Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyosung GV650

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Hyosung GV650

Hi All

Anyone have any experience with the Hyosung GV650?

I am preparing myself for the Ricer to not make it back from the Insurance yard and looking around.

The GV650 caught my eye years ago when my brother had his GT650 Comet.

Now I need something that wont cost an arm and a leg, and this jumped up again.

Cayenne do also have a 2010 ER6F (I prefer the N,but wifey loves tupperware....) at the moment with 13 000 odd kms, but at what looks to be the same price as a 0km GV650....
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The GV is a cruiser. The ER6 is not. How do you even begin to compare the two?

Although many will tell you to avoid the Hyosung, I have not personally heard anything bad. My only concern would be the lack of a proper dealer network. I have had students with the GV and it looks a nice bike, as far as cruisers go.

The Kawasaki ER range is, of course well know for its all round capabilities, lack of problems and rideability.

Me (not a cruiser type), will go for the Kawa every time if the two are my only choice. I have always like the ER6F as well.

Not sure what your price point is, but you can still get a brand new Kawa Versys (2014 spec) for about R73k.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The GV is a cruiser. The ER6 is not. How do you even begin to compare the two?
    ...I'm saarie!

The Kawasaki ER range is, of course well know for its all round capabilities, lack of problems and rideability.

Me (not a cruiser type), will go for the Kawa every time if the two are my only choice. I have always like the ER6F as well.

Not sure what your price point is, but you can still get a brand new Kawa Versys (2014 spec) for about R73k.
    Lack of problems is what I am concerned about with the Hyosung. Especialy since it only has a 6 month warranty. However, my brother had no issues with his 2006 GT650 Comet...

I am torn between the 2nd hand Kawa and the cruiser. My previous kawa (1994 ZXR750J) treated me very well until it met its untimely demise at the hands of a drunk cager...

I have been eyeing the Versys as I thought it the best all rounder of the 3 ERs but price is a problem. What attracted me to the ER6F and Hyosung was the R40k price tags...

Aquila: http://bikes.autotrader.co.za/used-m...5211c821450895
    ER6F: http://bikes.autotrader.co.za/used-m...5258d1c4d130bc

Edit: I suppose the Kawa is the best option, as I am worried about parts, etc should Cayenne decide to stop its Hyosung business....
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Ah yes. Budget. A most frustrating thing.

The ER6F looks good, but from Cayenne, make very sure it is not a 2nd hand grey import.

Both bikes are good value for money. Difficult choice.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

How did you get that quote to look so smug?
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Have had 3 ER6's between the fiance and I. Excellent "little" bikes. Indestructable motors. My mates is coming up on 100000 kms. Burns a bit of oil now so could probably do with some new rings otherwise runs well.

Had a bad experience with an older Hyosung whereby spares were NOT available anymore (was a 125 cruiser). And I cant think that the resale of a Hyosung would be anything like that of a Kawasaki either.

Personally would NEVER touch a small brand like this.

My opinion. use it, dont use it
    Dunslop lover....

Biker
    Bike
    Kawa ER6F
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi I wanted to buy the hyosung 650 and googled problems the fuel tanks crack and all so fine hair line cracks in the engine casing causing oil leaks i was on the same trip as you and bought the er650f o what a bike

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by wara wara View Post
    Hi I wanted to buy the hyosung 650 and googled problems the fuel tanks crack and all so fine hair line cracks in the engine casing causing oil leaks i was on the same trip as you and bought the er650f o what a bike
    Even if the Hyosung was as good a bike technically as the ER6F, the Kawa would, in my opinion still be the better choice by a huge margin.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

The ER6F looks good, but from Cayenne, make very sure it is not a 2nd hand grey import.
    Hyosung was imported by KMSA, then Smith Power. For a while no importer, but also no grey imports. Cayenne became the official importer some time ago. I doubt there would be any grey imports around.

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    Have had 3 ER6's between the fiance and I. Excellent "little" bikes. Indestructable motors. My mates is coming up on 100000 kms. Burns a bit of oil now so could probably do with some new rings otherwise runs well.

Had a bad experience with an older Hyosung whereby spares were NOT available anymore (was a 125 cruiser). And I cant think that the resale of a Hyosung would be anything like that of a Kawasaki either.

Personally would NEVER touch a small brand like this.

My opinion. use it, dont use it
    Even if the Hyosung was as good a bike technically as the ER6F, the Kawa would, in my opinion still be the better choice by a huge margin.
    I am no fan of Kawasaki, although I owned one in varsity. But I have never heard anything bad about the ER6 range. Second-hand value should be an issue for you and that would make the Kawa the better option.

Also, in my opinion, the ER6 is a much more versatile bike than the cruiser.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for all the input guys!

While it irks me that a brand spanking new bike should cost the same as a second had one, I do have less concerns about a second hand kawa than a new Hyosung..

Especialy a 2010 ER6F with 16 100km... My Ricer had a harder working life in its 2 years than that Kawa!...Unless the KMs are wrong...

Anyhoo. Will have a looksee. My previous kawa was the most reliable of all my bikes, so would not mind getting back to the roots...Even if it wont be a Z800...
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    While it irks me that a brand spanking new bike should cost the same as a second had one, I do have less concerns about a second hand kawa than a new Hyosung..
    A brand spanking new Ford Figo costs a heck of a lot less than a 2nd hand Ford Everest dude. It is life.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

A brand spanking new Ford Figo costs a heck of a lot less than a 2nd hand Ford Everest dude. It is life.
    True....but who wants an Everest?!?!

Now to wait to get an update from the Insurance tomorrow to see which way things are going to go. Hope the ER waits patiently until I know...
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

True....but who wants an Everest?!?!

Now to wait to get an update from the Insurance tomorrow to see which way things are going to go. Hope the ER waits patiently until I know...
    Who wants an Everest? Some dude named Edmund Hillary ....

Who is your insurer!? How long does it take for them to complete a claim? Geewhiz!

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Yea the kawa is the better choice, I had a GT650 Comet...... If you not willing to take time and fix it yourself then don't bother.
    Girlfriend:"Why do you sleep with a gun under your pillow?"
    Me:"Decepticons"
    She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. good times.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Who is your insurer!? How long does it take for them to complete a claim? Geewhiz!
    I decided to claim against the other party,and it seems that your claim then gets put on the back burner until you start complaining alot.

Auto & General is realy not making a case for itself as being a top rate insurer if you ask me....

They stated in their 3rd party claim documentation that it could take up to 60 days.....and they seem to be planning on making the use of every day they can get to delay any kind of feedback (Never mind payment)
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I decided to claim against the other party,and it seems that your claim then gets put on the back burner until you start complaining alot.

Auto & General is realy not making a case for itself as being a top rate insurer if you ask me....

They stated in their 3rd party claim documentation that it could take up to 60 days.....and they seem to be planning on making the use of every day they can get to delay any kind of feedback (Never mind payment)
    Another lesson in life. You always claim against your insurance. ALWAYS!

They can then claim against the third party. It is part of what you pay them for.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Another lesson in life. You always claim against your insurance. ALWAYS!

They can then claim against the third party. It is part of what you pay them for.
    I know, but didnt want the penalty when the policy anniversary comes around, and didnt want to wait for the excess to be paid back.

Thats what I get for being "in gat"
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I know, but didnt want the penalty when the policy anniversary comes around, and didnt want to wait for the excess to be paid back.

Thats what I get for being "in gat"
    Okay. Your life, your decision. What did it cost you to use the car instead of the bike to commute all this time? In my case it is about R100 a day difference.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Okay. Your life, your decision. What did it cost you to use the car instead of the bike to commute all this time? In my case it is about R100 a day difference.
    Look, I wont argue. You are right, and the next time I wont do it this way at all! Didnt think they would drag it out like this.

In my case its about R220 a week extra (+-R130 for the bike per week vs +-650 for the bakkie every second week). So about R1000 extra for Jan!

Should be able to claim that back as well in a fair world! Alas life is not always fair.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Ja. Sadly life is seldom fair.

Anyway, enough negativity. Hope you get your payout soonest and before Réhann kan spell AMZ you have a nifty new bike.