Thread: Accessories stores closing

Bike
    BMW F800GS Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Accessories stores closing

Hi Everyone;

I live in Midvaal, and periodically require some general motorcycle accessories and consumables (like chain wax, visor cleaner or whatever). Week before last I went to fullthrottle in V-Town (thats Vereeniging/Vanderbijl) just to find they closed down
    OK, no biggie, I go to my alternate option the indie in Voortrekker road next to the bridge...whaaaaat..... ALSO closed down. So has the FT in The Glen. Which only leaves one store (which I have only been to once) somewhere in V-Town central. That or ride out to Randburg or Edenvale.

Three questions:
    1. Is the motorcycle accessory store not a sustainable business?
    2. Is there a repository of these stores/suppliers somewhere?
    3. Is there a online supplier?
    We tried nothing, and we are all out of ideashttps://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/266184.png

Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Can buy online from FT.
    They don't always have everything on the website, but seems like they quick to reply on FB to any queries (never used online since I'm close to the Vale)

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    Hi Everyone;

I live in Midvaal, and periodically require some general motorcycle accessories and consumables (like chain wax, visor cleaner or whatever). Week before last I went to fullthrottle in V-Town (thats Vereeniging/Vanderbijl) just to find they closed down
    OK, no biggie, I go to my alternate option the indie in Voortrekker road next to the bridge...whaaaaat..... ALSO closed down. So has the FT in The Glen. Which only leaves one store (which I have only been to once) somewhere in V-Town central. That or ride out to Randburg or Edenvale.

Three questions:
    1. Is the motorcycle accessory store not a sustainable business?
    2. Is there a repository of these stores/suppliers somewhere?
    3. Is there a online supplier?

I also live in the vaal.
    I heard rumours of why FT v-town closed.
    It sucks...I got my Shark S900 there for a decent price.
    None of the little bike shops in the vaal carry brake pads for my Daytona (FT did).

The shop in v-town central is at "1 De Villiers Ave, Vereeniging, 1939" on the corner of De Villiers Ave and Union street. There used to be a boat place there.
    They should have the essentials that you need.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    Three questions:
    1. Is the motorcycle accessory store not a sustainable business? No.
    2. Is there a repository of these stores/suppliers somewhere? Google
    3. Is there a online supplier? Yes, but rather slow and useless in SA.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

To answer question 1:

Yes, they are sustainable and profitable. Pity that so many people that run said shops basically run them into the ground. Seen it all to often.
    Like a certain chain of accessories store that went belly up due to pure mismanagement....

Edited to add: and would not surprise me in the least if FT in Lynnwood Road here in Pta closes it's doors sometime soon.
    Seen that shop go from a brilliant shop that I visited at least twice a week to buy stuff to the current meh shop that I only go to if I can't get things anywhere else, and then they have to get it from the Edenvale store anyways.

I have gone straight to the Edenvale shop directly and bypassed the whole process many times.
    And would rather go there or to Moto Mate in Rivonia.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv
    Region
    Gauteng

+1 on Moto Mate in Rivonia

Thats generally always my only stop, service is great and prices great.

Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
    +1 on Moto Mate in Rivonia

Thats generally always my only stop, service is great and prices great.
    I had some good specials at Moto Mate but between my brother and I we had bad experiences with their workshop. Lets just say I would not have them work on our bikes again.

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister, KTM 390
    Region
    Gauteng

+1 on motomate. They were throwing discounts at me and also got a free motogp calender tons of stock. can't comment on the workshop though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Kawazaki Er6n
    Region
    Gauteng

Rumor has it that full throttle is on its way out, unless the stores start become self sustainable, owner is no longer financing as the business has been a cash drain.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Moto Mia Coretto 200cc. 2014 Kawasaki 650kle Versys
    Region
    Western Cape

I think all these bike/motorshops should do what some retail shops do; create accounts where people can pay off 6-12 months off.
    Items are expensive, so if we can pay it off, it will make it more affordable for more people. Me included

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunyCPT View Post
    I think all these bike/motorshops should do what some retail shops do; create accounts where people can pay off 6-12 months off.
    Items are expensive, so if we can pay it off, it will make it more affordable for more people. Me included
    It is not a bad idea, but only a cash rich retailer can do that. Most of these accessory shops are already struggling to carry the cost of the required large and expensive stock keeping. To have to wait for payment after a sale, pay the added admin costs and bad debt will just lead to their demise sooner. Something that could really work is for one of the existing retailers taking over bike accessories. Something like Mr Price Bike.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Moto Mia Coretto 200cc. 2014 Kawasaki 650kle Versys
    Region
    Western Cape

Yep, that could work.