is making millions by taking advantage of anachronistic prejudices and biases, like every other evangelist before him.

Skully did very well by being pithy.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

That's definitely new. You can't turn your back...
    Turn my back on what? A ride that a member is arranging?

I didn't.

The correct way to go, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRooster View Post
    It helps to remember that not everyone is a christian, or even religious for that matter.
    My point exactly. So, someone arrange to join the annual Bible Run (as an example), you join, or you don't. I prefer that we, if we disagree with whatever the run supports, we just stay out of it.

One of the things that stand out for me on the TB Forum is that we have always avoided getting into political, religious, etc. debates and arguments. I prefer it that way.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

The dice are loaded in such a way that you have to play the man and not the ball. In other words, instead of a general critique of religion, Angus Buchan gets a bollocking. That's precisely what Skully did. I am of the opinion that he is entitled to, in the same way that we can take the **** out of okes that don't wear their kit.

Sure, Mr. Potato Head isn't here to defend himself, but I'm in no mood to ride to bloemies to cause ***

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The dice are loaded in such a way that you have to play the man and not the ball. In other words, instead of a general critique of religion, Angus Buchan gets a bollocking. That's precisely what Skully did. I am of the opinion that he is entitled to, in the same way that we can take the **** out of okes that don't wear their kit.

Sure, Mr. Potato Head isn't here to defend himself, but I'm in no mood to ride to bloemies to cause ***
    Still missing my point. Bollock Angus or anyone else as much as you like, but don't f*** up an invite to join a ride to do so.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

I don't see it that way. Those who want to go will go regardless of what gets said here.

Bike
    2011 BMW G650GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I don't think Skully turned it into a religious thing. Trevelle laid down a (good natured) challenge to those who say "have bike will ride", Skully gave his reason for not going without a single religious reference . It should have been left at that.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Turn my back on what? A ride that a member is arranging?

We can make this all about you if you want, but I was referring to my being away from the forum moaning for a while.

One of the things that stand out for me on the TB Forum is that we have always avoided getting into political, religious, etc. debates and arguments. I prefer it that way.
    That must also have changed while I had my back turned.

Still missing my point. Bollock Angus or anyone else as much as you like, but don't f*** up an invite to join a ride to do so.
    And I do agree with that. I couldn't let Skully's comment go unsupported, but it wasn't the best place.

I don't see it that way. Those who want to go will go regardless of what gets said here.
    I don't think AMZ is concerned that negative comments about ole Angus will make less people go. The point is that it was the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I don't think Skully turned it into a religious thing. Trevelle laid down a (good natured) challenge to those who say "have bike will ride", Skully gave his reason for not going without a single religious reference . It should have been left at that.
    Or, maybe it was the wrong place to comment on Angus Buchan.

Not that I don't have a lot to say about his bigotry, sexism, racism and the fact that he seems to be close enough to being God that he can make pronouncements on others' sexuality and how that will affect their chances of one day sitting next to him on his throne on the stoep of the big potato farm in the sky...

However... This is not the place. I know Trevelle and although he doesn't see well enough to ride with his bike's lights on dim, he is in essence a really good guy. And hijacking his thread is not really the thing to do.

PING @admin

I recently lost my super admin powers, so can another admin please create a new thread to debate the virtues of potato farmers with god complexes and then move all of the relevant (or actually irrelevant) posts from here to there?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

I got lost at "dancing naked in the rain." When that going down? Can I come?