Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Headlight Covers

  1. #1
    Jack of all trades
    Jadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Randburg
    Bike
    Aprilia 650 (Sold) Honda CR250 Honda NC750 (Stolen) Honda VFR1200 (Sold)BMW F800GSA
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,046

    Default Headlight Covers

    Lots of debates over the color's etc.
    Have no issue with the orange headlights, however red just does not work.

    Yesterday was it had got dark was traveling down Beyers Naude in a Northerly direction in the left hand lane. Could see a bike, only just cause it had a red headlight cover, in my rear-view mirror in the right lane. The cage in front of me indicated that they wanted to change lanes to the right and proceeded to do so, only to have the chop head rev his bike and give them a kark look because they had changed lanes in front of him. Had he had no cover on he would have been more visible and nothing would have happened.

    You may never know what result come from your actions.
    But if you do nothing, there will be no result.
    Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #2
    Hooligan Biker Dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadd View Post
    Lots of debates over the color's etc.
    Have no issue with the orange headlights, however red just does not work.
    Is red allowed?!

    Orange is very visible, saw that again this morning with a bike approaching us.

  3. #3
    Hardcore Biker Linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A plot
    Bike
    06 black 1200S Bandit and 98 red 1200S Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Red is for suicidal idiots. A bike like this in the evening can easily be mistaken for a bike going away from you.

    Strictly speaking orange is not legal. The law states that forward facing lights can only be white, amber of yellow. But I would really like to meet the JMPD official who can unequivocally distinguish between amber and orange
    Maturity is a grossly overrated achievement

    I am who I am. Your approval is not required nor desired. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

  4. #4
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    Is red allowed?!

    Orange is very visible, saw that again this morning with a bike approaching us.
    Red is not allowed.

  5. #5
    Trip 7s
    colyvon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wilgeheuwel
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    7,473

    Default

    Using red as a headlight cover is crazy, the brain is going to subconciously see it as a tail light which will be thought to be heading away from you.

  6. #6
    N00b
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    22

    Default

    i was pulled over last week for having an orange cover on, told the officer it comes off though but he didnt look impressed. eventually told me to take it off and go.

    been wanting to put it back on but i go through the same roadblock on an almost weekly basis and dont think he will be so lenient a second time around.

    would that fluorescent yellow/greenish color be considered amber of yellow?
    seen it on a few bikes here and there.

  7. #7
    Hooligan Biker Viper1350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    440

    Default

    I'm confused as to why amber is illegal? It states in the RTA that all forward facing lights of the same class must be white, yellow or amber.

  8. #8
    Hardcore Biker Linus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A plot
    Bike
    06 black 1200S Bandit and 98 red 1200S Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1350 View Post
    I'm confused as to why amber is illegal? It states in the RTA that all forward facing lights of the same class must be white, yellow or amber.
    You are right. Amber is legal but orange is illegal and red is illegal as well as a really stupid choice
    Maturity is a grossly overrated achievement

    I am who I am. Your approval is not required nor desired. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

  9. #9
    Hooligan Biker Viper1350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    You are right. Amber is legal but orange is illegal and red is illegal as well as a really stupid choice
    I thought amber and orange was basically the same thing?

    The perspex I made my headlight cover from is Amber U300 so I should be safe? Not that I can see the difference with me being colourblind

  10. #10
    N00b
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1350 View Post
    I thought amber and orange was basically the same thing?

    The perspex I made my headlight cover from is Amber U300 so I should be safe? Not that I can see the difference with me being colourblind
    I used the same perspex as you to make mine and the officer still said its illegal, not that i think he knows the exact details of different colors.
    I have heard of a guy riding with that RTA document page that states the colors allowed with him so he can argue his case when pulled over, maybe something to consider.

  11. #11
    Hooligan Biker Viper1350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_B View Post
    I used the same perspex as you to make mine and the officer still said its illegal, not that i think he knows the exact details of different colors.
    I have heard of a guy riding with that RTA document page that states the colors allowed with him so he can argue his case when pulled over, maybe something to consider.
    I thought about doing this just after submitting my previous post. I'll be printing it right now

  12. #12
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1350 View Post
    I thought about doing this just after submitting my previous post. I'll be printing it right now
    Post act for us to all print.
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  13. #13
    Hooligan Biker Viper1350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Post act for us to all print.
    Here we go

    NRTA - Colour of Lights.pdf

  14. #14
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,040

    Default

    Never argue with a cop. Even if you show him that bit he may well continue arguing, get upset and start looking for other issues. Explain your understanding once and then let him write his summons if he feels the need. If he does. Take summons and sort with a proper decision maker like a Prosecutor or Magistrate.

    For instance, he may well throw this bit at you:

    National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996)

    Regulations

    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999

    Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles

    Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles

    184. Manner in which lamps to be fitted and maintained



    1)

    a)

    b)


    3)

    a)

    b)

    4)

    5)

    6) No lamp required to be fitted to or displayed in connection with a vehicle shall be totally or partially obscured by any fitting or object on the vehicle.

  15. #15
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    411

    Default

    I might just argue with a coppa anytime. The only official I will NOT argue with is an immigration officer, especially if I'm on the "other side" of the border.
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  16. #16
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    I might just argue with a coppa anytime. The only official I will NOT argue with is an immigration officer, especially if I'm on the "other side" of the border.
    That is where I differ. My feeling is arguing with an official is arguing with a lackey and arguing with a lackey is a completely useless exercise. It is like arguing with the bank teller over the interest rate the bike charges, or a mechanic over what the dealership charges for oil. There is nothing the can do about it, so you may as well argue with a lamp post. Be brave! Take on the decision makers!

  17. #17
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Never argue with a cop. Even if you show him that bit he may well continue arguing, get upset and start looking for other issues. Explain your understanding once and then let him write his summons if he feels the need. If he does. Take summons and sort with a proper decision maker like a Prosecutor or Magistrate.

    For instance, he may well throw this bit at you:

    National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996)

    Regulations

    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999

    Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles

    Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles

    184. Manner in which lamps to be fitted and maintained



    1)

    a)

    b)


    3)

    a)

    b)

    4)

    5)

    6) No lamp required to be fitted to or displayed in connection with a vehicle shall be totally or partially obscured by any fitting or object on the vehicle.
    Hmmmmm... good point.
    Do you get orange headlight bulbs?

  18. #18
    Hooligan Biker Viper1350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Hmmmmm... good point.
    Do you get orange headlight bulbs?
    That is a good point...

    This one caught my eye as well *looks at BMW S1000RR*

    (3)When two or more of the same lamps are fitted to a vehicle they shall

    -(a)be placed symmetrically in relation to the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle;

  19. #19
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,040

    Default

    My questions.

    - How many bikes are there on the roads in SA every day.
    - What percentage of those have coloured (in some manner) headlights?
    - What percentage of those actually get stopped by cops?
    - What percentage of those are given a bit of lip about the headlights?
    - What percentage of those actually get fined?
    - What is the fine?
    - Why does anyone care?


    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1350 View Post
    That is a good point...

    This one caught my eye as well *looks at BMW S1000RR*

    (3)When two or more of the same lamps are fitted to a vehicle they shall

    -(a)be placed symmetrically in relation to the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle;
    The S1000RR as the GS and others have a dim beam and a main beam and as such, by the definition of the NRTA, are not the same lamps.

  20. #20
    Trip 7s
    colyvon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wilgeheuwel
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    7,473

    Default

    Slightly off point, does anybody know where I can buy the double sided 3M dual lock tabs/strips for attaching my amber light cover? Mine got damaged and need to be replaced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •