Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about riding over yellow islands?

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    Western Cape

Comment Question about riding over yellow islands?

Do you guys do it?

I got a lot of heavy vibes on Monday from a Traffic cop for riding slowly over a yellow island.
    In his angry interrogation he asked how I could think it's okay. I said I wasn't doing any harm or creating any inconvenience for anyone. He said it's not about doing any harm, it's about the rules!
    He threatened me with all kinds of stuff and really scornful, mocking and bragging about his powers etc. He seemed like a really unhappy guy. I couldn't work out why he was picking on me for doing something so harmless.

There's people drinking and driving, overloaded taxis, going through stop streets without slowing down or looking, cars and trucks making black/blue clouds of smoke that destroys all of our health... and he picks on me for doing something harmless.

If he just said "Naughty naughty, harmless, but technically against the rules, don't do it again or I'll give you a fine." I'd say fair enough. But all the heavy vibes. So unnecessary.

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

You broke the law. He kakked you out. It's his job. Listen to him.

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Yeah, I find traffic officers get bad.

However, based on the context you gave, I don't know enough to say whether he was overreacting, or whether he thought he was dealing with a stubborn rebellious biker. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, seeing as I've had a couple of bad experiences with traffic cops...

Naughty Naughty, don't do it again...

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself here: http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/forumdi...e-to-the-Forum. Pics always welcome!
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

I'm not here
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

I agree, that yes it is harmless, but the end of the day, we got to the point of people being so corrupt and doing illegal things from not obeying the law in the first place. If we as a biking community always do illegal things, riding without number plates, or small ones, or without a licence or not even a licence. then we can't complain when the law gets a bit "iffy" with us.
    Maybe he was in a bad mood and you got the brunt of it, but still he wouldn't have picked on you had you not been on a yellow island.
    If you require Safety Training pop us WhatsApp: 062 192 5492

TB's WebMaster
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 1000
    Region
    Gauteng

On top of all the rubbish that collects there increasing the chance of you getting a puncture or something worse, a painted island is surrounded by a solid white line which you shouldn't cross.

Breaking the rules because other people break rules is no justification.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Silly question: Will you do it again?

I have a feeling he was getting annoyed with you as you were maintaining the opinion it was 'nothing to worry about'.

True: it is against the road traffic regulations. It is a as slippery as a Speaker of parliament (the yellow paint). It is full of road / traffic debris.

He was trying to help you / educate you / warn you. I think you were lucky not to get a fine as he was really trying to be 'proactive' and be a visible police official and do what we so badly need on SA Road.

(No I am not having a go at you, but rather your apparent indignation on the chain of events and opinions). Ride safe and keep posting on the forum as we all learn something everyday here.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Don't ride over the lines and you'll never have to wonder why the traffic officer is moaning at you about it.

The traffic officer would have gotten annoyed with you because whether it was harmless or not, you broke the law...
    From your wording it would appear as though you didn't say "sorry I was wrong", but instead countered his reprimand with "but it's harmless".

Rule 1: you never argue with police/traffic officers... especially if you did something wrong even if it seems harmless. A simple warning can very quickly escalate into more.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

A usual first post on forums is 'Hi I am 2wheels and am new to the forum'

Looks like that was my extended devil post... 6666
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    A usual first post on forums is 'Hi I am 2wheels and am new to the forum'
    +1

Looks like that was my extended devil post... 6666
    From your friendly cager

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels View Post
    Do you guys do it?

I got a lot of heavy vibes on Monday from a Traffic cop for riding slowly over a yellow island.
    In his angry interrogation he asked how I could think it's okay. I said I wasn't doing any harm or creating any inconvenience for anyone. He said it's not about doing any harm, it's about the rules!
    He threatened me with all kinds of stuff and really scornful, mocking and bragging about his powers etc. He seemed like a really unhappy guy. I couldn't work out why he was picking on me for doing something so harmless.

There's people drinking and driving, overloaded taxis, going through stop streets without slowing down or looking, cars and trucks making black/blue clouds of smoke that destroys all of our health... and he picks on me for doing something harmless.

