Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Little Bakkie

  1. #1
    Hardcore Biker Warrenpridgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,190

    Default Little Bakkie

    Sup peeps...

    I'm looking for a small bakkie. Something like a Corsa Bakkie or Chevrolet Utility etc.
    Looking for newer than 2010 and with under 100 000km on it.

    Pref the Bryanston/JHB (East, west)/Vaal area.

    Anyone selling one? or does anyone have an uncles cousins aunt selling one?
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

  2. #2
    I'm not here

    AlexJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenpridgeon View Post
    Sup peeps...

    I'm looking for a small bakkie. Something like a Corsa Bakkie or Chevrolet Utility etc.
    Looking for newer than 2010 and with under 100 000km on it.

    Pref the Bryanston/JHB (East, west)/Vaal area.

    Anyone selling one? or does anyone have an uncles cousins aunt selling one?
    I can tell you they going to expensive unless you got time to look, but if you find one over 100k they normal go very well for at least another 200k km.

  3. #3
    Hardcore Biker Warrenpridgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexj View Post
    I can tell you they going to expensive unless you got time to look, but if you find one over 100k they normal go very well for at least another 200k km.
    What do you class as expensive? Just so I have a ballpark figure.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

  4. #4
    I'm not here

    AlexJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenpridgeon View Post
    What do you class as expensive? Just so I have a ballpark figure.
    Probably around 90 to 100k still,
    We got our work one with 156 on the clock, we got that for 70..... so ja

  5. #5
    Adventure Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    I'm living in a vehicle workshop... auto electrical. My brother made a list of type of vehicles that comes in most with electrical and obscure problems.

    No1 on the list Hyundai. No2 on the list... Corsa.

    Fuel injection on the Corsa seems to be the biggest issue. I think you should look at a better deal looking at the little Bantam witch also have a better resale value than the Corsa. Bantam is also a popular choice for small commercial vehicles. Just my penny's worth...

  6. #6
    Hardcore Biker Warrenpridgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tour Biker View Post
    I'm living in a vehicle workshop... auto electrical. My brother made a list of type of vehicles that comes in most with electrical and obscure problems.

    No1 on the list Hyundai. No2 on the list... Corsa.

    Fuel injection on the Corsa seems to be the biggest issue. I think you should look at a better deal looking at the little Bantam witch also have a better resale value than the Corsa. Bantam is also a popular choice for small commercial vehicles. Just my penny's worth...
    When you say "Corsa" do you include the newer Chevrolet Utility?
    I'll check out the bantams also.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

  7. #7
    Adventure Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenpridgeon View Post
    When you say "Corsa" do you include the newer Chevrolet Utility?
    I'll check out the bantams also.
    There was only one of the "newer" ones that arrived on a trailer and left on a trailer. (It has like a build in" step on the sides behind the cab.) The agents had to connect it to a computer after a faulty immobilizer. I suppose its all by what one likes. There is a "review" by car Mag online comparing the Corsa, Bantam, and Nissan I think. Same class anyway.

    The biggest thing is they do the comparison tests with new vehicles. You should find that reading interesting.

    On the subject have a look at customer and complaints reviews, agents, spares and service cost.

  8. #8
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    I've had a Bantam bakkie for so long I can't remember how old it is. Paid R70k for it new (bottom of the range, no aircon, 1300 etc.)

    I use it every day and wouldn't be without it. It's even rescued a few superbikes stranded far from home. Canopy off - 4 bolts.

    When I've needed parts for it they've been cheap.

    I cannot say anything bad about the Corsa, when they were being sold side by side the Corsa actually sold better. (Deeper cab, lockable tailgate.)

  9. #9
    I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    I had a 2006 Opel Corsa Utility 1.4i. Had it for years (21st birthday gift, had 12 000km on at the time), and had a lot of fun with it. It was a monster when needing to be, and it was classy when chatting up my girlfriend (now wife...). However, being a student in Potchefstroom I mostly walked wherever I needed to be, or took the bicycle, which saved a lot of kms. However, at around 60k (after just more than a year of high km commuting in GP) I started picking up trouble with the engine, such as broken valve springs etc. Apparently I was a little heavy on the engine. I traded it in. Still miss the little thing to this day...

    Anyway, traded it in for my current cage, 2012 Renault Sandero Stepway 1.6, which has the same under carriage, engine, dashboard, etc. as the then Nissan NP200 (I think the Sandero has bigger wheels fitted, but I'm not sure). As far as I know, the only difference is the bodywork. Really enjoy the this one, too. It just had the 105k service done when I lost that low-speed-battle-with-the-tree-that-cost-the-insurance-70k. If the NP200 is the same as my Sandero, you probably won't regret it. Fuel consumption could be a little better (currently avg 100km/8.2l), but it is cheap to maintain and so far very reliable. It is made to crumple in the event of a prang, so if I was going 10km/h faster it may well have been a write-off, but it is back and I have no issues (other than needing to refill the aircon gas, most likely due to the accident).

    Hope this helps.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

  10. #10
    Biker
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Bike
    Jonway Master 250
    Region
    North West
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Don't ignore the Fiat Strada X Space, it has extra space behind the seats, it has excellent ground clearance and drives great. I had a NP200 1.6 Nissan, biggest waste of time, an absolute donkey, N P stands for NO POWER. I have a 2008 1.2 Fiat Uno with 253 560km and have never had any problems, I have even towed some seriously heavy trailers from Potch to the South Coast.

  11. #11
    I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapcat View Post
    Don't ignore the Fiat Strada X Space, it has extra space behind the seats, it has excellent ground clearance and drives great. I had a NP200 1.6 Nissan, biggest waste of time, an absolute donkey, N P stands for NO POWER. I have a 2008 1.2 Fiat Uno with 253 560km and have never had any problems, I have even towed some seriously heavy trailers from Potch to the South Coast.
    +1 for the space. Can't speak for the Fiat Strada, but my Corsa also had that little bit of space behind the seats. VERY usefull if you want to transport your bazoo... Uh... I mean... Bass guitar to and from gigs... I even once had my sister in law back there with my wife in the passenger seat and me driving (Ok, she is very small), just moved the passenger seat forward.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

  12. #12
    Hooligan Biker SA Wingrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    GL 1800 Goldwing
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Good Afternoon,

    I have a 2011 Nissan NP200 with +- 28 000 genuine km on the clock with aircon.
    I do not want to sell, but then I am not married to the bakkie so Make me a offer . Regards
    Johan

  13. #13
    Evil Biker Scum
    hei ew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jhb
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,518

    Default

    i have a little nissan 1400.. it's my rainy day toy. i mean car...

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Hardcore Biker Warrenpridgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SA Wingrider View Post
    Good Afternoon,

    I have a 2011 Nissan NP200 with +- 28 000 genuine km on the clock with aircon.
    I do not want to sell, but then I am not married to the bakkie so Make me a offer . Regards
    Johan
    Hi, sending you a PM.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

  15. #15
    Hardcore Biker Warrenpridgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,190

    Default

    The search continues. I might start visiting some dealers... but I'm wary.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

  16. #16
    Hardcore Biker dave31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Leicester England
    Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    WP i went the private route looking for a car for my daughter and it was an eye-opener of note. Way too many crooks and scammers out there trying to sell previously written off vehicles as "never been in an accident" so I decided to go the franchised dealer route for peace of mind. I wasnt sorry..

    Seems like no one has mentioned the Ford/ Mazda half ton or the VW Caddy bakkie? I had a Bantam 1.6i and was pretty comfortable. Was the fastest towing my 2 bike trailer but could do 120 on a flat road.
    Dunslop lover....

  17. #17
    Adventure Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    WP i went the private route looking for a car for my daughter and it was an eye-opener of note. Way too many crooks and scammers out there trying to sell previously written off vehicles as "never been in an accident" so I decided to go the franchised dealer route for peace of mind. I wasnt sorry..

    Seems like no one has mentioned the Ford/ Mazda half ton or the VW Caddy bakkie? I had a Bantam 1.6i and was pretty comfortable. Was the fastest towing my 2 bike trailer but could do 120 on a flat road.
    We have a VW Caddy here for a workshop bakkie. Looking at my blog, you'll see my bike on when we fetched it in CT. It's a real tough work horse... but not very economical stopping at the fuel pump. The biggest disadvantage is the 4 speed gearbox on most models except one. The gear ratio is low, and at 60 km/h already in top gear. Spares are cheap and a easy bakkie to maintain with lots of load area.

    Bantam is basically Mazda and as far as economy, the better option in small bakkie. The next best bakkie option after the small ones is to rather then go for the diesel Isuzu or something of the like. More economical than the Caddy.

  18. #18
    Whippersnapper dc_grimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    Its not quite what you are looking for but check here:
    http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthr...4-Sport-R69000
    "Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - They're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •