Thread: Soon to be new rider, advise on gear

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Soon to be new rider, advise on gear

Hi,

Should all go to plan I'd get my ninet scrambler next weekend.

Please bear in mind I haven't been on a bike in years, and back then it was either 2strokes or dirt bikes, so excuse any stupid questions.

I'll need to get myself a helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. and curious to know if there are any specific helmets, etc known for their safety (and at the risk of sounding vain, look cool while at it)

Any safety tips in terms of gear would be welcomed. (for instance few years back I saw a lot of riders have this thing that go over your head, assume to protect your neck in case of a crash, but over time I noticed nobody is using it anymore)

Either case, thanks for allowing me on the forum and hope to be showing off my new bike real soon!

Cheers,
    Nico

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here. Awesome bike you selected. Have fun on her and be safe.

Gear is a difficult one. Rule of thumb. Get the best you can afford. Since you are buying a BMW you will be in a BMW shop. If within your budget, you can safely buy BMW gear. They tick all the boxes in terms of safety and quality.

Helmet: Check out this site below. They have not yet tested all helmets, but it is a good indication. I would not go below a 4-Star rated helmet. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ If you do get a helmet which they have not tested, make sure it carries ECE22-05 approval.

Jacket: Many good ones on the market from less than R1k to over R10k. Leather and Cordura being the two types to look at. Leather does carry a higher safety value, but Cordura is usually cheaper and more comfortable, especially in the heat and a good one will do the job once.

Gloves: Also many types available. From R250 to R2500. Make sure they have the leather protection in the right places.

The above, is in my opinion, the minimum your require.

Boots: For urban riding and touring I believe the BMW AllRound are the best available, but there are many others makes that do the job as well.

Pants: Be careful to skimp here. The cheaper types may well be safe enough, but could be very uncomfortable causing chaffing, sweating, etc.

The device you mention is a neck brace. Very few ride with them, but other riders will not ride without. It is supposed to protect your neck during a crash.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks a million AMZ.

Not wanting to be stingy, I had a look at BMW gear and from the little, I've seen so far (googling/reading) they seem to be a little pricey. But I'll go have a look again with what you said in mind (maybe can get a discount since buying a new bike from them. lol)

Clearly, I'm being paranoid...but I do come from CT and people in JHB drive nuts compared to there. Actually sold my last "bike" when moving to JHB because was too scared to drive here.

While at it, I see BMW got this rider academy. Think going to do a few of those. Or known to be a waste of money?

Bike
    Harley, Ducati, BMW plus a few more
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by niconel View Post
    Thanks a million AMZ.

While at it, I see BMW got this rider academy. Think going to do a few of those. Or known to be a waste of money?
    No training is a waste of money. It may save your life. I have heard BMW training is top notch. AMZ will be able to give expert opinion.

I'm not here
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
    No training is a waste of money. It may save your life.
    totally correct the more the better...
    There are a few other places like Full throttle, moto mate and on line, as AMZ said, get the best you can afford, most gear is of good, durable quality and protective.
    Ride defensively is a good way to ride in JHB, always be aware of your surrounds, there are lots of threads on this forum, with insight on better ways to ride and are very informative.

Happy riding, and get involved with TB by spreading the word!!
    If you require Safety Training pop us WhatsApp: 062 192 5492

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks a million AMZ.

Not wanting to be stingy, I had a look at BMW gear and from the little, I've seen so far (googling/reading) they seem to be a little pricey. But I'll go have a look again with what you said in mind (maybe can get a discount since buying a new bike from them. lol)

Clearly, I'm being paranoid...but I do come from CT and people in JHB drive nuts compared to there. Actually sold my last "bike" when moving to JHB because was too scared to drive here.

The BMW gear is pricey, but trust me on this, the same quality from another supplier is as pricey. The problem with BMW gear is that you do not have a choice. At another supplier they will have from very cheap to very expensive and everything in between. Remember. "Best you can afford". We guys get THE ITCH after some time and then we upgrade anyway.

Safety of area? All perception. I have a colleague that recently moved from CT to JHB. He can't stop talking how courteous the Gauteng drivers are toward biker.

Any training at any of the good academies such as the BMW Academy or the Speed Queen Academy is valuable. Just be sure to pic the right level. I will not be wasted time and money.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks so much AMZ, Oisin, AlexJ! Will take your advice to heart, browse this forum and get the best gear I "just" can't afford.
    Something to keep me busy till next week (always rode with a learners, now can only get my bike after passing it *again* next week. lol)

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Alexj View Post
    Ride defensively is a good way to ride in JHB, always be aware of your surrounds, there are lots of threads on this forum, with insight on better ways to ride and are very informative.
    Happy riding, and get involved with TB by spreading the word!!
    funny enough was reading the below article http://www.motorcycle.com/features/h...-teachers.html sorry to hijack your thread niconel, thought the below statement was quite interesting if you have a read at at the article
    “Motorcyclists should consider the merits of riding offensively. Riding offensively was a mindset that incorporates all the precautionary steps defensive riding entails but goes a step further to proactively shape the operating environment. In short; observe, evaluate, and act decisively to dictate the traffic situation around you. Your tools are your judgment, your throttle, and your lane placement to maximize your opportunities for success.” – keith Code

Anyway Niconel congratulations on your purchase and its good that you buying with gear in mind, cant give advice as my first gear was woolworths winter jacket, gym gloves, second hand helmet and safety boots until i had my first fall

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post
    “Motorcyclists should consider the merits of riding offensively. Riding offensively was a mindset that incorporates all the precautionary steps defensive riding entails but goes a step further to proactively shape the operating environment. In short; observe, evaluate, and act decisively to dictate the traffic situation around you. Your tools are your judgment, your throttle, and your lane placement to maximize your opportunities for success.” – keith Code
    If taking possession of your lane is offensive then so be it. I always ride in the middle of the lane that I travel in on the highway. Any indecisiveness results in some twit pushing in alongside you. I do this whether riding the Vespa or the Harley. The Vespa is 300cc so keeping up at 120kph is no problem. If I ride the TW200 I keep in the left lane and keep a good lookout behind as it can only do 100 - 110 so is not really a good highway commuter.

Bike
    R80GS PD
    Region
    Gauteng

I never ride in the middle of a lane. Your view is or can be obstructed by vehicles in front of you. I look as far as possible. Furthermore, riding to the side of the lane, gives me an option to use when things get tight. You can always pass the other vehicle which might become an obstruction. You can also swerve easier should the vehicle in front of you apply brakes without seeming reason. I usually ride in the lane that has the least traffic in front of me, doesn't matter which one. Less vehicles means less potential problems. Stuff the others, it's my life at stake.

I can help with training, pm if you want to.....
    You don't ride in the rain, you don't ride!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Send you a message, thanks dude.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Any advice for tonight?
    Something along the lines of "oh by the way babe, I bought a bike" ?

Someone's going to be sleeping on the couch a few days.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by THE MOOSE View Post
    I never ride in the middle of a lane. Your view is or can be obstructed by vehicles in front of you. I look as far as possible. Furthermore, riding to the side of the lane, gives me an option to use when things get tight. You can always pass the other vehicle which might become an obstruction. You can also swerve easier should the vehicle in front of you apply brakes without seeming reason. I usually ride in the lane that has the least traffic in front of me, doesn't matter which one. Less vehicles means less potential problems. Stuff the others, it's my life at stake.
    I suppose it depends on what you consider is safer for you. I rode for 8 years daily between Pretoria and Benoni and always took possession of my lane in the middle and found it to be the best for me. I normally travel with the traffic and try not to overtake too much or weave in between like some lunatics that I have seen.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by THE MOOSE View Post
    I never ride in the middle of a lane. Your view is or can be obstructed by vehicles in front of you. I look as far as possible. Furthermore, riding to the side of the lane, gives me an option to use when things get tight. You can always pass the other vehicle which might become an obstruction. You can also swerve easier should the vehicle in front of you apply brakes without seeming reason. .
    +1.

Also, I do not support the "own your lane" thing. I own my life and if I need to give up a bit of space to get a irritated driver of another vehicle pass, I happily do so.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    +1.

Also, I do not support the "own your lane" thing. I own my life and if I need to give up a bit of space to get a irritated driver of another vehicle pass, I happily do so.
    I find owning the lane works for me and I also have the choice of giving way left or right for an impatient overtaker. In "owning a lane" or "taking possession of it" does not mean keeping everyone out. It just means that I have made myself visible and a presence on the road and of course will give way when necessary. In town traffic I always pull up near the white line as some don't believe in stopping at red lights and will take you out if you are in the middle.

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

yeah riding is mixture of thoughts especially when having to consider what to do to prevent another driver from harming you, its like being a father and grandfather all at the same time, you must treat adults and children accordingly what a philosophy...anyway with regular riding you soon realise how to ride in the lanes and such, you are guys are great to talk to cause most of you ride daily so you never hear stupid remarks like "lanesplit all the way or keep hogging the lane" anyway i keep in the middle lane on threeway highways cause am still struggling with target fixation from time to time, its slight but its there when you travelling at a good pace and usually keep left on dual roads and split to if the need arises, its easier for the guy driving on the left lane to see you pass and make way for you then coming from behind the guy from the right.yeah at stops i keep in the middle lane but not on the paint so about informing the wife good luck buddy all i did was bring the bike into the garage while everyone was at church snuck back into church when the family came home "surprise" look what the cat dragged in my bike

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post
    so about informing the wife good luck buddy all i did was bring the bike into the garage while everyone was at church snuck back into church when the family came home "surprise" look what the cat dragged in my bike
    Heard about the guy who mulled for a long time about trading his bike in for another that he wanted but was afraid of his wife's reaction if he raised the issue. He decided to go ahead without telling SWAMBO and came home on the new bike. His wife stood outside looking long and hard at him but said nothing. Expecting the bomb to burst he kept a low profile for a day or two until his wife suddenly said to him "you didn't tell me you were going to spray your bike another colour" Crisis over.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Any advice for tonight?
    Something along the lines of "oh by the way babe, I bought a bike" ?

Someone's going to be sleeping on the couch a few days.
    UH OH! Get the gear, especially helmet and earplugs first!

When I decided to get a bike again, I thought about raising the issue with Mags for a months or so. Then I said: "Magdaleen, I think I would like to trade in my quad on a road bike. I feel ...."

Mags: "I WANT ONE TOO!" And the rest is history.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Will get rest over the week (gloves, shoes) but it's a start (just can't get myself to spend more in a single day. lol)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15894600_1632376133735084_2321140805432836833_n.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	81075

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Lekker man!