Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild / Resurrection: Suzuki GN 125

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

That's actually in the works. On the 30th we've got the annual Wizards on Wheels car show, and I'll be setting up a company stall with the training bikes etc. She'll be on show. I hadn't thought about the "before" pics though, so nice idea.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

When your highly qualified & experienced bike mechanic friend spends all morning finding the wiring snag.... Turns out there wasn't a bad earth on the taillight, but a Chinese design / production present. After going through the lot he found that the front right indicator was the issue. A teeny tiny bit of wiring wasn't fully insulated and was contacting the earth when the bulb was in. A blob of epoxy to seal it should do the trick. Everything else is working fine.

The best news of the morning? She fired up and ran sweetly on the first press of the starter. But the test ride'll have to wait until the weekend. I need a couple more bullet connectors and the fuel tap to tank gasket is finished. New one should be here Friday.

But she runs, and runs well.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

It will only be officially a test run if there are video and photos...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

I'm very very happy to say that this evening I test rode the bike (now christened Gabi) for the first time.

The carb either needs tweaking or the diaphragm needs replacing, but otherwise it ran/turned/braked as sweet as a nut. The only remaining real job now is to get the saddle made and the spare original tweaked to fit with the raised tank, but otherwise it's paperwork and roadworthy time asap.

Pics to follow:

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

OK for some reason I can't seem to upload any images. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Biker

Bike
    Suzuki GW 250
    Region
    Gauteng

All the best with this venture!

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Right! Its been a long time since I posted here as I've been having fun with sorting out paperwork.

The short version; Make 100% sure that ALL paperwork on the project bike is in order BEFORE you begin working on it, and if you have any suspicions for any reason then allay them first.

The last post on the bike mentioned taking it for a first test ride. At that point I decided it was time to start the re-registration process. I'd received what SEEMED to be all the paperwork along with an affidavit transferring ownership of the remains to me from the previous owner, but something just nagged at me.

Remember that the story so far was that the bike had been stolen, recovered partially stripped, had sat abandoned by the insurers in the impound yard from 2014 until July 2016, and the owner had been told by the Police to collect and dispose of the remains as she saw fit.

So I spoke to a friend in the Traffic Dept and got them to pull up the vehicle's details on the system, and there it was. The last registered owner wasn't the original owner (my former customer) but the holding / umbrella company for her insurer. She'd deregistered the bike as stolen and then, on being paid out, had passed ownership to them. The bike was deregistered as stolen (not scrapped). I'd need an affidavit & the dereg certificates from them.

Great. I immediately put all work on the bike on hold until I knew what was going on.

I then went back to the lady (just to make it plain, a very nice person & not a crook. She just didn't understand the process) and asked her for the paperwork she'd kept relating to the theft case. This became a major pain the backside, as I had to repeatedly nag after her. She'd moved since the theft and was in the process of moving again, so the paperwork was "in one of these boxes somewhere, I know I have it".

I then contacted the parent company and played a series of telephone / internet chases from one person to another until one thought they knew who to speak to. I emailed them the details along with pics of the recovered bits. I finally got through to their stolen vehicles section. At this point a representative phoned & left a "please contact me urgently" message. Very pleasant & concerned guy, he told me the bike was still registered as "Stolen, not recovered" on the eNatis and Police systems. He couldn't understand how I'd been able to get the parts out of the impound. I told him I'd been there with the owner who'd signed off on the paperwork with one of the Vehicle Theft Unit officers, as the Impound gents don't allow a bolt out of the yard without authorisation (midnight over the wall shopping excluded).

This meant that I was effectively sitting with stolen property which I'd already started putting money into.

He was very cool about it - said he was glad to at least get some news and was sure we could sort it all out once he heard that I basically wanted the frame and engine for a rebuild. I then started a chase process with the original owners & the local authorities.

It took a few months of nagging at the lady before I finally got all the paperwork from the police case out of her, along with an affidavit of the process and how/why she'd ended up removing the remains from the impound.

From there, it was a case of going back to the impound and searching through their records. The one officer had since retired. It turned out that the case officer had closed the case and signed the release paperwork, but had never cancelled the Stolen notice on the system at that time. Quality work. Some politeness and patience pays off. The gent heading up the impound arranged a time for me to meet the OC of the Vehicle Theft Unit with all the paperwork I had (his words, "This stuff is gold - you're lucky you have it all"). With the case all fully closed off, I sent the lot up to the insurers. In 24 hrs I got a reply with a very fair purchase offer on the remains of the bike, and now - huge sigh of relief - the bike is legally mine.

Which means I'm busy finishing off the last build details.

Next up will be the reregistration & licencing process.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

UPDATE:

The last post on progress was September 2017 I see.

• The test ride showed that performance fell off quickly as it got onto the main jet. Suspicion is that it needed more of a clean seeing as the donor bike sat for months, followed by the rebuild sitting as well. Stripped the carb to find that the diaphragm was slightly pinched in one place (no damage). Seated it properly today & will refit the carb for a test. If she's still not pulling properly, I'll strip and clean the carb in a mate's ultrasonic cleaner.
    • Saddle needs to be built - that should be soon once I've had a few quotes and seen some examples of workmanship.
    • Fork boots are now fitted and look ace, they definitely beef up the front end visually as well as add to the retro feel.
    • New battery being fitted in 5 minutes time
    • Indicators are flashing too quickly (must be the tiny bulbs), so i'll see if I can either fit others or change the flasher relay to slow things down without cutting into the wiring.
    • Little details left: fitting a new teflon washer or similar to hold the ignition switch; some plating to be done on the rear axle adjusters & bolts, some carb screws including the idle screw & a coupla other bits.
    • Fork caps to be milled down a bit to give me a little more front end drop - those should be going in to a local engineering place tomorrow.

Then its roadworthy time.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

No pics, because every attempt to upload one fails.

Is there a size restriction these days?

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Looking forward to the pics and the bike on the road!
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Name:  1 (562).jpg
Views: 87
Size:  116.0 KB

Just before the fork boots went on. More pics coming in a mo'

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Fork boots fitted
    Name:  1 (569).jpg
Views: 84
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  1 (570).jpg
Views: 83
Size:  107.7 KB

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Fuelling is now sorted. I pulled the carb last night & went past a mate's workshop. We found the diaphragm was slightly pinched under the cover. Quick fix. Put it in along with a new battery. Total transformation. Cheeky little monkey of a bike, huge fun.

It's hard to believe that this is basically the same angle view of the same bike from 2014 to now.

Name:  Changes (3).jpg
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  Changes (1).jpg
Views: 85
Size:  135.1 KB

Name:  Changes (2).jpg
Size:  84.6 KB

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Wow! Amazing transformation
    Well done!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW R1150R
    Region
    Western Cape

An effort to be proud of.
    The bike now has character.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Banditman! Bloody well done! That looks great!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

Tomorrow the fork caps get milled down a bit, giving me another 6mm drop or so which should get the stance just about spot on while retaining the same spring rates and budget approach.

Then its minor stuff apart from the new saddle, busy getting quotes on that job.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Wow man. It looks beautiful.. Great job

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Very pretty...well done

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Thanks very much gents, kind words.

Some new updates:

I've had the fork caps milled down and it gave close enough to the right amount of drop that makes no difference without spending more money than necessary.

Standard part on the right hand side
    Name:  1 (587).jpg
Views: 31
Size:  59.3 KB
    Before & after plating
    Name:  1 (581).jpg
Size:  81.5 KB
    Name:  1 (584).jpg
Size:  63.0 KB

And there's the difference, before and after.
    Name:  1 (585).jpg
Size:  49.2 KB
    Name:  1 (592).jpg
Views: 33
Size:  45.5 KB