Thread: Trip to Cape Town from Jozi

Bike
    KTM 390 RC
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Trip to Cape Town from Jozi

Anyone planning to ride down to CPT in December?

Bike
    KTM 390 RC
    Region
    Gauteng

Thinking on leaving the evening of the 21st December.

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

sounds like quite an adventure, unfortunately will be working and the funds might be tight. maybe if you planning another one for next year we can keep in touch.

Bike
    KTM 390 RC
    Region
    Gauteng

Maybe. It's would be a crazy trip. Got a 390cc single cylinder that could do about 200km per tank. Not going to do it alone. If no takers I'm going to fly down rather

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Maybe. It's would be a crazy trip. Got a 390cc single cylinder that could do about 200km per tank. Not going to do it alone. If no takers I'm going to fly down rather
    Why not alone?

Go for it!

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Why not alone?

Go for it!
    Yeah going alone on such long trips, it'll be better to ensure you know a few people who live somewhere along the way, family or friends, keep your phone on charge the whole trip and at stops let them know how far or close you are from them. Preferably a radius of 200kms would be comfortable. only have done 600km round trip alone and somewhere you start getting really distracted especially on the long straights and that''s where you even go past a petrol station without realizing

Bike
    KTM 390 RC
    Region
    Gauteng

Don't mind going it alone, will be so much fun but going it two or more riders would be so much more fun. Maybe in the new year.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Don't mind going it alone, will be so much fun but going it two or more riders would be so much more fun. Maybe in the new year.
    The more, the merrier. True, but alone can be a heck of a lot of fun as well.

JHB to CT looks a lot more intimidating than it is, but it will always be a lekker ride and a nice feeling of accomplishment when done. Of course, I am biased as, in my younger days, I did many a long ride with small bikes, the most epic being about 2000km in 9 days with a 50cc Yamaha.

Also search the forum. You will find some epic small bike journeys. Of course there is Tour Biker's rides on his 250 and later 400, there is the gent (his name slipped my mind) who did JHB to CT and back three times in the same year on a 250 Jonway. The lady, Antoinette, who did JHB to Alexander Bay and back on a 150 Vuka! Linus, whose son did Cape Town on a 180. Lekker man!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

If you have spare time, read the blog of Bicycle Touring Pro. Lots of videos as well. Riding long distance with someone else, the two or more of you, needs to understand each other very well. It's almost essential that the group must ride short distances together prior to the long ride that everyone understands the other persons riding discipline.

In short, I like meeting bikers but I prefer riding alone. I wouldn't even start by recalling examples of trips (intended group rides) that turned out a disaster. Almost all, had some negative connection.

Establish the group dynamic before the trip. The group break-up during the trip is a all round disaster. There's a lot of bikers here on this forum that do ride in groups of two or larger... and depending the "type" of ride... some very good tips can come from them... but don't assume riding with someone will be a lot of fun.

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Just go do it. Your own pace your own time own riding style. Take a page out of my book and just head in the general direction and stop when you feel like it. No better holiday

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Just go do it. Your own pace your own time own riding style. Take a page out of my book and just head in the general direction and stop when you feel like it. No better holiday
    Listen to this old fart. He knows.

Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; Sym Jet14 200; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng

I've done plenty of long-haul solo rides, sometimes a thousand clicks in a day. Ok, I was younger. But group rides can be fun. Knowing your companions is a worthwhile investment. Three to four bikes is perfect. The more bikes the longer everthing takes, filling up, regrouping, eating, everything. A small tight group is flexible.
    Leave on time. You simply cannot make up time on the road. Have a road plan and work it, unless of course, you all understand a laizze faire ride. I need structure in a group. On my own I also ride my plan. Also, plan to stop around 4pm absolute latest. If you have a detour or trouble, then you still have daylight hours in reserve. Let folks know your route, and check in as scheduled.
    Avoid heavy meals and alcohol until you stop for the night. Carry a bog roll. For cleaning your visor, of course !
    Fill up when you can; avoid emptying your tank. Plus regular stops gives you a nice leg break.

On long trips, 4-5 hours saddle time per day is good so you can ride to the road not to the clock. Think through emergency protocols; have numbers stored; have a plan.

Then you can relax and enjoy the ride.

Also, this is a personal choice: I like to ride single file and at my own pace. 600km is tight staggered formation isnt my thing. I want to be in control of my own ride; I want space to ride in.
    But it is good to have a stage leader, a front guy who knows the road or sets the pace. That way you dont lose guys falling behind. Its not polite to leave someone stranded. Look out for each other.

Agree on hand signals so you can communicate without stopping.
    But hey, thats just me.

The aim is not just to have fun but to all get home safely.
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by 747 View Post
    I've done plenty of long-haul solo rides...
    Awesome 747, you summarized it spot on! Maybe I'll add your input to my blog somewhere.

I can only add, I do find the GPS on my bike useful with long tours. Keep in mind to preset it before the time and do not fiddle with it during riding. My GPS constantly calculate time of arrival... sort of to guide timing during a long day. Most would use a GPS to find addresses or short routes, but the main purpose for me is timing. In Namibia on those long stretches of road that help and also kept riding fatigue to a minimum... maybe that's more psychology... but it works.
    I can set the fields I want on my GPS. Sunrise and Sunset is useful to me. The time of day... obviously my clock...Distance to destination and arrival time is very useful. On my bike I use the bike trip counter as fuel gauge. The Trip counter on the GPS run for a whole tour. I sort of like the elevation field... specially in Namibia to sort of feel the landscape I'm riding. I don't think it's necessary to mention that I check my speed on the GPS... and not so much on the bike clock... specially in towns and areas with low speed restrictions including roadworks.
    DSC_8033.jpg