Thread: And thats, that

N00b
    Bike
    Harley Davidson 48
    Region
    Gauteng

Default And thats, that

I actually came here to see if there was any post, on the off chance, regarding my accident.

Exactly one month ago, i collected my bike (Harley 4 from Harley Gold Rand after its service. I was travelling down Northrand road towards Benoni. As I approached Atlas road, there is a centre island by the BP that splits the lanes of traffic traveling in opposite directions, anyways, a truck decided to make a U-Turn around this, and directly infront of me.

I recall seeing the truck pull in to the centre island, i recall thinking, "F***" and pulling left, but he continued with his illegal uturn until we collided. It appears as though we collided on the front left hand corner of the truck. Him hitting my front tyre, flicking me into the truck. My head and body left a massive dent in the side of the truck. I recall the moment of impact, but as more of a flash, and everything went black. The next thing i remember is the ambulance cutting my jeans off and me asking what happened. Since the accident and having called several eye witnesses, I have learnt i was conscious the whole time, screaming of pain and trying to reach for my leg. I have no memory of this. I hit the truck at around 50 - 60km/h.

Eye witnesses tell me I swerved harder than i thought to get around the truck, that there was no where more i could go and that he kept coming for me. They tell me that at the time he began his u-turn, i was no more than 15 meters away from him. Apparently i hit the truck, hit the tar, bounced, and then stopped on the second impact with the road. I did not have ATGATT. I was in jeans, a t-shirt, trainers and an open face helmet. I really was one of the lucky ones... i broke nothing. I spent three hours receiving 46 stitches and 12 staples. then further time getting x-rays and CT scans. I was only admitted into hospital for one night for observation. There were multiple cuts and roasties on my face from the open face, stitches down my elbow, knee and shin. I'm struggling to walk a bit and still have inflammation on my knee, but its getting better. What does bother me is still suffering from the concussion symptoms. If i tilt my head at the wrong angle I get incredibly dizzy. My vision also blurs with prolonged screen work at the moment and fatigue sets in very quickly. I am likely to have another CT scan in the coming weeks. I credit my helmet for saving my life. Yes my face got a pretty bashed up and I'll certainly have permanent scars from it, but it withstood an impact into a truck and i was ok (mostly).

Will I ride again, i'm not sure. I have played this scenario over in my head time and time again, and I can't think of anything i could have done differently. A driver was negligent and placed his vehicle directly infront of me. I miss my bike (its written off), and i have gone to look at a few since. I'll test ride a few when i can move my leg properly again, whether i buy one or not remains to be seen.

Additionally, making a third party claim has been a nightmare. Despite their client making an illegal U-Turn and stating that he didn't see me. Coupled with eye witness details that he was completely in the wrong and there was nothing i could do... they claim i should have avoided the accident and i am at fault. I'm not backing down and have put a legal team in place to fight them.
    Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Sorry to hear about your accident and all the troubles you are having now glad you are still around to tell the tale. All the best with the recovery and dealing with the insurance etc.
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

A closed helmet might have padded your noggin slightly better, but that's water under the bridge now. at 50+km/h every hit will be a hard one!
    I'd recommend waiting till your balance (dizziness issue) is sorted before riding again, but other than that, I'm glad you came off relatively unscathed!

Good luck with the legal fight, and if possible, please keep us updated.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

On that exact road and exact spot 2 years ago my son's best friend Andre Mouton died, he too was on a bike and hit a truck making an illegal u-turn. Look on FB for his mother Erna "Ariana" Mouton and ask her about the disaster she had in trying to prosecute the driver of the truck.

Hope your recovery is swift and maybe you and Erna can join forces if not to succeed in litigation but to perhaps force the road authorities in Benoni to do something on that stretch of road to prevent trucks and other vehicles entering and leaving the BP Garage from making illegal u-turns.
    I've got an great ambition to die of exhaution rather than boredom! Thomas Carlyle. And I soooo agree with him

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW K 1300 GT
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    On that exact road and exact spot 2 years ago my son's best friend Andre Mouton died, he too was on a bike and hit a truck making an illegal u-turn. Look on FB for his mother Erna "Ariana" Mouton and ask her about the disaster she had in trying to prosecute the driver of the truck.

Hope your recovery is swift and maybe you and Erna can join forces if not to succeed in litigation but to perhaps force the road authorities in Benoni to do something on that stretch of road to prevent trucks and other vehicles entering and leaving the BP Garage from making illegal u-turns.
    Wishing DJ Parker a speedy recovery.

The accident that resulted in Andre's death happened at the Shell Garage a little further down the road from where DJ Parker had his accident. An idiot truck driver pulled out the garage and illegally turned right (at a left only turn) and across Lakefield Avenue, into the path of Andre. I see vehicles pulling out from there all the time and it is extremely dangerous.

One would expect the Ekurhuleni Metro Police to carry out some law enforcement at this dangerous spot due to the fatal accident as well as other accidents that have happened at this very same exit. About 2 weeks ago, they were actually speed trapping close to this spot, not sure that could be related to this dangerous exit from the Shell garage.

I often think of Andre's accident as I usually make use of that Shell garage and on almost every occasion that I am there, I see vehicles exiting and turning right illegally.

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Wishing DJ Parker a speedy recovery.

The accident that resulted in Andre's death happened at the Shell Garage a little further down the road from where DJ Parker had his accident. An idiot truck driver pulled out the garage and illegally turned right (at a left only turn) and across Lakefield Avenue, into the path of Andre. I see vehicles pulling out from there all the time and it is extremely dangerous.

One would expect the Ekurhuleni Metro Police to carry out some law enforcement at this dangerous spot due to the fatal accident as well as other accidents that have happened at this very same exit. About 2 weeks ago, they were actually speed trapping close to this spot, not sure that could be related to this dangerous exit from the Shell garage.

I often think of Andre's accident as I usually make use of that Shell garage and on almost every occasion that I am there, I see vehicles exiting and turning right illegally.
    Yes, sorry you are right have not lived in Benoni for about 15 years, lived in Sunnyside Avenue. Andre's accident was catastrophic for all involved. The level of heartache is sometimes unbearable.

One would have thought that bollards or the like would be placed on the painted island to prevent the illegal u-turns, as I think rumble strips would have very little effect on large trucks.

Just on the matter of Erna, I know from what my son tells me that her courtcase was just case of justice not being served or very fair.
    I've got an great ambition to die of exhaution rather than boredom! Thomas Carlyle. And I soooo agree with him

Slow Searcher
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

In South African law, under the principle of dolus eventualis, (a form of intent) a person can be convicted of murder if they foresaw the possibility of their actions causing death but continued with it regardless of the consequence. This is the law which overturned Oscar Pistorius' previous conviction to murder. I'm sure the same could be applied to any other case. Only problem is that so many people are so stupid they don't even know the time never mind knowing the difference between right and wrong or what their actions might lead to.

DJ Parker, sorry to hear about your incident and hope you heal up soon. If I was you I would also take the case as far as possible. A company who rather stands beside their employee knowing that he could have killed you due to his actions instead of disciplining him for bringing the company into disrepute, means they actually support his actions, they support breaking the law and have no regard for it and don't care about negative publicity for their business.

Don't take life too seriously....nobody gets out alive!!!

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Sorry to hear of your off, at least you came out in one piece. As to suing the bastard, keep at it! Also, we only post the accidents that we are made aware of, and there must be a lot more than we get news of. I have for some time now tried to get something going with the ambulance services and hospitals, but they rightly say that's its privileged information, and cant disclose anything. I have tried to explain that I don't want names etc, just time and place and general condition of rider.
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!