Thread: Checking in!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Checking in!

Hey Guys,

The name's Michael, and I'm looking at getting a KTM 390 Duke.

I live on the Woes Rand, and work with the larneys in Sandton.

I've never ridden before - so I'm going to book at Krugersdorp Licensing Dept. next week for the learners, then I'll probably attend a lesson at SQR - an ex colleague recommended them prior to me joining the forum.

Any advice on the above-mentioned bike, as well as full gear would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    KM

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Invest in gloves (carbon/hard knuckles), R400 upwards; jacket (with all padding - choice between leather/summer/all season), R1200 upwards if you shop wisely I.e. last season style/stock; good boots �� that protect the ankle (short/long); pants with padding (knees and bum will thank you), Kevlar on the flip side of R1k.

You won't be able to pick-up common sense at any of the suppliers, but that is very important on 2 wheels. Keep alert, upright, and be courteous to fellow road users.

Enjoy the ride, rain, hail, sun, tears and find a creative way to sneeze under the visor!
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister, KTM 390
    Region
    Gauteng

I have the 390 for my second bike. It rocks around town. Light, nimble, punchy. Highways - it is fast enough to go faster than the cars, but that piston is working hard at highway speeds. I'm no expert but in my opinion it's a good beginner bike. Nice up right riding position. Enough power to pass cars and not to get bored anytime soon. ABS as standard. The duke is definitely more comfy than it's rc390 cousin. Apparently they bringing an updated duke next year though..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Also have the Duke as 2nd bike and my preference to commute with. Best power/weight ratio for the price plus ABS. Enjoy the bike, and welcome !
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

How're the maintenance costs on the 390s? I heard KTM is a bit pricey?

I had my 1st ride today, I took my dad's 1996 Kawa KLE500 for a ride and oh man, did I stall that thing!!

I definitely need to perfect clutch control with my hands, and I need to gain confidence in my turning ability. In a 20min ride, I must've stalled 30+ times I stalled while riding and had to rock the bike (Advice I called on from when I rode quad 10 years ago), but this was after I sukkeled to start it for the 5th time

I also hit my shin, sho I have a gorgeous bump and a graze

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Go straight for a 1000cc Supercharged Kawasaki H2 :P

You can buy with your brain or heart... most end up with the bike their heart wants.... and since you have already suggested the 390 yourself I think you have already made up your mind.
    Girlfriend:"Why do you sleep with a gun under your pillow?"
    Me:"Decepticons"
    She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. good times.

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post

I had my 1st ride today, I took my dad's 1996 Kawa KLE500 for a ride and oh man, did I stall that thing!!

I definitely need to perfect clutch control with my hands, and I need to gain confidence in my turning ability. In a 20min ride, I must've stalled 30+ times I stalled while riding and had to rock the bike (Advice I called on from when I rode quad 10 years ago), but this was after I sukkeled to start it for the 5th time

sorry but...... NOOOOOOOB!!!!

lol. Just jokes, the 1st motorized thing I tried to ride was a moped and I gave up xD
    Girlfriend:"Why do you sleep with a gun under your pillow?"
    Me:"Decepticons"
    She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. good times.

Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

My service on 6500km was around R1300, can't recall really ... Old age setting in 😁
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

When I got my 1st bike i drove throughout the suburd every night after work to practice all my controls, stops, pull aways etc. Also had it doe a LOT of times and made lots of silly mistakes. My thinking was to rather make the mistakes where there is less or no traffic. Only once i felt comfortable did i venture on further trips.
    My point is to each their own. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by bksrdr View Post
    When I got my 1st bike i drove throughout the suburd every night after work to practice all my controls, stops, pull aways etc. Also had it doe a LOT of times and made lots of silly mistakes. My thinking was to rather make the mistakes where there is less or no traffic. Only once i felt comfortable did i venture on further trips.
    My point is to each their own. Do what you feel comfortable with.
    bksrdr, that's my plan!!

My complex is situated on a hill, so I'm planning on perfecting my clutch control and turning in the relative safety before braving the wild wild roads.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Guys,

I've never ridden before - so I'm going to book at Krugersdorp Licensing Dept. next week for the learners, then I'll probably attend a lesson at SQR - an ex colleague recommended them prior to me joining the forum.

