Thread: Need help buying first bike

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Nice post Pirate.
    The article pushes 500cc but I feel the 600cc is a minimum to get out of any issues on our highways in ZA, and you did mention the 600cc in your reply.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Any of the 300cc bikes currently available will happily leave traffic issues on the highway behind.

Me, leaning toward Springbok prop size, believe that way too much power is just enough and therefore would prefer the 600 class bikes, like those mentioned already. I would rate (hugely biased) the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom top of the pops in this class.

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Any of the (deleted) bikes currently available will happily leave traffic issues on the highway behind.
    fixed

Me, leaning toward Springbok prop size, believe that way too much power is just enough and therefore would prefer the 600 class bikes, like those mentioned already. I would rate (hugely biased) the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom top of the pops in this class.
    As far as OMB's in the 600 class go, why not?
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

As far as OMB's in the 600 class go, why not?
    Nope. I have nothing against the 600 class Beemers. I cannot see anyone being unhappy with any of the 600 Beemers. Remember!

Originally Posted by AMZ

N00b
    Bike
    GSXR k1 600
    Region
    Western Cape

I did some research and apparently the Thundercat and the Fazer is the exact same motor.... I found a thundercat for 28k in mint condition. Has anyone had any experience with the Thundercat? the one I am looking at is a 2003 model. Not sure if they introduced fuel injection to these bikes in that year

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Fowler View Post
    I did some research and apparently the Thundercat and the Fazer is the exact same motor.... I found a thundercat for 28k in mint condition. Has anyone had any experience with the Thundercat? the one I am looking at is a 2003 model. Not sure if they introduced fuel injection to these bikes in that year
    No you are wrong, but also right! that was true for the pre-2004 models. Those models are all carburettor models. From 2004 the 600 Fazer changed shape and received the 2003 fuel injected R6 motor which was de-tuned from 125hp tp 98hp and produced better torque at lower rpm.

I have worked on two Thundercats, cleaning and balancing carbs, servicing etc and I have a 2004 Fazer. They are two different bikes putting out the same maximum horsepower in different ways. Both have a nice surge of power above 8000rpm. The Fazer has a snatchier throttle which is not as smooth as the carb fed Thundercat.

Both are bullet proof motors but beware that on the Thundercat there may be problems with the second gear if the bike has been ridden roughly. You will have to split the gearbox to replace the second gear.

Both Thundercats I worked on were 1998 Canadian models that were first registered in South Africa in 2003.

Bof 2 (800 x 600).jpg
    BoF 3 (800 x 600).jpg

Here are photos of my bike with the two Thundercats
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

The Thundercat is a great bike with supposedly better brakes and fully adjustable suspension but R28000 asking price may be a bit high for for this model.

Here is a link to the Thundercat site which is full of good information: http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40547
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

I am 110 kgs without riding gear and the 600 Fazer runs nicely with my butt on it.

It wasn't my Fazer we did the 24 hour on. Is was a 2004 Naked that belonged to a good mate of mine. It did the first 24 hour in 2011 and then another one in 2013. It didn't miss a beat except for when we put some fuel in that had water in (had been a very rainy period and the petrol station tank might have been leaking).

After the second 24 race the bike had just under 100000 kays on the clock and was still running smoothly without any issues. She did burn a little oil by then but not that you would have to top up. I think we used about 500 ml during the 24 hour which equated to about 2200 kms.

Bulletproof little bike.
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Nope. I have nothing against the 600 class Beemers. I cannot see anyone being unhappy with any of the 600 Beemers. Remember!

Originally Posted by AMZ
    And I tried to echo that sentiment...

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    I am 110 kgs without riding gear and the 600 Fazer runs nicely with my butt on it.

It wasn't my Fazer we did the 24 hour on. Is was a 2004 Naked that belonged to a good mate of mine. It did the first 24 hour in 2011 and then another one in 2013. It didn't miss a beat except for when we put some fuel in that had water in (had been a very rainy period and the petrol station tank might have been leaking).

After the second 24 race the bike had just under 100000 kays on the clock and was still running smoothly without any issues. She did burn a little oil by then but not that you would have to top up. I think we used about 500 ml during the 24 hour which equated to about 2200 kms.

Bulletproof little bike.
    I thought I remembered something as much. Still, IIRC you were quite impressed with the bike holding out to that kind of punishment.

Unfortunately I know extremely little of the Thundercats, though I like the name.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

That Fazer we rode has been used for commuting, track days and tours. My mate did the Tri-track tour on it (East London, PE and Cape Town). Is has done a couple of long trips two up with full luggage, the last being Centurion to Cape Town via the Garden route.

At the last 24 hour, it was ridden up from Hillcrest in Natal to Redstar. The luggage was taken off and a couple of softer tyres fitted and she went out for the Friday practice

I am in the very bad habit of changing bikes on a far too regular basis and this is my 3rd Fazer. My previous one is now in Cape Town in the hands of forum member Nades and my first one I saw advertised on Gumtree a few weeks ago and it now has 80 odd thousand kays on the clock.

Check this out and then call me

http://shearvision.co.za/myfazer/
    Dunslop lover....

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Gosh, thoroughly enjoyed reading that Dave!

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Carbon. And that was only up until the end of the first 24 hour.

2 years later we did the 2nd one. I dropped the bike on the last lap of my qualifying session and broke the speedo. So we couldnt see how fast we were going (not serious) but also didnt have a fuel gauge (far more serious!).

Grant left SA in March last year and sold the bike on to another happy owner
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

So did I. I seldomly enjoy my morning coffee as much as I did when reading that.
    From your friendly cager

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Stephen. Are you perhaps langslang from battlefield?