Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Lane splitting questions

  1. #41
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    A real warrior punches bare-knuckled. But a real warrior also does not fight outside the sanctioned ring, as he would get kicked out of his martial arts school...
    you speak wisdom

  2. #42
    I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfLifeZA View Post
    you speak wisdom
    Yeah... Fortunately I always listen to the instructor.

    But I digress...

    Some time ago there were regular what TB called "Noob commuter runs", where an experienced rider would facilitate a session to a few new commuters in traffic on a Saturday morning, showing them how and where and what the principles of safety-for-commuting is. I wonder if this is still going on?
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

  3. #43
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Yeah... Fortunately I always listen to the instructor.

    But I digress...

    Some time ago there were regular what TB called "Noob commuter runs", where an experienced rider would facilitate a session to a few new commuters in traffic on a Saturday morning, showing them how and where and what the principles of safety-for-commuting is. I wonder if this is still going on?
    Something like that would be great. I do have one guy at work that I am going to ride to work with, but a ride with a TB person would be cool!

  4. #44
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfLifeZA View Post
    Thanks!
    I'm in Ferndale and I commute to Fourways so its not a long ride.
    But I'd dig to go for a weekend ride sometime!
    What's your current commute route and time?
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  5. #45
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    What's your current commute route and time?
    I usually go along Bryanston drive then along William Nicol. I leave hone at 7:20

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  6. #46
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Whatever you do, just look out for the people who thought that they were turning but decided they actually need to go straight at the last femtosecond, and for the others who do it the other way around

  7. #47
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Whatever you do, just look out for the people who thought that they were turning but decided they actually need to go straight at the last femtosecond, and for the others who do it the other way around
    I've seen a few of those already!

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  8. #48
    Evil Biker Scum
    hei ew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jhb
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    i do the last bit of commute on William Nicole off the highway to Sloane street , it's not easy .. people are desperate to get to the left or right lanes.
    best is to keep calm

    Quite an adventure riding that piece.. there are bikers moving along both sides , with 3 lanes of cars also wanting to change lanes , not including the taxi's wanting to stop and drop off and just merge again without checking .

  9. #49
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post
    i do the last bit of commute on William Nicole off the highway to Sloane street , it's not easy .. people are desperate to get to the left or right lanes.
    best is to keep calm

    Quite an adventure riding that piece.. there are bikers moving along both sides , with 3 lanes of cars also wanting to change lanes , not including the taxi's wanting to stop and drop off and just merge again without checking .
    Tell me about it! It's the only part of my ride that isn't fun. But I take it slow and carefully

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  10. #50
    Evil Biker Scum
    hei ew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jhb
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
    you never ever kick at a mirror, one uses the open hand in a downward motion if one were so inclined
    i have been told to use the upward movement as it is more expressive , lovely to see as the glass shutters and the mirror flies into the sky with the shimmering of glass
    like a beautiful sunset over the sea ... giving the rider a huge feeling of peace and calm ...

  11. #51
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post
    i have been told to use the upward movement as it is more expressive , lovely to see as the glass shutters and the mirror flies into the sky with the shimmering of glass
    like a beautiful sunset over the sea ... giving the rider a huge feeling of peace and calm ...
    I'll try remember that! ;)

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  12. #52
    Hooligan Biker DouglasN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Bike
    Ex Triumph Tiger 1050/ Triumph Tiger 800 XC
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    497

    Default

    not sure how to take the advice on removing mirrors, some seems to be tongue in cheek and others, well, you will ultimately reap the rewards and it won't be pleasant. The more vehicles damaged the more the other motorists will turn against the people on bikes.

