Thread: Anyone have a kitten they do not want or want to sell.

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Anyone have a kitten they do not want or want to sell.

Afternoon all,

I am looking for another cat. Here is my sad tale of woe!

We moved onto a plot in Loch Vaal a few months ago, the plot had been empty for 3 years.

When we arrived we had 16 feral cats and their litters, we got rid of the feral cats when they decided they owned the house and we were mere servants to them.

We were advised to get a cat to prevent the feral cats from moving back into the house, which we did, we got a rescue cat.

My daughter, her small family and their cat, Grey a Russian Blue lived on the plot for 7 months and Grey kept all the feral cats away, now my daughter, her small family and cat have moved into their own place, with Grey gone, the feral cats are back, driving the chi-chi's, let us not even mention ThnAir - into this discussion - into overdrive.

I am looking for a tom cat, must be a large breed as in large in size cat, as our rescue, Dess, was badly hurt when we rescued her and her idea of chasing away unfriendly cats is about as much as chasing her blanket around her bed!

So if anyone has a kitten that meets the above, please let me know. Hereafter I will try the various rescue organisations again and with luck find a cat that has not been as badly abused as Dess was.

Thanks all.
    I've got an great ambition to die of exhaution rather than boredom! Thomas Carlyle. And I soooo agree with him

My real account is under AMZ FJTillDeath's Avatar
    Bike
    Hyosung GT650S
    Region
    Eastern Cape

I don't have a kitten to donate and I am too far anyway, but I am going to comment that I am extremely jelly of the Russian blue. My most favourite breed of cat that I one day hope to own.

I don't know if you have had a visit to any of the local SPCAs or other rescue homes by you - but I would suggest it. I would suggest it because most of those animals never get to see the inside of a home. Adult cats especially.I know they don't necessarily have pure breds, but you will be able t find a big cat there. Of the few cats I have ever adopted from animal shelters and the SPCA all have been the most lovable and territory guarding I have known.

If you get from the SPCA the neutering and vaccinations should also already be covered.

Whatever you get, please post up piccies. And if people complain saying this is a bike forum just put the cat on a bike
    Life on 2 wheels is so much better

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by FJTillDeath View Post
    I don't have a kitten to donate and I am too far anyway, but I am going to comment that I am extremely jelly of the Russian blue. My most favourite breed of cat that I one day hope to own.

I don't know if you have had a visit to any of the local SPCAs or other rescue homes by you - but I would suggest it. I would suggest it because most of those animals never get to see the inside of a home. Adult cats especially.I know they don't necessarily have pure breds, but you will be able t find a big cat there. Of the few cats I have ever adopted from animal shelters and the SPCA all have been the most lovable and territory guarding I have known.

If you get from the SPCA the neutering and vaccinations should also already be covered.

Whatever you get, please post up piccies. And if people complain saying this is a bike forum just put the cat on a bike
    +100

We have 3 pavement specials and 1 maine coon. All 4 are different and adorable, and very loved. However, the coon is the biggest of them all (one of the largest breeds in the world), but no breeder in SA will sell you one if you are going to keep it as a farm pet...

Get an adult male from a local shelter. Be careful when you introduce him to your current one. Watch the "my cat from hell" videos by Jackson Galaxy on youtube for some initial introduction advice, and I don't think you would have any problems.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by FJTillDeath View Post

Hi,

For the past 3 weeks I have tried the various cat rehoming / rescue services, let me tell you for people who want to have a pet go to a forever home, they seriously need to check the way they treat prospective new forever home owners. We are not all cat abusers! I called another cat rehoming service yesterday and when I was told that female cats will only have kittens end August beginning September and I replied I did not know that as I know very little about cats, her response was - so why do you want a cat then. Oh, okay. That call was ended and her details deleted, she can now beg on FB for a forever home for her cats / kittens/ donations to sponsor a cat.

We own 6 pedigree dogs, and an entire menagerie so affording the necessary care for said pets is not an issue, however, we are dog lovers, yes we have a cat and have become rather fond of our very strange cat, so us accepting cats as an addition to said menagerie is growing on us.

ThnAir has said that if I do not come right with going the adoption / rehoming route, I can buy a pedigree cat. Which from the attitude of the adoption / rehoming organizations appears the route I will be following.

