Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Gratuitous Bike Pics.....

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Then I re-masked a slightly larger area, covered the rest with newspaper...

...and sprayed it black.

It now looks pretty close to the OEM screen, apart from the very pronounced bump on the nose. And the nostrils.

Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State

Nice job.
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Looks great. Possibly better than the OEM.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW R1150R
    Region
    Western Cape

Brilliant - executed with surgical precision.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Remounted on the bike:

Honda has a line of bike specific accessories like huggers, seat cowls and sometimes a higher screen. They always have this little "Honda Racing" on them somewhere. I had a screen of theirs on one of my earlier Fireblades and it had this here:

Reverse letters stuck on the inside so hopefully durable, but I'll have to watch the microfibre cloth.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Epilogue

​I want to write the epilogue to my thread here.

Two years ago one of our riding group sold his litre sportbike because he had a young child and wanted to reduce his risk. He replaced it with a 650 single cylinder dirt bike. Three days before last Christmas he died at midday on a dirt road, on his way to his family in Swellendam, leaving a young wife and a four year old son.

His funeral was in Swellendam and our group rode there on our bikes. We went on the N2, which is less boring if you go fast. Unfortunately, this shredded the middle of my Fireblade's back tyre.

The funeral was a pretty sombre affair.

On the way back, we stopped at Riviersonderend and I could see that the middle of my back tyre was just beginning to show canvas. I told my pals to go on without me because I would have to return home slowly.

I went home at a steady 120 and I have never had such a boring, uncomfortable and cramp inducing ride in my life. Full atgatt in the heat is awful too. Because I wasn't "hunting" my way through traffic and space, my concentration wasn't there either. I had plenty of time to reflect, and was quite certain that I would have been far happier in an airconditioned car.
    Why on earth suffer all this discomfort and danger, just to ride along slowly? That's not what a bike does better than a car. I had to admit to myself then, that if I wasn't twisting it, motorcycling just wasn't doing anything for me; while still exposing me to huge risk.

On Monday 8 Jan I went by myself to Hermanus to visit family who were holidaying there. It was a bit of a dilemma, bike or car? I am always acutely aware of risk and don't always immediately grab the bike. But my CBR600RR with its new screen beckoned, so I kitted up and enjoyed a thrilling ride to Hermanus. Fantastic bike with perfectly optimized fueling, and absolutely amazing handling. Wind it up to 14k rpm, and it went bonkers.

At 17h30 my family members all lined up to wave me goodbye, and I set off for home.

The last hairpin bend at the top of Houwhoek Pass from the Botrivier side is one of my favourite corners. It is not a tight hairpin, the road is banked, the tar is good, the radius is constant, there are two lanes and there is no oncoming traffic. It's where you can completely remove your chicken strips. I went through it fast like I always do, leaned over as far as I could. As I was nearly exiting the corner but still in full lean and on the gas, the back wheel broke traction and the bike slid away from me sideways. I didn't have far to fall because I wasn't far from the tar anyway, but I was going fast. I had a very exciting face forward slide along the tar which ended in a couple of spinning rolls. I slid far but hit nothing, sort of like they do in MotoGP. I was thrilled to be able to get up when it ended, albeit with very sore hands. The first thing I found myself doing was kicking the trail of debris off the road that my bike had left behind.

The bike also slid far and without hitting anything, but it rolled and somersaulted, finally coming to rest on the outside shoulder of the road on the straight after the corner. It utterly destroyed itself. Both front forks snapped, the whole front end was gone, there was a huge dent in the back rim and just about everything in between was wrecked. It spoke of horrible violence. It hurt me to look at it. I loved that bike. Fork oil, radiator coolant and engine oil were mixing and creating a slowly widening slick that is still there today.

A passing minibus ambulance doing a stable-patient transfer from Bredasdorp to Tygerberg gave me a lift back to Somerset West.

Despite having a high speed off very far from home, when I walked into the house my wife didn't even notice anything was amiss until I told her.
    I don't think I can expect to get away that lightly next time.

Still on the kitchen counter was the note I left there that morning "Gone to Hermanus by bike". I don't want those to be my last words.

I want to emphasize here that I didn't go into that corner too hot, fail to adequately counter steer, or run out of talent. I did what I always do in that corner, and my back tyre let go.

