Thread: Phakisa 28/01/2017

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Phakisa 28/01/2017

So... as is tradition...

I'm heading out to Welkom on 28 January for the first Track Daze track day at Phakisa for 2017...
    Awwwweeeeeeeee YEAH! Looking forward to trying out the new tyres and tyre warmers...
    #goingpro!

Anyone else keen on going through? Drop me a PM and we can travel in convoy or something.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Enjoy mate and be safe!
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

So... My day was epic.

I was running Pirelli SC2 cut slicks and tyre warmers for the first time and was keen to see what difference it would make.

It started out with me feeling like the first session was SUPER slow... but after the session I was only 2 seconds off of my 2 personal best at Phakisa. I felt a little sick and my mouth was DRRRYYYY during the first session.

I drank like 3 energades and half a liter of water and started feeling better. The second session I dropped a second from the previous session and was now just 1 second off of my previous best.

During the third session I managed to get to my PB. An instructor came to me and said I was squaring all the corners off WAAAY too much so I was losing a lot of time by going so deep into all the corners. He told me to follow him during the fourth session and check how he was taking the corners. I had spent some time during the third session following him and had seen that a few of the corners he was taking WAAAAY different lines compared with mine.

The fourth session I focused on some tighter lines and being smoother through the corner instead of squaring them all off. He let me do a couple of laps before joining the track and following me.

He said my lines were much better. And I was delighted to see that I had dropped 6 seconds off of my personal best.

My day ended due to this:
    16406586_10154137586250952_57557927984505651_n.jpg
    I got some older warmers from a buddy and they burnt out on the tyres... could have been old age. The tyre is buggered. So I'll be replacing it, along with the tyre warmers before I go out again.

Managed to get my PB to this:
    16406509_10154134670890952_6522293389907690086_n.jpg
    STOKED with the improvement. I'm now fast enough to take part in the endurance racing... whoop whoop!!!
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Well done! That was huge.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

Damn, that sub 2 minut time is teasing you!! Well done. Best I ever managed was 2:15.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRooster View Post
    Damn, that sub 2 minut time is teasing you!! Well done. Best I ever managed was 2:15.
    Thanks. Almost there! I think I might have done a sub 2 if my day hadn't ended prematurely. The new lines I was riding helped me carry more corner speed and it didn't even feel like I was pushing hard or trying hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Well done! That was huge.
    Thanks. I spend a lot of time bending the instructors ears. Lol. This time it was about lines to follow. It made a massive difference!