Thread: And then there were none

Bike
    Kawa Z300
    Region
    Gauteng

Default And then there were none

Hi,

I need to ask some advice about both license disc and number plate on my bike.

A short while back I came across a thread somewhere (not sure if here or somewhere else) concerning license disc's being stolen/lost. Well I noticed a few weeks back that my disc was missing before reading said thread. People advise using a copy in your disc holder and keeping the original with you for when they pull you over. There seems to be some sort of trend of discs being stolen off bikes. This is all good and well, if only I'd had this knowledge before losing mine. All's good, I'll get a new disc when I get around to it. At least I still have my plate.

Here's the fun part. Yesterday evening I went for a ride to Melrose. After getting off the bike I did a walk around her, pretty much just to admire the beauty but also to check that nothing looks dodgy. Lo and behold, there was no number plate anymore. Upon closer inspection I see that the number plate holder, a plastic job that I purchased the bike with, had broken off. For the life of me I can't think how this could possibly happen during the normal riding that I do, which at this point is basically to work and back.

Has anyone here experienced something similar?
    Typically I immediately jump to the conclusion that some asshole broke it off intentionally but I have no proof of this so can't really be angry about it.
    Should I be worried about someone using my plate and getting fines on my name etc? Do I need to report the missing plate to prevent this from happening?

Well I guess now I need a new plate, plate holder, disc and disc holder.

Any advice on how to prevent this happening in future after all replacements have been acquired would be greatly appreciated.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Anything bolted on, including license holder and number plate holder, can fall off.

Bike
    Kawa Z300
    Region
    Gauteng

Yeah I hear you. But in my case the bolts are all still firmly in place.

With the license disc the holder is still there but the part where the disc goes into with the rubber seal and the plastic window is gone.
    With the number plate the bolts are still holding 2 small pieces of plastic which used to belong to holder but have apparently broken off.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    Yeah I hear you. But in my case the bolts are all still firmly in place.

With the license disc the holder is still there but the part where the disc goes into with the rubber seal and the plastic window is gone.
    With the number plate the bolts are still holding 2 small pieces of plastic which used to belong to holder but have apparently broken off.
    It doesn't necessarily fall off because the bolts came loose. If the number plate holder is on with 2 bolts only, it is almost guaranteed to eventually break off right there where the bolts gi through it. Material fatigue due to vibration. License disc holder either rattle open and / or break off against the bolt. It could off course also be stolen.

Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng

I had to renew the GS's licence disk the other day and when I tried to check when the NC's expire, it was also gone. I renewed both and now I just keep a copy in the NC's cubby.
    I went through a roadblock the other day and they asked me for the disk, which I took out and showed the cops. Maybe I was just lucky but they didn't have any issues.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

I have my license disk on my person. It is not fixed to the Motorcycle.
    I have been pulled over about 4 times in roadblocks and they did not have a issue with it. I usually just explain that it gets stolen.
    Thus far it has not been a issue or I may just have been lucky.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The average cop will happily accept that it is not displayed because they understand they get stolen of fall off. Of course, someday you may run into the cop whose wife just ran off with a biker .....

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Just don't let a learner go for their riders' licence with a copy on their bike, bike can immediately be seen as unroadworthy

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Just don't let a learner go for their riders' licence with a copy on their bike, bike can immediately be seen as unroadworthy
    Jip. Instant fail.