Thread: Tyre advice please...

Bike
    honda CBR125R (Sold) , Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold), Honda VFR800(sold), Kawasaki ZX6R
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Bug Tyre advice please...

Good morning

Finally back on 2 wheels after a few months and I've picked up a 2011 Kawasaki zx6r. Its currently got Pirelli Rosso Corsas on it and they have so far proved to be the best tyres I've ever had on a bike. Although it might just be that the zx is the best I've had suspension wise.

But the tyres, are showing quite harsh wear on the edges, rubber is rolling off quite a bit and don't think they'll last much more than 3-4k km. Are there any tyres that anyone could recommend that would be grippy enough for trackdays and hard riding. While still giving a decent life span, I know it's difficult to try and get something with tons of grip and high mileage in the same sentence.

So far the ones that I've read about are : the Battlax BT-016s
    Dunlop Q2/3
    Michelin Pilot Power
    but all those seem to be on the same mileage life as the pirelli, so wanted to find feedback from someone whose actually got experience on the tyres they'd recommend and the life they got out of them. Doing rallies and long road from time to time and dont want to sit with something thats going to square off heavily on the long road.

Thank you for any input and I'll have a ride report soon as I get the zx past the 1000km mark and have a proper idea of the bike
    Seen so many other awesome signatures...and I can't think of any...oh well guess this is mine then

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Or

Bridgestone T30

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Sport touring tyres, aimed at exactly the compromise you are looking for.

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki ZX10R & 2010 Honda CB1000R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Michelin Pilot Road 4
    Have to agree with this tyre. I have the Road 3 on my ZX10 and it's fantastic in sun and rain. I have just put the Road 4 on my 600 commuter and I'm enjoying them too. Had the BT016's on the commuter previously, not a bad tyre but Michelins feel more grippy.

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dre77 View Post
    Have to agree with this tyre. I have the Road 3 on my ZX10 and it's fantastic in sun and rain. I have just put the Road 4 on my 600 commuter and I'm enjoying them too. Had the BT016's on the commuter previously, not a bad tyre but Michelins feel more grippy.
    +1 on the Michellin Road
    I've got the Road 3 on my Daytona... They worked well on the track a couple weeks back... AND they only lose traction after quite a bit of squealing (as can be heard in my video... lol) giving you a decent warning before letting go completely.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    CBR1000R, GSX650F
    Region
    Gauteng

And in comes a Bridgestone fan-boy

I have had a go at the Bridgestone S20 on my Honda and they are really nice tyres, best grip I have had from any tyre, BUT the rear only lasted a little over 5000km.

I also gave the Michellin pilot power 3 a try and was also a good tyre, even on the track and the mileage looked to be good, I unfortunately switched them over to my bike that was written off so could not get the final number, but think they would of given me about 8k km at-least, also did a track day and did not let me down. They do have a strange feel though I was not too fond off but like I said, Bridgestone Fanboy.

I would highly recommend them as they are a little more sport orientated over the road series.

My 2c

Bike
    honda CBR125R (Sold) , Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold), Honda VFR800(sold), Kawasaki ZX6R
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Heard high praise about the pilot road 4s, I only had them for about 500km, and they are an extremely popular tyre down here, I'll have a read up on the s20 as well, open to trying anything once...well anything other than Shinko... on the VFR had the pilot 4 at the and pirelli supercorsa in the front and it worked quite well, just a little unsure of putting hard tyres on the track
    Seen so many other awesome signatures...and I can't think of any...oh well guess this is mine then

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by CBR Addict View Post
    Heard high praise about the pilot road 4s, I only had them for about 500km, and they are an extremely popular tyre down here, I'll have a read up on the s20 as well, open to trying anything once...well anything other than Shinko... on the VFR had the pilot 4 at the and pirelli supercorsa in the front and it worked quite well, just a little unsure of putting hard tyres on the track
    The Pilot 4 should be a dual compound tyre. I ran the Pilot 3 on the track recently and I could push hard enough to get my knee down.
    It will probably be a while before I need dedicated track tyres...

"The Pilot Road 4 and Pilot Road GT see the medium compound in the middle 40 per cent of the front tyre, the rear tyre adds another harder again compound in the middle 20 per cent of the rear tyre, while the 40 per cent either side of the centre utilises the medium compound. The front Pilot Road 4 and Pilot Road 4 GT utilises a softer compound than the sides of the rear tyre, on the 30 per cent either side of the centre-line. Effectively this means the front tyre has softer shoulders than the rear tyre, and the rear tyre not only has a harder compound in the centre but its side compounds are also slightly harder than the front. In racing terms you could translate this as the front being a medium-soft, and the rear being a hard-medium. Hopefully that doesn’t prove too confusing and the diagrams further down the page will help you visualise this further."
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenpridgeon View Post
    The Pilot 4 should be a dual compound tyre. I ran the Pilot 3 on the track recently and I could push hard enough to get my knee down.
    It will probably be a while before I need dedicated track tyres...

"The Pilot Road 4 and Pilot Road GT see the medium compound in the middle 40 per cent of the front tyre, the rear tyre adds another harder again compound in the middle 20 per cent of the rear tyre, while the 40 per cent either side of the centre utilises the medium compound. The front Pilot Road 4 and Pilot Road 4 GT utilises a softer compound than the sides of the rear tyre, on the 30 per cent either side of the centre-line. Effectively this means the front tyre has softer shoulders than the rear tyre, and the rear tyre not only has a harder compound in the centre but its side compounds are also slightly harder than the front. In racing terms you could translate this as the front being a medium-soft, and the rear being a hard-medium. Hopefully that doesn’t prove too confusing and the diagrams further down the page will help you visualise this further."
    Thanks for that Warren. Very informative

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

I rather new to the bike scene but I am happy the guy that sold me the bike had new Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires fitted. At this point if i had to replace them(I don't thank God), I would fit the same.

Saam 'n stukkende skoen. DerekConradie's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda CBR600F, Giant OCR3, Cannondale SuperSix Evo
    Region
    Gauteng

Been using the BT023 on my CBR600F. Got about 40,000km on the rear now. Still have lots of tread left. Granted, I'm no speed demon, and mostly commute. It is a little hard in the centre and can lock up a little when braking hard, but the edge grip is fantastic.
    I am who I am because I do not know how to be anybody else.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DerekConradie View Post
    Been using the BT023 on my CBR600F. Got about 40,000km on the rear now. Still have lots of tread left. Granted, I'm no speed demon, and mostly commute. It is a little hard in the centre and can lock up a little when braking hard, but the edge grip is fantastic.
    Can't remember if it was the BT-021 or BT-023 that basically replaced the BT-016.
    From the sound of things they are basically Bridgestone's version of the Pilot Road 3 (BT-016) and Pilot Road 4 (BT-021 or BT-023).

I haven't pushed the Pilot 4 hard yet, but it seems better than the BT-016 grip-wise.
    I suspect my rear loses more pressure than the Bridgestone's did, but haven't kept enough track on things to really compare the two.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Can't remember if it was the BT-021 or BT-023 that basically replaced the BT-016.
    From the sound of things they are basically Bridgestone's version of the Pilot Road 3 (BT-016) and Pilot Road 4 (BT-021 or BT-023).

I haven't pushed the Pilot 4 hard yet, but it seems better than the BT-016 grip-wise.
    I suspect my rear loses more pressure than the Bridgestone's did, but haven't kept enough track on things to really compare the two.
    BT-016 is more like a michelin Pilot Power, is their hypersport tyre. 021 is like the pilot road 3 and the 023 is their newer tyre so comparable to the pilot road 4. Gone around to the dealers and they also saying for my compromise the best I'll get is the Metzler z3 or the cheaper option would be the pr4. So looks like I should step away from the sports tyres if I want any decent lifespan...

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

BT-016 is more like a michelin Pilot Power, is their hypersport tyre. 021 is like the pilot road 3 and the 023 is their newer tyre so comparable to the pilot road 4. Gone around to the dealers and they also saying for my compromise the best I'll get is the Metzler z3 or the cheaper option would be the pr4. So looks like I should step away from the sports tyres if I want any decent lifespan...
    So you want a long lasting sports tyre for your ZX6R?

Do a bit of googling about the famous Ron Haslam Track School at Donington. They run a fleet of CBR600RRs. You'd imagine they use track tyres, but they don't.

The Bridgestone road Sport tyre is the S20, which Bridgestone said replaced the BT-016 (despite what you've read elsewhere on this page.)

The S20 is a fantastic grippy tyre whose capabilities far exceed our own. And yet this is not what the Ron Haslam school uses either.

They famously used to use the Bridgestone Sport Touring tyre, the BT-023. So for a pure track bike, they were completely comfortable using a touring tyre. Longevity was an obvious benefit.

When Bridgestone replaced the BT-023 with the Sport Touring T-30, the Ron Haslam School switched to those.

This confirms for me that I don't need to pursue the ultimate sticky rubber because I'm such an aggressive rider, a sport touring tyre should be just fine, and will last a bit longer.

Which is just as well, because the S20 was through to the carcass at 6k kms on my CBR600RR and at 4k kms on my CBR1000RR.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Interesting!

Although concerning that that would imply I have less grip than on the BT-016 now
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Interesting!

Although concerning that that would imply I have less grip than on the BT-016 now
    Well the interesting read Carbon has given would imply that they should be more than capable of handling what our 600s can throw at them

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Do a bit of googling about the famous Ron Haslam Track School at Donington. They run a fleet of CBR600RRs. You'd imagine they use track tyres, but they don't.

The Bridgestone road Sport tyre is the S20, which Bridgestone said replaced the BT-016 (despite what you've read elsewhere on this page.)

The S20 is a fantastic grippy tyre whose capabilities far exceed our own. And yet this is not what the Ron Haslam school uses either.

They famously used to use the Bridgestone Sport Touring tyre, the BT-023. So for a pure track bike, they were completely comfortable using a touring tyre. Longevity was an obvious benefit.

When Bridgestone replaced the BT-023 with the Sport Touring T-30, the Ron Haslam School switched to those.

This confirms for me that I don't need to pursue the ultimate sticky rubber because I'm such an aggressive rider, a sport touring tyre should be just fine, and will last a bit longer.

Which is just as well, because the S20 was through to the carcass at 6k kms on my CBR600RR and at 4k kms on my CBR1000RR.
    Wow... thats actually extremely helpful I'll definitely do some reading up on it cause thats the kind of article I've been hunting for. Apparently my tyres have around 4k km left on them and they only 1500km old now(running the pirelli diablo rosso II)

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I've done a little reading on track tyres lately. The dudes at the office who ride track often all have track tyres and warmers etc...
    But I don't feel like I'll need that anytime soon...if ever.

The reading I've done on forums agrees with the above statement. Decent road tyres are pretty good these days... so much so that you can hit the track with them.
    When we were at phakisa recently I could push pretty hard and even touch my knee one time... I never had the feeling that thet tyre were gonna lose grip.

I'm definitely going to keep using them at the track and on the road... Use the middle for commuting and the sides for track days ... lol.