Thread: Track Daze, Kyalami, 18 March 2017

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Track Daze, Kyalami, 18 March 2017

So..... a buddy of mine was out on business here in SA and gave me day at Kyalami for a late b-day prezzie. I am so damn lucky
    18 March 2017, Kyalami, oh YEAH!

Last time I was there was 13 December 2014 just before they closed for the renovations.
    I am proud to say I did 2'14.128" around the "old" Kyalami on a heavy upright "slow" Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 that could not lean much due to footpegs scraping easily as can be seen in the pic. That is not a bad time, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2mg1c0Z_Xs

YEEHAAAAAA!
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

So much for knowing your limits! lucky bugger!

Enjoy and hou die blink kant bo!

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Awesome stuff man! Enjoy!
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

"I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Kyalami is EPIC!
    Track is smooth, is not harsh on tyres, has tons of grip, and the new Crowthorne, Jukskei Sweep and Barbecue sections after the looooooooooooong main straight are so damn nice.

I klapped a few solid 2'08" laps today and VERY chuffed.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Just some cellphone shots from the day:

Toe slider doing it's job:

Rear tyre after some 2'08" laps (the surface is VERY kind to tyres):

And confirmation of my 2'08.444" best lap time:

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Some pics from Beam Productions:

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

And two vids from Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_UtLtmzmBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox7ugcZj88A

To give you an idea: main straight I saw 265kmh through the kink (no tapping off at all, keep the throttle pinned WFO) and then hard on the brakes.
    Mine shaft I tapped off to about 210 to go around the left bend. My kahoonah's are not that big that I could keep it wide open through there. But I lost about 2 seconds by tapping off, so says the Instructors.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

Possibly if your bike was fully faired you'd klap it harder because the wind makes it feel demonically fast.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRooster View Post
    Possibly if your bike was fully faired you'd klap it harder because the wind makes it feel demonically fast.
    The wind protection on the Tuono is actually very good. That tiny little screen does a perfect job as does the small front fairing. The aerodynamics are pretty good on the yellow beastie.
    But 2'08" around Kyalami on a naked road bike with lights, flickers, etc and running full on road tyres (Pirelli Diablo Rosso III's) is pretty damn good.
    I was also not pushing hard. My balls decided it was not the time or place to be brave.

I am getting a spare set of wheels and getting stickier tyres for them, just for track day use.

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    The wind protection on the Tuono is actually very good. That tiny little screen does a perfect job as does the small front fairing. The aerodynamics are pretty good on the yellow beastie.
    But 2'08" around Kyalami on a naked road bike with lights, flickers, etc and running full on road tyres (Pirelli Diablo Rosso III's) is pretty damn good.
    I was also not pushing hard. My balls decided it was not the time or place to be brave.

I am getting a spare set of wheels and getting stickier tyres for them, just for track day use.
    Ja...I also said I was just gonna get a second set of wheels...lol.
    p.s. I saw an advert where a guy was selling paddock stands and a set of tyre warmers for R2000... interested?
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenpridgeon View Post
    Ja...I also said I was just gonna get a second set of wheels...lol.
    p.s. I saw an advert where a guy was selling paddock stands and a set of tyre warmers for R2000... interested?
    Hahahahahaha. Nope, going to get a dedicated track bike end of this year and go bonkers on it next year.

And a vid of the start of the first session:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ2w...ature=youtu.be