Thread: Extended Warranty for KTM 390 Duke

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Extended Warranty for KTM 390 Duke

Hi guys

Any thoughts on extended warranty for a brand new KTM 390 Duke? It comes with standard 2 year warranty from the manufacturer. The finance lady working on my deal has offered me a policy from SA Warranties to basically extend it from 2 to 4 years for a fee of R2700 once off.

Went through the fine print and not really sure if it's a product worth getting. I do intend to keep the bike for a while.

What is your say?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Check if it excludes "normal wear and tear" and whether that is defined.

Also remember that if you add it into your HP, that R2700 quickly becomes R3700 or something due to interest.

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Check if it excludes "normal wear and tear" and whether that is defined.

Also remember that if you add it into your HP, that R2700 quickly becomes R3700 or something due to interest.
    It does include wear and tear at that price (R2150 without wear and tear)

Yeah I won't be putting it on HP. Strictly cash.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Probably commits you to four years of servicing from the agent. That would kill it for me.

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Probably commits you to four years of servicing from the agent. That would kill it for me.
    The fine print says services at the agent or other approved RMI (retail manufacturer industry). So yes it does lock you down

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

I was prepared to lose my manufacturer's warranty by NOT having the agents service it.

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Cool. That solves it. Thought I was maybe losing out or making the wrong decision. I am happy with the standard warranty.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

There's a lot you can and should do yourself. And should be allowed to do yourself.

Did you know? You can change your oil and filter in the living room.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    There's a lot you can and should do yourself. And should be allowed to do yourself.
    In a world where tax fraud, insurance fraud and other types of fraud is the order of the day, no dealer can trust anyone that they have actually done the work they will swear, on the name of the deity of choice, was done.

I would most certainly not warranty a vehicle service by, who knows.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    In a world where tax fraud, insurance fraud and other types of fraud is the order of the day, no dealer can trust anyone that they have actually done the work they will swear, on the name of the deity of choice, was done.

I would most certainly not warranty a vehicle service by, who knows.
    Yes, I fully agree with you. If you are buying a warranty you are going to have to live with that. You can't be "allowed" to do what you like within the framework of a policy.

But I want to do some things to the bike myself, and when it needs more than that there is only one guy I trust, and he is not dealer's mechanic (who I never get to even see). So I wouldn't buy an extended warranty for those reasons.

Your service experiences with BMW have always been good ones, but probably not true across the industry.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Fully agree on the extension warranty. Being forced into a service provider in exchange for the cover it gives is not worth it at all. I would never take one. Hard lesson learned decades ago.

We have indeed had excellent service on our BMW's. Between Mags and myself, 6 Beemers having covered around 320k km's and yet to experience bad service. Of course this is way beyond the average one can expect from any dealership and certainly there are some who have experienced bad service from the same dealer. Basically, we are happy to have them care for our bikes and if I look at some reports on WD's, they are also cheaper than most non-OEM mechanics. Happy to let them service and keep factory warranty intact especially as this bring a nifty locally card and the possibility of goodwill warranty repairs.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

***! Why is editing not available on Mobile?

Locally card = Loyalty card!

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Noted. Thanks for your input gents

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Region
    North West

JHB has a few good KTM dealerships (so I have heard from KTM owners). But in my experience, these warranties are very often not worth it. R2700 doesn't seem like a lot of money if it covers wear and tear items however, so it will depend on what exactly is covered (brake pads/discs, bearings etc.) and how long you plan on keeping the bike. I wouldn't take it, but that is just me.

I remember all too well. Ford Sierra XR6. 80 000km. 5th gear goes into retirement. No probs. I have an extended warranty. Take the car to the prescribed gearbox repairer. They remove gearbox. Strip gearbox. Warranty company sends assessor. Assessor: "Sorry. 5th gear gone due to normal wear and tear, not covered." Gearbox repairer: "We can fix. R1700, or put back together as is, put back in car, R800. Which will you prefer?"

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    JHB has a few good KTM dealerships (so I have heard from KTM owners). But in my experience, these warranties are very often not worth it. R2700 doesn't seem like a lot of money if it covers wear and tear items however, so it will depend on what exactly is covered (brake pads/discs, bearings etc.) and how long you plan on keeping the bike. I wouldn't take it, but that is just me.
    When I say does it cover wear and tear, I am not talking about wear and tear items like brake pads and discs. My question remains to these warranty givers. What could possibly break after the normal factory warranty has expired (2 years, say 30 000km) that cannot be attributed to normal wear and tear?

Biker
    Bike
    KTM 1190 R
    Region
    Eastern Cape

If the Warranty you get is an extra 2years Unlimited KM, then the wear and tear items like bearings etc will be covered.
    Just read the Conditions, the beter ones will say everything that KTM covered in the first 2 years, they will also cover in the 2nd 2 years, then you are safe.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspanner View Post
    If the Warranty you get is an extra 2years Unlimited KM, then the wear and tear items like bearings etc will be covered.
    Just read the Conditions, the beter ones will say everything that KTM covered in the first 2 years, they will also cover in the 2nd 2 years, then you are safe.
    Like I said, read the fine print, carefully.