I am going to go to the SPCA in Vereening and Vanderbijlpark tomorrow and see what I can find, if I find nothing, buying a cat from a breeder will be my next port of call.

First choice a Russian Blue, second choice a Maine Coon. Will post piccie of said new addition as soon as I get him, even place him on my most beautiful bike!
    I've got an great ambition to die of exhaution rather than boredom! Thomas Carlyle. And I soooo agree with him

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    +100

We have 3 pavement specials and 1 maine coon. All 4 are different and adorable, and very loved. However, the coon is the biggest of them all (one of the largest breeds in the world), but no breeder in SA will sell you one if you are going to keep it as a farm pet...

Get an adult male from a local shelter. Be careful when you introduce him to your current one. Watch the "my cat from hell" videos by Jackson Galaxy on youtube for some initial introduction advice, and I don't think you would have any problems.
    No, do not think we want the cat as farm pet, that is not the intention at all, but we also cannot have the feral cats taking over the house again, and as true as anything now that Grey has moved with Sheena and her family, we have 6 feral cats on the property again, yesterday the bravest one of the current lot was trying to get into the house via the front door, nogal!

Our rescue was badly mauled - she is getting more domesticated, but prefers the safety of her bed to showing her presence when the other cats are about.

I do not think it is fair on our rescue for me now to give her away just because she is too afraid to go outside when the feral cats are about so the solution is to get another cat that will be more territorial and hence the need for another cat, not a farm pet. I have many of those already

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Sadly I have had the same experience from SPCA over the past 20 years. I now actively assist the Lab Rescue folks in transporting Labs to Kzn when needed.

@Spirit, I fear the poor service they show is a reflection of themselves being in a position of 'responsibility'. But sadly they let emotion get in the way.

I now 'rescue' or rehome directly from the previous home if needed and not via SPCA etc.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    First choice a Russian Blue, second choice a Maine Coon. Will post piccie of said new addition as soon as I get him, even place him on my most beautiful bike!
    I know some of the Maine Coon (and some other cat breed) people in SA (don't ask how, I just do). They are a funny group of people. They wouldn't care for having one of their purebred pride and joy kittens as a cat to keep ferals away... I would be surprised if you go get a purebred.

Maine coons are generally larger than Russian Blues, BUT they are called the "gentle giants" for a reason. They think they are smaller than yorkies... RB's are generally gentle as well, and shy. I honestly think, if you want to get a cat to keep ferals away, find one where there was African Wildcat in it's recent ancestry. The ideal solution would have been a Savannah cat - a cross breed between a domestic cat and a serval. They are VERY large, and pretty... Unfortunately illegal in SA
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    Sadly I have had the same experience from SPCA over the past 20 years. I now actively assist the Lab Rescue folks in transporting Labs to Kzn when needed.

@Spirit, I fear the poor service they show is a reflection of themselves being in a position of 'responsibility'. But sadly they let emotion get in the way.

I now 'rescue' or rehome directly from the previous home if needed and not via SPCA etc.
    The thing that truly gets to me is there is this loud outcry of "Adopt don't shop" and yet when you try, you are treated like the problem not the solution to the "Adopt don't shop" policy. And because our requirement is quite specific - I have been treated like an even bigger idiot, someone said to me I must adopt a neutered feral, WTH, why on earth would I? It is because of the feral cats that I need a domesticated cat, not because I want another feral cat on the plot! The mind boggles!

The other thing I found was because we are rather specific in our requirement and not willing just to take any cat that is available, we are viewed as not serious! So at this rate we will be buying a cat and we will buy what it is we need - we will give references from the 3 breeders we have bought our dogs from, from the one breeder we purchased 4 dogs and they can vouch for our ability to look after a pet, and the "Adopt don't shop" brigade will have no-one to blame but themselves for one more pet bought from a breeder.

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I know some of the Maine Coon (and some other cat breed) people in SA (don't ask how, I just do). They are a funny group of people. They wouldn't care for having one of their purebred pride and joy kittens as a cat to keep ferals away... I would be surprised if you go get a purebred.

