Thread: used car market

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Default used car market

Are then any honest people still out there?

My daughter was involved in an accident late last month and her little Suzuki Alto was written off. We received the payout and have since been looking for a replacement for her.

Last weekend we followed up on a number of ad's placed on Gumtree....

The first was at a house in Alberton. Took the car for a drive and felt a "twisting" when braking hard. We were alone so pulled into a shopping centre and checked it out. Showed a hint of repair work under the bonnet and in the A pillars inside the car.

Next a couple of cars in "Sandton" which turned out to be in Wynberg. Different street addresses given which turned out to be cafe's or a bottle store. One was a "dealer" trading out of a front garden. When we asked for "Nelson" the sales lady didnt know of him. When chatting to her partner all of a sudden Nelson was "on his way". While we were waiting I inspected a couple of other cars on the lot. A newish Ford Fiesta with low kms but with 3 slightly different shades of blue down the drivers side. A Polo with a rear bumper that looked like I had sprayed it with a rattle can.

Nelson pitched with a filthy car with the buttons on the steering wheel broken. The next was outside Bramley SAPS and also turned out to be a wreck.

So ditched the idea of Wynberg.

This week went to see a car in Lynnwood Ridge (nice area). Car looked good and agreed to buy it for what seemed to be a decent price. the next morning I got one of my collegues here in the building to check on the E-natis system. Car was written off in January so cancelled that deal.

Phoned for a similar car yesterday. Guy tells me to meet him near Jhb zoo as he lives in Parktown, Asked him for the VIN number via sms but he never sent it. My daughter calls him and he tells her to meet near Sandton City. He sends her the VIN number and it turns off it has been written off TWICE! WTF?

So reputable dealers with higher prices are looking to be the only option
    Dunslop lover....

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Good luck, bud. I have also been browsing the second hand car market, since that bloody tree graduated from Ninja classes a few weeks ago. At the end, the insurance decided to fix my car, but no I still have to wait for it.

Good luck with the search!
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Pirate...

My daughter's car is also going to be sold off as a code 2 from the salvage yard. They reckon Suzuki spares are hard to come by and it would take too long to fix the car...

Am not sure if I would like to buy this car after it was hit like the picture shows and ended up being tipped onto the drivers side. At least my kid wasn't hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    Thanks Pirate...

My daughter's car is also going to be sold off as a code 2 from the salvage yard. They reckon Suzuki spares are hard to come by and it would take too long to fix the car...

Am not sure if I would like to buy this car after it was hit like the picture shows and ended up being tipped onto the drivers side. At least my kid wasn't hurt.
    That is crazy!
    I guess just cos your insurance company says "uneconomical to repair" doesn't mean the thing will ever officially be scrapped.

My father was in the motor trade for years and he saw some of the things second hand car places get up to.
    Wrecked vehicles with bent chassis... end up getting sold as demo models...
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Come Join the Marshals
    Bike
    NC700X (retired into a golf5) NC750X, & Bajaj 180
    Region
    Gauteng

What you looking to spend?
    If you require Safety Training pop us WhatsApp: 062 192 5492

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Dave, welcome to the used motor vehicle trade! Take my advice, and unless you actually know the person selling the car, and know its history, LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!! Rather buy from a REPUTABLE ( and yes there are such things) dealer, you will have recourse to CPA and various other things should you gave problems. Also the second hand market is over flooded with cars, so you can score some good bargains.
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

So reputable dealers with higher prices are looking to be the only option
    Actually Dave, think about your experience so far, it is actually a reputable dealer at a LOWER price.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Pirate...

Do not allow that to happen. The car is in her name, the registration certificate is in her name. Deregister it.

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

AMZ the car now belongs to the insurers as they paid me out for it.... so not a whole lot I can do.

I feel it is a little unethical to do it, but by the sounds of it this seems to be a common practice.

Alex we are looking at +- R75k. My daughter fancies a Kia Picanto (new shape), Ford Fiesta (newer shape), Hyundai I20, Ford Figo and so on.

I was going to put her in a bakkie or a Honda Jazz but she wouldnt fall for that... She is a student so has to be "cool"
    Dunslop lover....

Come Join the Marshals
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

AMZ the car now belongs to the insurers as they paid me out for it.... so not a whole lot I can do.

I feel it is a little unethical to do it, but by the sounds of it this seems to be a common practice.

Alex we are looking at +- R75k. My daughter fancies a Kia Picanto (new shape), Ford Fiesta (newer shape), Hyundai I20, Ford Figo and so on.

I was going to put her in a bakkie or a Honda Jazz but she wouldnt fall for that... She is a student so has to be "cool"
    Pity as I have a box shape bmw 318 has 120k on the clock, original km, one old lady owner, needs a little bit of panel beating, but great condition - selling for 38K

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Alex but I am looking for something small and economical..... she is a student which means I am paying for fuel and maintenance.
    Dunslop lover....

Come Join the Marshals
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Alex but I am looking for something small and economical..... she is a student which means I am paying for fuel and maintenance.
    Cool no probs, thought I might be able to help out

Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

A friend graduated a tree from his ninja warrior school about a month ago, but then I had a little skirmish with said student. A little one, as in the airbag didn't even go off, and damages is still +-70% of the car's value. I tell you!!! So anyway, me needing to get to work and such while my cage is being repaired, we are renting a vehicle for me. So far, I had the pleasure of driving a Ford Fiesta. Fiesty little car, and quite economical, however they aren't economical on the capital outlay part...

Then I could borrow a car for a while, and now I am driving a Hyundai i10 Grande. VERY economical fuel consumption (100km/6.1l for the last 2 weeks, 40l tank). Bluetooth, steering wheel control for the media centre, on board trip computer, central locking, even the side mirrors fold back if you press a button. I am quite impressed with this thing. It's not as small as the 1st generation i10, but the Fiesta's boot is bigger... (Renault Sandero Stepway's boot is still bigger than these 2). IMHO the new i10 is equal if not better than the prior i20.

Hope this helps. (yes, yes, I know I could have gotten a 2nd hand 250cc commuter for the price we paid in car rentals, but SWAMBO refuses to pay cash for a bark, so it would be all me)
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Pirate

My daughters first choices were the Fiesta and Mazda 2, but as you say the prices are up there.

She found a Suzuki Swift she fancied. I did the E-natis check and again found it had been a write-off. My daughter asks the seller how much damage was done in the accident and he tells her the bonnet, left fender, a front light and the area where the radiator attaches.

He then sends her a picture The entire left front end is gone. The bonnet looks like a samoosa and the passenger air bag was deployed. I doubt very much if that air bag was ever replaced given the cost.

So I had enough of the private and less reputable dealer market. Saw a I10 1.1 GLS yesterday at IC Nissan in Kempton park. My daughter came and picked me up at work (in my car!) and we drove through. Checked it out and signed the OTP. Did an EFT for the cash when I got back to the office and we will pick it up tomorrow. R69990 + R4500 on the road fees. Anyway told the salesman R73k and not a cent more and he got it down to R72999.99. Think he has a sense of humour..
    Dunslop lover....

My real account is under AMZ FJTillDeath's Avatar
    Bike
    Hyosung GT650S
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Glad you were finally sorted
    Life on 2 wheels is so much better

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyway told the salesman R73k and not a cent more and he got it down to R72999.99. Think he has a sense of humour..
    Oh, I think he does too.

Glad you're sorted!
    From your friendly cager

Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; Sym Jet14 200; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng

Sleep. That's one cent less!