That same afternoon a rider died on Helshoogte. A road we also enjoy, with fast corners, but oncoming traffic. He embedded himself in the front of a taxi.

The wreckage of my bike on Houwhoek was seen later that day by a passing motorcyclist. I wasn't really amused to hear that a Cape Town motorcycling Facebook page reported that the rider didn't make it.

While I was sliding down the road, there was this very bright light, a bit like that experienced by St Paul on the road to Damascus. The message was clear, you have to stop what you are doing. I made the decision before I came to a stop, I am not riding a motorcycle any more. I have stuck to that resolution.
    Interestingly, a few other guys in our group took the cue, and also stopped riding.

Yesterday, another one of our group came off his bike and died on the beautiful coastal road to RooiEls.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW R1150R
    Region
    Western Cape

We're as thankful as you are that you survived the off.
    A very sobering and enlightening reason for your long absence from the forum. Taking as much care of your bikes as you do for your patients must have broken your heart to see the remains of your CBR600RR lying on the side of the road.
    One can't adequately address the thrill of riding a motorcycle fast and speak for another rider. As sorely as it pains you to have taken the decision to give up that about which you have been so passionate, imagine the joy and relief it brings to your family to know you'll be around for a long time to celebrate those special family moments together.

We will, however, miss your write ups and gratuitous pictures.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Sorry to hear about your off, but as they say, any accident you can walk away from was a good one! As to giving up riding, it's a tough decision, especially when you have been doing it since your teens, but it gets bearable. I still miss my bikes, but I love my life more!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Sorry for the loss of your friend Carbon when I saw the pic of the bike on Sunday it did cross my mind that it might be someone from your crowd. Way too many of these happening here at the moment and I completely respect your decision as I don't think you should ride if your head is not in a good space. Not sure if it is so easy to walk away especially from your beautiful bikes so maybe you will feel differently one day. Thanks for all the lovely pics and the tips on how to keep our babies looking so good
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250 Twister
    Region
    Western Cape

I'm sorry that you won't be posting here anymore - I always found your viewpoint rational, informed and informative.
    But yes - when that voice tells you you've been rolling the dice for long enough, you absolutely should listen.
    My Dad died flying his plane. He was starting to have thoughts of quitting flying. How I wish he'd had a moment of epiphany like yours.

Here's to many more years with your family.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks for the carefully considered and nicely written replies guys.

Yes Colleen, I had that pic of crashed bike you saw on social media, whatsapped to me on Sunday morning. It was sickeningly easily identified as my old Fireblade that I had sold to my young friend. If you go back through this thread you'll see many pics of both that bike and him. He never missed a Killarney track day and his skill set was good. It was his first accident.

Replacing motorcycling with other things has not been difficult for me. I also realize how selfish my motorcycling was. I was spending a lot of time and money on it. The only thing my family could share in, was anxiety.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Losing a friend is always terrible. If it is while he was pursuing the same passion we hold, it is even worse. A lot worse. Best wishes and condolences to the loved one who stayed behind.

Happy to hear and very grateful that your off wasn't much worse, as it so easily could have been. From my point of view it is always sad to see a fellow rider stop riding, but one thing that we all know is that you do not ride, if you do not feel comfortable doing it. So, as the biking door closes behind you, I am sure you will find a new passion. Don't be shy to come tell us about it, Carbon.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks for the kind words AMZ.

I went to the funeral of my young friend this morning. It's not easy to make sense of the sudden death of a healthy 29 year old.
    All the guys we've ridden with over the years were there, and it surprised me how many of them no longer ride.

AMZ I've developed an interest in old Yamaha two strokes, this one from 1995. Definitely not as photogenic as my bikes were, but...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Nowhere near as good looking as the bike, but I have no doubt it can deliver a similar amount of fun.

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

i wish i never get that point that you are in Carbon, bikes are the only that make sense in life at the moment, saved up for a year and bought my SV650 cash, everyday rain or shine i'm on that machine and it has really helped me make sense of life in general.
    sorry about your off and i hope just like Warrenpridgeon and skully, you find something in life that you will enjoy and put your mind to, aint no use sitting at home and watching TV for the rest of your life the outdoors are there for you to experience.
    hope you enjoy the boating activities.
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..