Thread: ABS... I have it... It is helpful... I don't like it.

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default ABS... I have it... It is helpful... I don't like it.

Hi bikers of all types of bikes.

I have had my CB for quite a while now and I know that the ABS system has been useful but I do not like it, to me it lacks "feel".
    I have always had bikes without ABS till now and I could always tell where the limit was of how hard I could apply brakes.
    ABS on the other hand took me a little bit of time to get used to.
    I can obviously feel the difference of slowing down and needing to stop a bit quicker but I have been in one or two situations when I first got my bike where I needed to apply brakes hard and I was finding myself letting go slightly and tightening again constantly trying to find it's "limit" which will never be felt on this bike. I now know... If I need to stop fast, pull that lever as hard as possible and feel the wheels judder a bit while the ABS prevents the wheels from locking.
    I have gotten used to it and it is safer to an extent, as apparently a bike can stop quicker without ABS if the rider knows how to.
    I miss that "feeling"
    Girlfriend:"Why do you sleep with a gun under your pillow?"
    Me:"Decepticons"
    She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. good times.

Pretty woman .... make me stall ... iamgigglz's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Yup, cars stop quicker with ABS than without, but bikes definitely take longer to stop with ABS than without. I don't know why but it is what it is.
    ABS (sort of) saved me twice on the Transalp. Once when I was still a newbie, in the rain on a road covered in diesel. Lights changed to orange as I was checking my blind spot. Looked back and they were suddenly red. I grabbed my brakes in a panic, ABS kept me upright and and I sailed through the intersection. Without ABS I would have sailed through the intersection on my ass.
    Second time was my recent accident. Dry road, lady turns right in front of me. I grab the brakes and T-bone the car, doing a superman over the boot. Without ABS I would have either done a stoppie and gone headfirst into the side of the car, or I would have low-sided and gone under the car.

I'll never ride on-road without ABS. I hear what you're saying about that feeling though. Your braking input is going through a ABS box with all sorts of hydraulic witchcraft inside. That direct connection to the caliper is lost.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Just keep in mind that the task of ABS is not to stop the vehicle quicker, but to allow control of the vehicle during hard braking.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Unless you drive a BMW/Volvo/Audi/LARGE 4 x 4, then it allows you to ride right up someone's ass at high speed and allow you to stop in time???? It's a pity that the basics of how your vehicle actually works are not explained properly when one purchases it! And we all know that the owners hand book is for sissies!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Answer is hidden here: Too fast, too close, option of both of the previous mentioned.

It feels crappy but it is doing a grand job in helping you keep the front upright and working as hard as it can to slow you down.

This does not apply when a sudden freak accident situation appears in from of you. But then you can refer to the two answers above...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa 1 View Post
    Unless you drive a BMW/Volvo/Audi/LARGE 4 x 4, then it allows you to ride right up someone's ass at high speed and allow you to stop in time???? It's a pity that the basics of how your vehicle actually works are not explained properly when one purchases it! And we all know that the owners hand book is for sissies!
    Tailgating is nothing new. Drivers were doing it decades before anyone thought of ABS.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Tailgating is nothing new. Drivers were doing it decades before anyone thought of ABS.
    Agree. The reflection from the bakkie canopy in front was better than the mirror for getting your tie right. (yes we are that old...)
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

We can debate this till the cows come home. However my 2c is that as tech develops we must embrace it. During training for hard braking, I always asked what braking system the bike had. 80% of the guys had no clue. Knowing what you have influences how you brake.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    We can debate this till the cows come home. However my 2c is that as tech develops we must embrace it. During training for hard braking, I always asked what braking system the bike had. 80% of the guys had no clue. Knowing what you have influences how you brake.

What he said.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Since my very first bike, a 1976 Yamaha RD50 right to today, all my bikes had ABS. So, I am pretty used to it and relish riding with it.

What do you mean ABS does not stand for AMZ's Brake Stomper, i.e. my right foot?

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Region
    North West

I also have that ABS on my bike. It doesn't work so well though. And it makes a terrible noise and leaves black marks on the road

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    I also have that ABS on my bike. It doesn't work so well though. And it makes a terrible noise and leaves black marks on the road
    It's not supposed to do that!?

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Region
    North West

It's an issue with the main brake modulator. He is a bit heavy-footed sometimes

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    It's an issue with the main brake modulator. He is a bit heavy-footed sometimes
    Back in the day, I used to ride .... er, I mean someone I have heard of, used to ride all weekend, with bare feet. Then come Monday, I ... uhm, I mean that guy I have heard of, had to go back to army. Army boot, on rear brake after weekend of bare feet ...... plenty tyre gone.

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

I reckon if you are riding sensibly lamb chop you should never have to feel the pulsing of the ABS. I have had it on a number of bikes and have only really needed it once when a woman in front of me slammed on her brakes and I had to the same..

And when BMW launched the F800 at Zwartkops as Capt Grumpy would remember we had lots of fun on the track braking VERY hard at the top of the hill into turn 5
    Dunslop lover....

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    I reckon if you are riding sensibly lamb chop you should never have to feel the pulsing of the ABS. I have had it on a number of bikes and have only really needed it once when a woman in front of me slammed on her brakes and I had to the same..

And when BMW launched the F800 at Zwartkops as Capt Grumpy would remember we had lots of fun on the track braking VERY hard at the top of the hill into turn 5
    What do you mean braking, I just ride flat out in 1st everywhere.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R