Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobber Build and Public Participation

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Default Bobber Build and Public Participation

Short story long.

A while back over a holiday break, the wife and I had a go at modding her VL250... The task went fairly well, fun was had by all, but we overshot our time estimate and had to get the bike back on the road leaving some ideas unrealised.

Thereafter I bought another VL to tinker with to my hearts content, that was over a year ago and still haven't gotten around to doing anything meaningful with it.

I sketched up a few ideas and thought I'd put them out there, see which ones people dislike the least

Cry havoc and let the exhaust wrapping commence

The Orignal.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Western Cape

No. 73 & Orange profiles appeal to me. Nice task ahead.

My real account is under AMZ FJTillDeath's Avatar
    Bike
    Hyosung GT650S
    Region
    Eastern Cape

I think the orange one just above the blue one is quite pleasing
    Life on 2 wheels is so much better

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Region
    Western Cape

Nr 2

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

No. 3

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

I prefer 1. Kind of a cafe racer look. Just not a fan of yellow.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

None of your proposals have tail lights, number plates, rear flickers or mirrors, all of which will dramatically change the profiles of the proposed final result.

All your proposals have retained the feet forward riding position which is an anathema to a cafe racer.
    Feet forward also relies on a large, heavily padded saddle because you can't use your legs to raise your butt from the saddle. 1. and 3. will be agony.

You have also just conveniently deleted the rear drum brake and its associated visible and unsightly mechanical linkages.

2. and 3. will require remaking the swingarm and fabbing suspension linkages from scratch. The wheelbase is changed. The new suspension geometry will completely change the handling of the bike in unpredictable ways. Unless you really know what you're doing, suspension is not a styling exercise.

2. and 3. will have to forego the convenience of a battery, fusebox, rectifier/regulator etc.

The original looks right, will be the most practical, and won't cost you money and truly staggering amounts of your productive time.

I do enjoy your sketch ups though. Nice work.

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Hey all.

Thanks for the response.

Amongst all those I have asked for input #1 is the clear leader, it's also grown on me more than the others.

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Hey Carbon, to address your points

None of your proposals have tail lights, number plates, rear flickers or mirrors, all of which will dramatically change the profiles of the proposed final result.

Tail light and plate will be on a left hand side mount, for indicators, more than likely I'll fabricate my own that I'll integrate into the body work, or flush mount under the seats...or I might see something else I like and go for that, doubtful the impact would be huge.

All your proposals have retained the feet forward riding position which is an anathema to a cafe racer. Feet forward also relies on a large, heavily padded saddle because you can't use your legs to raise your butt from the saddle. 1. and 3. will be agony.

yup, a feet forward cafe racer, some will hate it..... While the current seat looks rather thick, it only has about 7cm deep, I shaved it down to 4cm on a previous build, still comfy.... Ergonomics are one area where no amount of drawing or planning will ensure you get it perfect first time, you always need a little on bike experimenting

You have also just conveniently deleted the rear drum brake and its associated visible and unsightly mechanical linkages.

These are just sketches, not blueprints

2. and 3. will require remaking the swingarm and fabbing suspension linkages from scratch. The wheelbase is changed. The new suspension geometry will completely change the handling of the bike in unpredictable ways. Unless you really know what you're doing, suspension is not a styling exercise.
    Suspension is not the dark arts, there is plenty of literature, tools and community out there to help you get this right. While the wheel base will remain the same, should I go the monoshock route, calculating the required shock specs is quite straight forward.

My main concern is without the dual shocks to brace the swingarm it will be prone to flexing and the lateral load will increase quite a bit putting stress on the swingarm joint, either reinforcing or rebuilding is required, neither of which I see a problem with. Also manufacturers have to design with rider and pillion weight in mind, I'd just be considering the rider so I have more leeway

"suspension is not a styling exercise" yes, it totally can be...you still have to get it right tho'.

2. and 3. will have to forego the convenience of a battery, fusebox, rectifier/regulator etc.
    Best I install some pedals then ... There is quite a large airbox that is mounted under the tank, the void left by removing the airbox is sufficient to house the electrics, I will have to ditch the wet cell and go Li for the battery, but I'd do that in any case.

The original looks right, will be the most practical, and won't cost you money and truly staggering amounts of your productive time.
    On the contrary this project is intended to use staggering amounts of my unproductive time

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Not related to this project, but still inline with bike modding.

Here are a few headlight designs I mocked for another VL250, some weren't serious at all, just have a bit of a play with styling.

The though process was to design a single element and extrapolate that design through the rest of the bike.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Brendan, on the rear brake subject, you can get a rear brake kit in the states where the sprocket is also the disc, and the calliper then sits over the chain. Very neat and tidy.
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

Wow. I assume you do design work professionally? The quality of these are outstanding to me.
    I am curious. How do you fabricate the more detailed examples? It must take a very long time?

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Goosiwe View Post
    On the contrary this project is intended to use staggering amounts of my unproductive time
    Great! I was hoping you were going to promise that. Please keep this thread updated with your actual in-the-metal progress.

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa 1 View Post
    Brendan, on the rear brake subject, you can get a rear brake kit in the states where the sprocket is also the disc, and the calliper then sits over the chain. Very neat and tidy.
    Hey Mark.

The bike will be keeping the standard drum brake, the drawing just doesn't reflect that.

The disc brake sprocket is an interesting idea, I'd be quite concerned about wrapping an oily chain around my brake rotor ... worth some investigation.

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by bksrdr View Post
    Wow. I assume you do design work professionally?
    Sort of, my salaried work is art based, the technical design work is relegated to personal work and freelance jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bksrdr View Post
    The quality of these are outstanding to me. I am curious. How do you fabricate the more detailed examples? It must take a very long time?
    Design time can vary, but I wouldn't say more than 4 hrs. The parts are 3D printed, so time varies depending on what material you require and if you choose to outsource. For most decorative parts I print them up on a consumer grade printer using either ABS, ABS +carbon fibre, poly-carbonate or nylon and print times haven't gone above 12hrs. The cost is of filament is about R1 per/m and you can expect to use between 20-50m. Finishing is another story, filling, sanding and paint takes an eternity, or at least that's how long it feels.

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Great! I was hoping you were going to promise that. Please keep this thread updated with your actual in-the-metal progress.
    Will do indeed.

First pic.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Brendan, I saw that disc sprocket set up on a couple of bikes that OCC built on the series American Chopper, I had not actually thought of the "oily chain" part of it though!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Duke 390 - UAE
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Interested to see how it all progresses

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

I also like number 1, but the whitewalls on no 2 are very sweet.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, good luck!
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    I also like number 1, but the whitewalls on no 2 are very sweet.
    I have a set of portawall flappers stored somewhere, best I dig them out

This bike has been deregistered so there are a few hoops to jump through to get it back on the road. The best way to ensure it passes is not only to make sure everything works, but that it is as close to original as possible.

The chilly weather forced me to play indoors, so I spitballed some design ideas.

Airfilter pods.