Any advice on the above-mentioned bike, as well as full gear would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    KM
    Make that "probably" a "definitely". You will not regret.

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
    KM
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Make that "probably" a "definitely". You will not regret.
    +1 Most biking accidents could be avoided by the rider, and usually end worse for the rider than any other party involved. So, in the interest of safety, DO THE LESSONS ASAP! You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Invest in gloves (carbon/hard knuckles), R400 upwards; jacket (with all padding - choice between leather/summer/all season), R1200 upwards if you shop wisely I.e. last season style/stock; good boots �� that protect the ankle (short/long); pants with padding (knees and bum will thank you), Kevlar on the flip side of R1k.

You won't be able to pick-up common sense at any of the suppliers, but that is very important on 2 wheels. Keep alert, upright, and be courteous to fellow road users.

Enjoy the ride, rain, hail, sun, tears and find a creative way to sneeze under the visor!
    +1000 ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). Dress for the slide, not the ride. You never know when (note: NOT if, but WHEN) you will slide, and for that you need as much safety gear as you can muster. There is an article on safety gear here: http://www.thinkbike.co.za/2012/inde...in/education/a, read it.

So, now you get to make fun of the old guys, too!

Ride safe
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

+1 Most biking accidents could be avoided by the rider, and usually end worse for the rider than any other party involved. So, in the interest of safety, DO THE LESSONS ASAP! You won't regret it.

+1000 ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). Dress for the slide, not the ride. You never know when (note: NOT if, but WHEN) you will slide, and for that you need as much safety gear as you can muster. There is an article on safety gear here: http://www.thinkbike.co.za/2012/inde...in/education/a, read it.

So, now you get to make fun of the old guys, too!

Ride safe

License booked at Krugersdorp for Friday, 3 day lead time there!! I'm so chuffed!

But, in the process of exiting my parking at home this morning, I introduced the car's backside to a tree. R17K is the damage quoted.

I don't plan on riding without sufficient gear. My body is a temple :P

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng

welcome kingmikel

keep practicing on your dads bike , stalling is just part of the learning process
    hills are easy , use back brakes then pull away and once you moving forward let go the back brakes

Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

License booked at Krugersdorp for Friday, 3 day lead time there!! I'm so chuffed! Won't regret this. Makes things easier with insurance and you can legally carry a pillion.

But, in the process of exiting my parking at home this morning, I introduced the car's backside to a tree. R17K is the damage quoted. That sucks. I hit a tree 2 months ago at less than 30km/h, and only got my car back now Tuesday. R70k... Airbag didn't even go off!

I don't plan on riding without sufficient gear. My body is a temple :P Your body will thank you in the event of an off. And your family too.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome welcome.

But, in the process of exiting my parking at home this morning, I introduced the car's backside to a tree. R17K is the damage quoted.
    When you are done with getting the bike stuff, also invest in an Isuzu. The wife killed a tree at the office (Dented my poor Frontier's front bumper a bit) last year and I tapped a tupperware Opel (Cracked a plastic guard on the Frontiers rear bumper) and cost the insurance over R56 000 in damages to the Opel. Will do my R2000 repair when they start to bother me...

On a more bike oriented note: Sort full TB membership out before buying gear. If you find the best price at one of our supporting suppliers you would get some discount which will more than make up for the TB membership fee....Dont know why no one mentioned this...I must be uber stingy....
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Welcome welcome.

When you are done with getting the bike stuff, also invest in an Isuzu. The wife killed a tree at the office (Dented my poor Frontier's front bumper a bit) last year and I tapped a tupperware Opel (Cracked a plastic guard on the Frontiers rear bumper) and cost the insurance over R56 000 in damages to the Opel. Will do my R2000 repair when they start to bother me...

On a more bike oriented note: Sort full TB membership out before buying gear. If you find the best price at one of our supporting suppliers you would get some discount which will more than make up for the TB membership fee....Dont know why no one mentioned this...I must be uber stingy....
    +1

There's a special running where you buy TB Dogtags, and get free membership for it, too...
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Kawa ZX6R 636
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
    KM
    Welcome fellow member from the Wild West!

That username sounds familiar, Carbonite perhaps, or SAGAMER?

The 390 Duke is an awesome bike. Very nice bike for a beginner.