Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learners licence booking

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Learners licence booking

Hi guys, I am a new rider and TB user and I hope someone can give me advice. I made a booking to do my learners test but somehow I got a date only in September? Afterwards I found out that I can get a much earlier date if I do it with a driving school, but first I need to cancel my existing booking. When I went to the testing centre I was told that I can't cancel it and will have to wait for the date to pass before I can make another appointment. Do I really have to wait another two months or are they deceiving me?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Why the rush? Gives you 2 months to perfect K53.
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Bike
    Honda CB1000R
    Region
    Western Cape

He can't ride without a learners.............
    The way in which we live our lives presents to others a picture by which we are perceived.......

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

Yes, I won't be able to get insurance either. This is really frustrating.

My real account is under AMZ FJTillDeath's Avatar
    Bike
    Hyosung GT650S
    Region
    Eastern Cape

I don't know how many test facilities you have there where you are. Here in East London there are 3. One takes about 2 months to book, the other between 2 and 3 weeks and the last takes up to a week at most sometimes.

See how many facilities are nearby or at least within 50km. And turn around times for each. Phone in and ask if you booked tomorrow what the soonest time would be. Write off what you paid the first center , cancel your booking altogether and book at the new center that has the sooner date. You can't make multiple bookings.

It can be frustrating having to wait I know, but you definitely don't want to be involved in any kind of accident without a license or insurance. This is why it is too much to risk riding without one. Fines for not having a license I think are R1500 but that's nothing on having to pay damages for another persons car

Edit. Just read now that they said you can't cancel which is strange. You can cancel but you cannot get a refund. Perhaps phone a higher person in the department and explain that you simply want to cancel without a refund. They may have systems and checks in place, but every system has an override. Either way, scout out the local centers and make a better booking. As it gets later in the year there are more people booking as more people have become of age/ are able to make a booking
    Life on 2 wheels is so much better

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by FJTillDeath View Post
    I don't know how many test facilities you have there where you are. Here in East London there are 3. One takes about 2 months to book, the other between 2 and 3 weeks and the last takes up to a week at most sometimes.

See how many facilities are nearby or at least within 50km. And turn around times for each. Phone in and ask if you booked tomorrow what the soonest time would be. Write off what you paid the first center , cancel your booking altogether and book at the new center that has the sooner date. You can't make multiple bookings.

It can be frustrating having to wait I know, but you definitely don't want to be involved in any kind of accident without a license or insurance. This is why it is too much to risk riding without one. Fines for not having a license I think are R1500 but that's nothing on having to pay damages for another persons car

Edit. Just read now that they said you can't cancel which is strange. You can cancel but you cannot get a refund. Perhaps phone a higher person in the department and explain that you simply want to cancel without a refund. They may have systems and checks in place, but every system has an override. Either way, scout out the local centers and make a better booking. As it gets later in the year there are more people booking as more people have become of age/ are able to make a booking
    I went to see the person in charge of the office where I made the booking (Centurion) to ask if there is any way I can cancel my appointment. She told me that they are no longer allowed to cancel any bookings under any circumstances and my only solution is to wait until the date is past before I can make another booking. So I don't know who to call or ask for help that is higher-up?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Can't you try somewhere else? Rayton? Cullinan? Bronkhorstspruit? Kempton Park?

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Can't you try somewhere else? Rayton? Cullinan? Bronkhorstspruit? Kempton Park?
    I must cancel the booking at the same office where I made it and I can't make a booking if I already have one as it shows up on their system.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Antonie120 View Post
    I must cancel the booking at the same office where I made it and I can't make a booking if I already have one as it shows up on their system.

Seems you are a tad screwed.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Seems you are a tad screwed.
    I am also starting to get that impression. I also feel that there is a lack of motivation to help me. It is starting to become increasingly difficult to be a law abiding citizen.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by repsol911 View Post
    He can't ride without a learners.............
    Ooops, thought it was full licence. Ja, you don't wanna be dodging Metro - not ayoba.

Just go to another centre, don't tell you have booked somewhere else, and see what happens. ARTO ain't as smart as we are made to believe it is. Trust me, I get all sorts of mail, yet I renew my various vehicle licenses without ever having to pay for "infringements" that I don't ever receiving a registered summons for.
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Ooops, thought it was full licence. Ja, you don't wanna be dodging Metro - not ayoba.

Just go to another centre, don't tell you have booked somewhere else, and see what happens. ARTO ain't as smart as we are made to believe it is. Trust me, I get all sorts of mail, yet I renew my various vehicle licenses without ever having to pay for "infringements" that I don't ever receiving a registered summons for.
    That would be because a license can only be held back after the actual court date was missed by you. They cannot force you to pay an admission of guilt fine prior to your constitutional right to defend yourself in court was exercised, or ignored by you. That being said, it may be worth trying another centre, but then again, who wants to stand in a 2 hour line only to find that the computer actually does work?

Just a general Hooligan
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Antonie120 View Post
    I am also starting to get that impression. I also feel that there is a lack of motivation to help me. It is starting to become increasingly difficult to be a law abiding citizen.

Welcome to Gauteng. Booked my learners last year beginning of November to write in December. The government officials striked on the day we had to write....so we had to re-book and re-pay for the next test...oops...e-sorry. that is how it works. Eventually got it end of Jan. Bookings in general in Gauteng takes 6 - 8 weeks, depending on the station and region you book.

Good luck. Be patient.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

My brother is living in the Northern Cape and he got helped alot quicker than me...
    Dissapointing

Just a general Hooligan
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Yip, unfortunately this is how it works up here. I have heard that some of the classes are only 50% booked. How true this is I don't know.

My class was about 75% full when we wrote. Whether it was booked like that or people did not pitch, I would not know.

I made my 1st booking at Randburg...6-weeks from booking to exam.....2nd booking at Watloo.....with driving school.....6 weeks from booking to exam.....

Just a general Hooligan
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Also the time it co-insides with school terms and exams/holidays it might add to the wait period. This time of year it starts getting busy with grade 11/12's making their bookings

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

The worst of all is the fact that I made the booking a little over a month ago.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I went through the same pain.

Booked at Centurion and got a 2 month waiting period. Went through to Krugersdorp and could get a booking within 2 weeks. But could not cancel so had to wait it out. Still failed

If in the Gauteng area I would recommend Krugersdorp. Managed to book with 2 days notice.

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

I took my daughter to Balfour from Centurion for her drivers license.

We got booked in for 2 weeks later and she passed her test first time there after having a lot of crap from testers around the Pretoria area (Midrand, Cullinan and Rayton)
    Dunslop lover....

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBR125
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyone else got any advice/suggestions?