Maine coons are generally larger than Russian Blues, BUT they are called the "gentle giants" for a reason. They think they are smaller than yorkies... RB's are generally gentle as well, and shy. I honestly think, if you want to get a cat to keep ferals away, find one where there was African Wildcat in it's recent ancestry. The ideal solution would have been a Savannah cat - a cross breed between a domestic cat and a serval. They are VERY large, and pretty... Unfortunately illegal in SA
    I have found a Maine Coon, I have a very good friend who has bought 2 MC's from this particular breeder and he gave her a recommendation on us, and advised she can come and do a home inspection, at 6k a cat, you can bank on it, we want to know as much about her as she wants to know about us! We have been put onto the waiting list - as the litter is yet to be born, so we will wait and see.

I am leaning more towards the RB than the MC, so if I do not find what I need tomorrow at the SPCA's I will find a RB breeder and quite simply buy one from the breeder.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I have found a Maine Coon, I have a very good friend who has bought 2 MC's from this particular breeder and he gave her a recommendation on us, and advised she can come and do a home inspection, at 6k a cat, you can bank on it, we want to know as much about her as she wants to know about us! We have been put onto the waiting list - as the litter is yet to be born, so we will wait and see.

I am leaning more towards the RB than the MC, so if I do not find what I need tomorrow at the SPCA's I will find a RB breeder and quite simply buy one from the breeder.
    Good to hear. If you know someone that can put in a good word for you at the breeder, it makes it so much easier. I honestly don't have experience with the RB, except having photographed a few at a cat show some time ago. Beautiful animals, but then I like all animals, except creepy crawlies, Pugs and Persian cats...

I hope you find what you need. And I agree with your frustration that the "Adopt-don't-shop" group are causing a lot of their own issues.

*edit for typo
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Shirley, why not just go on the sticky tree and get a moggie? Lots of people looking for homes for cats! Our little rescue is the fiercest little bugger I have ever encountered, and my rather sedate female can now rest peacefully while he keeps all the other cats away! Down side, he has a habit of chewing on her now and again! But seriously, just get a kitten off gumtree. I have found that the various shelters all have the same mentality, they all want us to pay them to take in the animals no one wants, and then treat us like pooh when we do try!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa 1 View Post
    Hi Shirley, why not just go on the sticky tree and get a moggie? Lots of people looking for homes for cats! Our little rescue is the fiercest little bugger I have ever encountered, and my rather sedate female can now rest peacefully while he keeps all the other cats away! Down side, he has a habit of chewing on her now and again! But seriously, just get a kitten off gumtree. I have found that the various shelters all have the same mentality, they all want us to pay them to take in the animals no one wants, and then treat us like pooh when we do try!
    Hi,

Went that route too, but am specifically looking for a large cat and there is just no-way I will know if the cat will grow into a large cat.

Coachman has given me a number of a lady who works at Claw, I have called her and she will revert back to me tomorrow, so I will wait and see.

S

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

@Colin, cannot open your Pm, can you call or sms me, 0 eight 2 3 one 7 4966

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

@Colin, cannot open your Pm, can you call or sms me, 0 eight 2 3 one 7 4966
    Sent SMS

Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Why a cat?
    Get a terrier. My Scotty is good at keeping everything away, cats, birds, shadows.
    Took him to a farm once and he got rid of all the cats that called the farm home and was super proud about catching the prize winning rooster as well (lucky only lost some features and it's dignity). Had to stop him from taking on some mother goats, think he would have come in 2nd place on that one.

*He is actually a big softy, but if something runs he chases*

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DeTour View Post
    Why a cat?
    Get a terrier. My Scotty is good at keeping everything away, cats, birds, shadows.
    Took him to a farm once and he got rid of all the cats that called the farm home and was super proud about catching the prize winning rooster as well (lucky only lost some features and it's dignity). Had to stop him from taking on some mother goats, think he would have come in 2nd place on that one.

*He is actually a big softy, but if something runs he chases*
    Hi,

I own 4 Chihuahuas and they hate the feral cats, that is not the problem, the problem is that the feral cats up until 10 months ago had the run of the plot and the house and that is a situation that cannot start again. Hence the need for another cat.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6 #2
    Region
    Gauteng

Have suitable kittens, drop me a PM?

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng