Thread: Visor anti-misting and rain repellant tips

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Visor anti-misting and rain repellant tips

So after spending almost the whole day on the bike today and enjoying the wet weather riding (yes, I am weird that way), let's all share tips for keeping visors mist free on the inside and rain free on the outside.

I used to use Holts Anti Mist on the inside of the visor but after today I think I need to try something else.
    It works, but after 3 or so hours the effect wears off.
    I applied the Holts early this morning before setting off to Midrand.

On the outside I use Rain X which does work very nicely to let water bead up and just roll off.

So what products or DIY stuffs do you all use and how well does it work?

And........ go!

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

I used to use sunlight dish soap on my glasses and inside my visor.
    Apply a bit and smear it around... let dry and buff off with a soft rag.
    Worked wonders.
    Don't knock it till you've tried it. lol.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

My new shark came with a yellowish anti-misting visor insert, I've yet to try it. I have a bottle of C-thru in the graatsh but I'm concerned about it damaging the polycarbonate of the visor. Maybe I'll try it on the side near the hinge to see if there is any crazing.

Apart from that, I have no more proper rain gear, having given it all away. I can kick myself.

Except for a pair of perfecto waterprooof riding pants, which aint waterproof no mo' after getting tumble dried and the waterproof linin disintegrated. yass I was die bliksem in but what's done is done.

You're a sick puppy for enjoying getting caught in the rain (and pina coladas)!

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

PS I can see how the dish soap would work - it is a surfactant after all and misting is tiny droplets that diffuse light. The soap will break the surface tension of the droplets allowing them to flow together. The visor will still be wet on the inside but it wont be frosted. Good tip!

Another pro tip: riding in the rain is for sickos, nutters and the demented. Don't be that guy.

Bike
    2011 BMW G650GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I just keep the visor open a crack. This morning was a bit challenging I must say, but still, just cruising past that long line of cars sitting bumper to bumper made it worth it.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

similar to the dish soap method, you can smear shaving cream on the inside of the visor, it for 2 minutes then buff it off with a soft cloth.

I really need to go get a rain suit, this driving in the car is not good for mine and others safety

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Rain X is great on the outside. Use it on helmet visors, screen on cages and truck. Works so well wipers are secondary.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

yeah i have also struggled with mist inside the visor, wearing balaclava sometimes helps until you have to tread through traffic then i just open the visor fully, unfortunately my eyes become red from the rain and i look like i just smoked a joint before hitting the office, anyway i'll be watching closely and will try the sunlight method as the Mr min/Pledge inside the visor also wears off after a while then you are back to fogging
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250 Twister
    Region
    Western Cape

Like Warrenpridgeon - I also use dish washing soap. It lasts a few days before I need to reapply.
    The only trick is buffing off enough (or else it gets streaky) but not too much (or you're back to fogging.)
    But it's nice and convenient - there's always some in the house - and cheap.

Bike
    BMW R1200RS (ex BMW F800GT, Honda NC700X) ..... Bianchi, Cannondale, Colnago
    Region
    Gauteng

[QUOTE=RocketRooster;1162681]My new shark came with a yellowish anti-misting visor insert QUOTE]

That's a Pin Lock insert by far he best anti Fog devise on the market. The yellowish colour is probably the protective film you must peel off

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRooster View Post
    My new shark came with a yellowish anti-misting visor insert
    That's a Pin Lock insert by far he best anti Fog devise on the market. The yellowish colour is probably the protective film you must peel off
    +1

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

Yes, it's Pin Lock. I'll have to give it a try.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

I have ordered my pinlock visor from MotoMate for my AGV K5 crash hat.

My previous Shark helmets had pinlock visors and they worked perfectly.

The K5 has an "anti fog" coating on the inside of the visor but it does not work lekker hence me using the Holts Anti Mist.