Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle awareness

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Lightbulb Motorcycle awareness

In light of all motorcycle awareness events being held i am still at a point were i am ****ed off at how many accidents there actually still are.
    Was thinking last night how maybe we should stop mass riding as a way to promote motorcycle awareness for the following reasons:
    - we ride in large numbers of +30 bikes
    - we rev our bikes throughout the mass ride
    - we block off all intersections to allow bikers to ride smoothly
    - we meet and ride to biker pubs/ stadiums/ club houses

This may come off as something stupid but think of it this way...if we (+30 bikers) are revving and blocking off intersections only to stop at a bikers destination yeah sure we have made awareness for that day because people were inconvenienced and some were just happy to see bikes riding on their road on that day and the fun stops after we go past and life goes back to normal again....

I believe we should change the strategy:
    - have a ride your bike to work day once a month on a day other than on Fridays
    - encourage people to ride in groups of no less than two and no more than five
    - Ride in the normal they would do if there was no mass ride i.e obey road rules stopping at lights and stop signs etc.
    - when riding in mass rides we split groups and routes so as to cover a larger ground

There have been far too many accidents just in the first two months of this year I think we do create awareness but not enough on a daily basis and those that commute to work are a handful and are usually riding alone.

i don't know maybe i have the wrong mindset but more bikes need to be seen on the road to ensure that people are always on the look out for us bikers and also for us bikers to develop a more defensive riding mindset as opposed to "weekend warrior" high speed curve seeking enthusiast or off- road mud eating adventurers. and seemingly revving past intersection only to end u a place where there'll only bikes might not be a good idea maybe we should stop at malls or shopping centers where people who drive usually go to and make noise there.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Still having a motorist mindset (only been riding a month) personally I believe motorist need to be reminded we are just normal people with loved ones, just like them and extremely vulnerable.

Noise, racing, popping wheelies and worse of all, aggressive lane splitting as if it is our right is not going to create any empathy with motorist.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

My believe is that no cager wakes up in the morning with the mindset that he will go out and harm a biker on that day. They are just people on their way, just like I am on my bike. Sometimes they don't see us and probably half those times it is our own fault. Read the accident report by Hein Jonker. Two areas of danger to us. Intersections. Yes, they did not see us, or just recklessly crossed without looking. Look at the other area. We, the biker, rear ends vehicles. Nobody, but ourselves to blame.

I also believe, no matter how hard we drive awareness like Think Bike, at best we are asking others, over who we have no control, to look out for us. Nothing wrong with that, but we do have 100% control over ourselves, therefore my safety on my bike starts with me and ends with me.

Make sure you have been seen. Give other road users a fair chance to see you. Accept them as human being equal to you. Always be courteous. It makes a huge difference.

Finally, I ride to enjoy the ride, not to arrive p'd off. If someone do cut me off, or whatever, I put it out of my mind as soon as possible. It was not personal and therefore not important.

I read a ride report here awhile back. The writer went on his first long journey. He wrote about 10 or 12 paragraphs of which 4 or so were about the bad behaviour of cagers. It is his view and I respect that, but why allow them to screw up your ride?

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Along the lines of AMZ. If we inconvenience any cager, trucker etc we only have ourselves to blame when they get abusive and fed up with us. SA is a generally law disregarding society (especially on the roads). Minimal social compliance.
    Ideas are great for raising awareness but it only takes one occasion of delaying the average driver to convert them to disrespecting bikers in a blink of an eye.

Whatever we do has impact to those who are open to awareness and no impact on those with closed mind sets.

We are responsible for our safety as AMZ says (and he is the smarter one of us lot)
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

I'm not here

Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

+10000 To both AMZ and WBro.
    We have defensive riding
    we teach lane splitting techniques
    we try ride according to the rules of the road
    but accident happen, sometimes its our own fault or someone else or even another biker.
    most cagers as AMZ said don't go out to try take us out.
    we must try to work together on the roads for all to travel safely

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Read the accident report by Hein Jonker..
    Thanks. https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Motorc...nd-Road-Safety

Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

I hear all your comments (btw i thought AMZ was female) but what is it that we are doing wrong???
    I mean we read and read and learn and train but drivers still change lanes without indicating or make u-turns in the middle of the road or still don't stop at stop signs or red robots...
    i used to ride with a friend throughout our township and at first we always fought with drivers because of making u-turns or texting while driving or whatever life threatening thing they were doing in their cages but as time went they started noticing us more and sometimes even moving aside for us to pass them on the road, same went with my work commutes so what does that mean? drivers only give you two cents notice when they know you or know you will give them hell if they're almost killed?
    because if thats the case then i guess i could be right by saying the more we ride and the more bikes out there on the road the more observant drivers will be?

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

I hear you and agree on the current situation. But we cannot change others driving attitudes as there is no recourse here.

Sometimes I think AMZ is a Dutch chick from the Nuon Solar Team but I am not brave enough to mention it on the forum.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

http://www.msi.org.za/motorcycle-awa...-ride-register (@kazma, found this googling a bit)

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post
    I hear all your comments (btw i thought AMZ was female) but what is it that we are doing wrong???
    I mean we read and read and learn and train but drivers still change lanes without indicating or make u-turns in the middle of the road or still don't stop at stop signs or red robots...
    i used to ride with a friend throughout our township and at first we always fought with drivers because of making u-turns or texting while driving or whatever life threatening thing they were doing in their cages but as time went they started noticing us more and sometimes even moving aside for us to pass them on the road, same went with my work commutes so what does that mean? drivers only give you two cents notice when they know you or know you will give them hell if they're almost killed?
    because if thats the case then i guess i could be right by saying the more we ride and the more bikes out there on the road the more observant drivers will be?
    We (bikers) are not doing anything wrong (except thinking I am a guuuuurrrl) in terms of safety awareness. What we see is a South African lawless culture which includes large numbers of bikers. What we see on our roads is not aimed at bikers as a group.

Where I started and this made me rather unpopular, is if one of my friends or family whine or brag about some run in with the law, I do not pick their side calling the cop who wrote the fine names, or declaring the law ridiculous. The day we all stand up and tell our buddies it is not cool to break the law willy nilly, that day things will start changing.

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    Sometimes I think AMZ is a Dutch chick from the Nuon Solar Team ....
    An easy mistake to make, but I would suggest you consider the width of Nuna's cockpit and then the width of my posterior .....

And, in case you do not get the point.

mealies-1.jpg

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

So my question is:
    So what is the importance of creating biker awareness if at the end of the day we are just having a great day out with our riding buddies from point A-B then head back home only to still have these attitudes (driver attitudes) not change over time.

I believe smaller groups can have a larger impact, how many people here drive to work and if passed by two or more bikes then be on the lookout for more bikes as compared to only seeing one bike ride past you?
    I usually see one guy on a blue HayaBusa who is always wearing shorts, ride past us in the mornings after he goes past i know for sure theres no other bike following but on Fridays you will see two or more bikes come past now you think on that friday people got a bit of fright/excitement getting passed by a few bikes and maybe their minds start realizing bikes are around them on the road and by gaining that bit of interaction experience which could save two more bikers over the weekend

Thanks niconel, i have sen the posts, am also subscribed to http://www.msi.org.za/ newsletter so get e-mails from Hein which is what sparked my thinking

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

So my question is:
    So what is the importance of creating biker awareness if at the end of the day we are just having a great day out with our riding buddies from point A-B then head back home only to still have these attitudes (driver attitudes) not change over time.
    It is almost impossible for one human to change the attitude of another. My believe is that you ride in such a manner that the cagers who come across you will notice you with respect instead of fear or anger. Then, convince a buddy to do the same and so on. We cannot expect cagers to treat us in a manner completely opposite to how we treat them and sadly, the attitudes of many bikers are as bad, or worse than that of any cager out there.

I believe smaller groups can have a larger impact, how many people here drive to work and if passed by two or more bikes then be on the lookout for more bikes as compared to only seeing one bike ride past you?
    I usually see one guy on a blue HayaBusa who is always wearing shorts, ride past us in the mornings after he goes past i know for sure theres no other bike following but on Fridays you will see two or more bikes come past now you think on that friday people got a bit of fright/excitement getting passed by a few bikes and maybe their minds start realizing bikes are around them on the road and by gaining that bit of interaction experience which could save two more bikers over the weekend
    I agree with you, except that I think you alone can start making the difference.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

We (bikers) are not doing anything wrong (except thinking I am a guuuuurrrl)
    looked at you blog and assumed it was your birthday that was being celebrated at the ride also "Nuon Fangirl"??????????

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

looked at you blog and assumed it was your birthday that was being celebrated at the ride also "Nuon Fangirl"??????????
    Birthday: That was my wife. She is the guuurrrlll in the family.
    Nuon Fangirl: Typical of the derogatory disrepect we Think Bike Marshals are proud to have for each other.
    Your mistake on my sex: I am actually a nice dude, so I have not yet send out the hit men. Not yet anyway .....

But! Just to make you feel all forgiven (oh, and check your profile in 3 minutes):

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

It is almost impossible for one human to change the attitude of another. My believe is that you ride in such a manner that the cagers who come across you will notice you with respect instead of fear or anger. Then, convince a buddy to do the same and so on. We cannot expect cagers to treat us in a manner completely opposite to how we treat them and sadly, the attitudes of many bikers are as bad, or worse than that of any cager out there.

I agree with you, except that I think you alone can start making the difference.
    Totally agree, it starts with oneself then hopefully the wings of change spread to others and those that observe will have a better mindset, so yes i have changed my ways of fighting with drivers over mishaps and it has helped me to be courteous to other drivers and have seen it being reciprocated that why i asked if drivers only are kind to those they know and if that be so then maybe we should ride more often and in larger groups so drivers can see that theres more bikers than they think checked profile nice one will handle my umptions much better in future

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

checked profile nice one will handle my umptions much better in future
    Ja!

Watch it! I have Super Duper Admin Powers and I am not afraid to abuse it!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    CBR1000R, GSX650F
    Region
    Gauteng

I hear all of the opinions being given, but I feel that it is not only a one way street.

On my commute to work daily I see so many bikers that I think "this guy is going to go down soon" as the bikers just does not respect the cagers.

If we were to rather try and educate all the bikers to be more respectful to motorists, perhaps that might also be a improvement. I am of firm believe that more accidents could have been avoided of the bikers was just a little more aware of their surroundings. Don't get me wrong, I am no angel when it comes to the way i ride, but I do try to always be aware of what is around me, check ahead for swerving cars etc and it has saved me a couple of times.

Basically what I am trying to say is rather then worrying about how we educate the masses, educate the minority and then get them to do the latter.

my 2c though.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Echo03 View Post
    I hear all of the opinions being given, but I feel that it is not only a one way street.

On my commute to work daily I see so many bikers that I think "this guy is going to go down soon" as the bikers just does not respect the cagers.

If we were to rather try and educate all the bikers to be more respectful to motorists, perhaps that might also be a improvement. I am of firm believe that more accidents could have been avoided of the bikers was just a little more aware of their surroundings. Don't get me wrong, I am no angel when it comes to the way i ride, but I do try to always be aware of what is around me, check ahead for swerving cars etc and it has saved me a couple of times.

Basically what I am trying to say is rather then worrying about how we educate the masses, educate the minority and then get them to do the latter.

my 2c though.
    I think this is what most of us basically said.

Start with yourself. Drag in a few mates. Grow it from there.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

So my question is:
    Well, if you brightened the day of a lonely cager\pedestrian\dog\cow\lizard AND had a great day with your buddies I would call that a day well spent.

Also, if you make a person aware of bikers for 30 minutes and save the life of a biker that he notices in that 30 minutes just before making a u-turn then that is also worth 100 days without making a difference other than bringing some small happiness to yourself and your buddies.

Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

AMZ sure is wise... for a guy spending so much time in the mielies...

I agree, Make sure you ride with the respect that you expect to receive and start sending the ripples out into the world.
    Ricers are bikers too!