If he just said "Naughty naughty, harmless, but technically against the rules, don't do it again or I'll give you a fine." I'd say fair enough. But all the heavy vibes. So unnecessary.
    Let you and I and everyone else stop concerning ourselves with the road laws others break and worry more about those we break ourselves. All of those break the law because they consider it harmless. Basically, you broke the law. He addressed you about that. Accept it, be thankful he did not fine you and move on.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Dear 2wheels, I take it you are a law abiding citizen? Well actually, no you are NOT!! If you break a law and then whine and biatch about it on a public forum, especially with the old "There are other more serious out there" That may well be so, but he caught YOU breaking the law! Grow UP!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DirkM View Post
    You broke the law. He kakked you out. It's his job. Listen to him.
    Short and sweet.

And I'll be a hypocrite and state outright that I'll ride over painted islands, but only if passing a long line of stationary cars to merge up ahead. And if there's no cops

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

At least some cops still pull people over.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRooster View Post
    Short and sweet.

And I'll be a hypocrite and state outright that I'll ride over painted islands, but only if passing a long line of stationary cars to merge up ahead. And if there's no cops
    Yeah! None of us are perfect. We all poop on the law on occasion. When caught, smile and pay the fine, if any.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Yeah! None of us are perfect. We all poop on the law on occasion. When caught, smile and pay the fine, if any.
    That is what we all probably agree to.

Take the heat if you did the offence.

Never relate other more serious crimes to a silly little traffic offence as failing levels of Social Compliance is what starts all the problems we have.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Not a lot of sympathy coming out here. That's a bad vibe!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

All has been said. Break the law, take the consequence. Being smart with a cop (whether he be anal or not) ain't a smart move.
    Perhaps refresh your K53 knowledge about islands.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Not a lot of sympathy coming out here. That's a bad vibe!

Agreed. I think our new member here may have been scared off the forum. Yeah, he (or she ) did break the law, but how many guys here never skip a stop street, religiously stick to the speed limit, etc. He acted in a way he thought was harmless, and received a bit of a beating from a traffic cop for it, as well as a lot of scolding here. I think his lesson is learned...

I also agree (and a tip to 2wheels) that a person's attitude plays a big role in the outcome of a situation, ESPECIALLY with our traffic cops. Last year I received a R500 fine for holding a phone in my hand (it was a GPS not phone... ) and after said Officer of the Law handed me my ticket, I asked him for directions. I indicated that he was just doing what he thought was right, but that I need to get to a place and the stupid device is not taking me to the right place. He offered me assistance, and we parted ways. The fine is still not registered (which wasn't my intention, but I'm not complaining )...
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Kawa Z300
    Region
    Gauteng

I was coming onto the N1 from William Nicol a while back and there were cops with bikes standing on the island. Since the cars were merging, there was no place to split really, so I sat in the queue with all the rest of the cars. Till one of the cops motioned to me to come past on the island. After a minutes hesitation thinking "Is this a trap?", I decided to do it and was really grateful when he greeted and waved me past because it really was a dead standing traffic day. I can't help thinking what the cagers who saw this were thinking however...it was wrong in more ways than one. I can't say I'm proud of what happened but it did save me a few minutes on my trip that day.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Don't stop posting, learning and enjoying the forum because of all the flak you've received on this post.

Oh and, naughty naughty, harmless, but technically against the rules, don't do it again and while I can't give you a fine next time I can pass you (or probably have you pass me in this instance) and shake my head disapprovingly.

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    I was coming onto the N1 from William Nicol a while back and there were cops with bikes standing on the island. Since the cars were merging, there was no place to split really, so I sat in the queue with all the rest of the cars. Till one of the cops motioned to me to come past on the island. After a minutes hesitation thinking "Is this a trap?", I decided to do it and was really grateful when he greeted and waved me past because it really was a dead standing traffic day. I can't help thinking what the cagers who saw this were thinking however...it was wrong in more ways than one. I can't say I'm proud of what happened but it did save me a few minutes on my trip that day.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Don't stop posting, learning and enjoying the forum because of all the flak you've received on this post.

Oh and, naughty naughty, harmless, but technically against the rules, don't do it again and while I can't give you a fine next time I can pass you (or probably have you pass me in this instance) and shake my head disapprovingly.
    If what I can remember from my K53 days the orders/commands of a traffic officer supersede/override road and traffic markings so you weren't actually doing anything wrong.

Just checked the "learner manual" online:
    6.49 GENERAL DUTIES OF DRIVER/RIDERNo person driving a vehicle on a public road shall- disobey any road traffic sign or rule of the road unless so ordered to do so by atraffic officer.

So... you were following the orders of an officer... no harm no foul.
    I also "sit in the queue" if I can't split without crossing the lines.
    It can be a pain at times... but it's the right thing to do.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...