    Personally, my advice is not to damage a mirror at all, if you are splitting at the recommended speeds, in an extreme case, you can neatly fold the mirror in showing your displeasure but not doing any permanent damage. rather just give a thumbs down , not the middle finger, it's a lot less aggressive and can get the people thinking. ( I have folded 3 mirrors in 3 years)

    I commute on a daily basis, about 11km one way, mostly suburban main roads and sometimes I take the highway, one day a week I can end up doing about 100km or more, today I went Benoni, Pomona, Chloorkop, Kyalami, Woodmead, Modderfontein, Edenvale, Benoni and from Kyalami it was all peak traffic, for a few days last year I had to do a double run every morning and evening for 4 days, benoni to middle of Bryanston and back to benoni, every morning and every evening. Prior to this I commuted for years, walkerville to rivonia, randburg to Bedfordview, etc, I very very seldom, have a "close" encounter, and when I do, I can link it to something I did, or rather, didn't do.

    I have been in the traffic like a lot of the members here, all times of the day and all types of weather, and the 2 things that stand out for me is respect the other road users and slow down. There is no rush, you will get there.

    Last week I commuted from Boksburg to Rooihuiskraal in the evening traffic, on the R21 just after the airport, heading Pomana way, while I was doing 125km/h in the lane, in relatively busy flowing traffic, in the dark, I had a guy come past splitting at a good 140km/h......

    During the rain a little while back, on a sunday afternoon, 1 pm-ish on the N1 from woodmead towards Allendale, raining, enough traffic to through up spray, doing just over 100, flowing with the traffic, I had a guy on a super come blitzing past, chin on the tank, I reckon 160 would be at the slow end f what he was doing.

    These are just 2 examples of what I see motorcyclists doing every day, I also often see them jumping traffic lights & stop streets.

    Yes , we are our own worst enemy.

  13. #53
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    not sure how to take the advice on removing mirrors, some seems to be tongue in cheek and others, well, you will ultimately reap the rewards and it won't be pleasant. The more vehicles damaged the more the other motorists will turn against the people on bikes.

    Personally, my advice is not to damage a mirror at all, if you are splitting at the recommended speeds, in an extreme case, you can neatly fold the mirror in showing your displeasure but not doing any permanent damage. rather just give a thumbs down , not the middle finger, it's a lot less aggressive and can get the people thinking. ( I have folded 3 mirrors in 3 years)

    I commute on a daily basis, about 11km one way, mostly suburban main roads and sometimes I take the highway, one day a week I can end up doing about 100km or more, today I went Benoni, Pomona, Chloorkop, Kyalami, Woodmead, Modderfontein, Edenvale, Benoni and from Kyalami it was all peak traffic, for a few days last year I had to do a double run every morning and evening for 4 days, benoni to middle of Bryanston and back to benoni, every morning and every evening. Prior to this I commuted for years, walkerville to rivonia, randburg to Bedfordview, etc, I very very seldom, have a "close" encounter, and when I do, I can link it to something I did, or rather, didn't do.

    I have been in the traffic like a lot of the members here, all times of the day and all types of weather, and the 2 things that stand out for me is respect the other road users and slow down. There is no rush, you will get there.

    Last week I commuted from Boksburg to Rooihuiskraal in the evening traffic, on the R21 just after the airport, heading Pomana way, while I was doing 125km/h in the lane, in relatively busy flowing traffic, in the dark, I had a guy come past splitting at a good 140km/h......

    During the rain a little while back, on a sunday afternoon, 1 pm-ish on the N1 from woodmead towards Allendale, raining, enough traffic to through up spray, doing just over 100, flowing with the traffic, I had a guy on a super come blitzing past, chin on the tank, I reckon 160 would be at the slow end f what he was doing.

    These are just 2 examples of what I see motorcyclists doing every day, I also often see them jumping traffic lights & stop streets.

    Yes , we are our own worst enemy.
    I fully agree with what you've said. I took all the talk about mirrors as tongue in cheek. I won't be damaging any cars!
    Right now I am concentrating too hard on riding properly to even really show my displeasure when a car does something stupid. I rather ignore it and get ready for the next thing I need to deal with

  14. #54
    I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    not sure how to take the advice on removing mirrors, some seems to be tongue in cheek and others, well, you will ultimately reap the rewards and it won't be pleasant. The more vehicles damaged the more the other motorists will turn against the people on bikes.

