Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Naughty Think-biker

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    The ability to honestly self-evaluate is a vital skill for a rider. Good attitude Anton, and yes - that's a classic example of feeling the urge to "press on".

On watching the clip you had a couple of options.

As you said, you should have stopped. Well that would have been the careful honest citizen's method. You still had an amber signal when you went through, so while that option - stopping - was the safest it wasn't your only one.

What may have caused you to go for the gap was what you had to do to get clear of the VW and through the light - gas it slightly. That meant you were carrying more speed than ideal for the situation up ahead. The turning bakkie didn't give you much room to play with, as you didn't have much room from the curb on the right (not counting any grit or mess in the gutter either) and were dealing with braking to slow down and deal with said Ranger, while turning. The potential problems there included the possibility of a dozy or road rage driver shutting the door on you, or possible road surface issues (such as a oil spot). While a little tight and rushed, all ended well.

A better option - having run the amber light - would have been to brake a little harder and get into machine control, following behind the Ranger through the turn, and then getting past it on the straight section.

But before any of us get self-righteous or you berate yourself for not being a flawless rider, this clip is ALSO a very good illustration of the hazards we face in the urban environment every single day. We constantly have to make evaluations and decisions on potentially life-threatening situations, and these can be multiple decisions WITHIN a minute in a typical heavy traffic situation. Throw in factors such as fatigue state, concentration of the rider, the rider's actual skill level and abilities (vs what we think our abilities are - because we're all individually awesome riders or so we think) and the picture becomes a lot more complex.

Its very easy to win the match on Monday, not so easy when you're actually playing it on the day. And that's why we need to do our reasonable best to be at our best whenever we get on the bike or behind the wheel.

In closing we can use points #3 and #6 of the late Sailor Malan's "Ten of My Rules for Air Fighting" (Google him and learn something) as urban riders.

#3 - Always keep a sharp lookout. "Keep your finger out!" ('40s slang, meaning "keep your finger out of your ****" - i.o.w. stay alert)
    #6 - Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.
    Good summary.

Personally I NEVER position myself on the right edge of a right turning lane, or the left edge of a left turning lane.
    I consider overtaking on the inside as dangerous, as you never know how sharply the car would be turning in.

That said, I generally also avoid passing on the outside in such a situation, unless traffic is stopped when I get there and there's plenty of space to run wide.

---

Either way, tonnes better than the ?Triumph? that blitzed passed over Beyers on to Ysterhout this morning.
    Passed three splitting riders by moving onto the left painted island to pass the cars.

Then on to two close calls at the next two intersections where he had to brake hard to avoid lane-changing cars (and not even swerve before indicate types!)

After that he still proceeded at 120+ in the 60 zone all the way to the next red light...
    Lots of pain in his future if he continues riding like that
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

What great analysis! Of value to all!
    Thanks!

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

What great analysis Banditman! Of value to all!
    Thanks!

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Banditman.

I thought I might get crucified if I posted the video, but was hoping for good honest constructive analysis and criticism, so that I and others can learn.
    Objective reached

Have one lekka weekend all.
    All advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, unless advised not to do so by a physician.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by AntonD69 View Post
    Thanks Banditman.

I thought I might get crucified if I posted the video, but was hoping for good honest constructive analysis and criticism, so that I and others can learn.
    Objective reached

Have one lekka weekend all.
    One and all have mentioned what it takes to admit (and even post a video) of your own riding. 100% for the way you handled it and the responses to the riding style etc.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AntonD69 View Post
    Thanks Banditman.

Objective reached
    Ja, every now and then we even surprise ourselves with our ability to be mature

But, like WBro said, your mature approach in this thread was commendable and that also set the tone for the replies.

O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    RR?

Regulator Rectifier?
    Roto Rooter?
    Race Replica
    Road Runner?
    Rooi Rok?

Ride Reports

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Doofie View Post
    Ride Reports
    In this case RR means Road Rangers.
    All advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, unless advised not to do so by a physician.