    Personally, my advice is not to damage a mirror at all, if you are splitting at the recommended speeds, in an extreme case, you can neatly fold the mirror in showing your displeasure but not doing any permanent damage. rather just give a thumbs down , not the middle finger, it's a lot less aggressive and can get the people thinking
    . ( I have folded 3 mirrors in 3 years)

    I commute on a daily basis, about 11km one way, mostly suburban main roads and sometimes I take the highway, one day a week I can end up doing about 100km or more, today I went Benoni, Pomona, Chloorkop, Kyalami, Woodmead, Modderfontein, Edenvale, Benoni and from Kyalami it was all peak traffic, for a few days last year I had to do a double run every morning and evening for 4 days, benoni to middle of Bryanston and back to benoni, every morning and every evening. Prior to this I commuted for years, walkerville to rivonia, randburg to Bedfordview, etc, I very very seldom, have a "close" encounter, and when I do, I can link it to something I did, or rather, didn't do.

    I have been in the traffic like a lot of the members here, all times of the day and all types of weather, and the 2 things that stand out for me is respect the other road users and slow down. There is no rush, you will get there.

    Last week I commuted from Boksburg to Rooihuiskraal in the evening traffic, on the R21 just after the airport, heading Pomana way, while I was doing 125km/h in the lane, in relatively busy flowing traffic, in the dark, I had a guy come past splitting at a good 140km/h......

    During the rain a little while back, on a sunday afternoon, 1 pm-ish on the N1 from woodmead towards Allendale, raining, enough traffic to through up spray, doing just over 100, flowing with the traffic, I had a guy on a super come blitzing past, chin on the tank, I reckon 160 would be at the slow end f what he was doing.

    These are just 2 examples of what I see motorcyclists doing every day, I also often see them jumping traffic lights & stop streets.

    Yes , we are our own worst enemy.
    +1
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

  15. #55
    Just a general Hooligan
    SLOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Randburg / Midrand - Work
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    219

    Default

    @HalfLifeZA

    I am also riding from Ferndale/President Ridge, just going all the way to Samrand, but going the same way. Can hook up with you in the mornings, if you want to.

  16. #56
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLO@ View Post
    @HalfLifeZA

    I am also riding from Ferndale/President Ridge, just going all the way to Samrand, but going the same way. Can hook up with you in the mornings, if you want to.
    @SLO@
    Thanks very much! That would be cool! Please PM me and we can make a plan

  17. #57
    Just a general Hooligan
    SLOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Randburg / Midrand - Work
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    219

    Default

    @HalfLifeZA
    Sent PM. Don't know if it was delivered. Please check.

  18. #58
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bike
    Harley Davidson Street 750
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLO@ View Post
    @HalfLifeZA
    Sent PM. Don't know if it was delivered. Please check.

    got it and replied

    Thanks

  19. #59
    Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On Da Woes Rand
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; Sym Jet14 200; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Splitting and turning... = a tricky manoeuvre. Stops = sometimes. Circles = no. At intersections try to cross with a vehicle to shield you. Turning left I try to join the lane and turn rather than to split to the front and then shoot hard left; its also tricky if you mess up the light change timing! Enjoy.

  20. #60
    Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On Da Woes Rand
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; Sym Jet14 200; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    I now live in Tshwane. Drivers are waaay more aggressive than Joburg. If you don't move the second a light changes three cages will hoot at you. You can't pull away when the light changes because here red lights are a suggestion to stop. Maybe.
    Four cages can get thru the light after it turns red. The peeps are suicidal! My local traffic light has at least one accident every day. And that's when the light is working.

    So splitting is putty-sticks.

    Cagers here drive waaaay too close together! No gaps for braking in this traffic. It's insane.

    Splitting, on the N1 yes, but keep your speed differetial to 20 km/hr MAX.
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •