Lurker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Comment The cunning new bike plan

Redirect from: http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthr...699-Noob-hello
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryldp View Post
    What sort of bike were you thinking of? And what woukd the purpose be? Weekend fun or commuting?
    The TLDR answers to you questions are:
    • I love the look of naked bikes, I'm not really a speed demon nor am I a cruiser-type, I think. I want a bike that fits the purpose, that I can grow into, but is not that far beyond my rusty capabilities, training notwithstanding.
    • The primary purpose is urban (not highway) commuting 18km round trip a day. The distance and highway thing could change, of course.
    • The secondary purpose is weekend fun with SO pillion. Touring: not so much.

A lot of research and over-analysis has gone into it and sparing you the details, my short-list with preliminary subjective scoring is as follows:

• Triumph Street Triple R - 73%
    • BMW F800R - 74%
    • Honda NC750X - 69%
    • KTM 690 Duke - 59%
    • Yamaha MT-07 - 45%

The weighted criteria for scoring was:
    1. Purpose (outlined above)
    2. The heart wants what it wants
    3. Safety (including my lack of recent experience)
    4. Economy (including the purchase price, accessories and l/100km)

The plan:

1. Buy ATGATT for me and SO.
    2. Write learners x2.
    3. Beginner training x2.
    4. Gain some riding experience (don't know how yet, don't really want to buy a smaller bike first, but might have to).
    5. Go on intermediate training.
    6. Test ride top 3 bikes from the list.
    7. Buy (finance and insurance) the bike.
    8. Go on K53 training.
    9. Write K53.
    10. Live happily ever after.
    11. Upgrade.

Questions:

1. If I had to buy a smaller beginner bike, probably second hand and cheaply, and one that I won't feel too badly about when I have an oopsie, but with some consideration of the thinking on bike choice above - what might I consider? (I'm not small - 100kg)
    2. Do dealers commonly finance ATGATT with the bike?
    3. Any comments or questions on my thinking above - shoot!

Thanks.

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi,

I am in the exact same position as you and have the exact same requirements in terms of using the bike more for commuting than touring, and specifically looking at a naked middleweight motorcycle. The plan as well seems to be on the same.

So far in my journey, I have booked the novice course through BMW Rider Academy and will at Zwartkops on Sunday. Learner's is booked for 10th Dec. Still need to get the ATGATT and convince my wife it's happening and not just another obsession.

The only difference between your shortlist and mine so far is the MT-09 instead of the MT-07. Secondly my scope was narrowed down when I decided to look at middleweight three cylinder engines only in the and a bike with single sided swingarm. The look just appeals to me. This lead me inevitably to the MV Agusta brand.
    I was at Cayenne the other day drooling and put a long story short ended

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hwanano View Post
    Hi,

I am in the exact same position as you and have the exact same requirements in terms of using the bike more for commuting than touring, and specifically looking at a naked middleweight motorcycle. The plan as well seems to be on the same.

So far in my journey, I have booked the novice course through BMW Rider Academy and will at Zwartkops on Sunday. Learner's is booked for 10th Dec. Still need to get the ATGATT and convince my wife it's happening and not just another obsession.

The only difference between your shortlist and mine so far is the MT-09 instead of the MT-07. Secondly my scope was narrowed down when I decided to look at middleweight three cylinder engines only in the and a bike with single sided swingarm. The look just appeals to me. This lead me inevitably to the MV Agusta brand.
    I was at Cayenne the other day drooling and put a long story short ended
    (pressed send by mistake)

continuing on...

I ended up finding a bike that speaks to me and made me very happy indeed.

The MV Agusta Turismo Veloce!

I am still doing the research on this bike now, prodding the dealer and searching the net and forums on how others are finding this bike so far.

Anyway, just have a look at the MV Agusta brand. You might find something you like there too.

Lurker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Comment

Oh yes, obsession... Same here. In my case, she might have a point...

Do you need ATGATT for the beginners courses? Probably lid and jacket at least - what did they say? I'm leaning towards Speed Queen Racing myself, but I haven't phoned anyone yet.

Secondly my scope was narrowed down when I decided to look at middleweight three cylinder engines only in the and a bike with single sided swingarm. The look just appeals to me. This lead me inevitably to the MV Agusta brand.
    I have to confess, MV Agusta didn't even pop up in my research - I'll go have a look.

Where do you land on the issue of initially getting a smaller cheaper bike you wouldn't mind so much dropping, which I understand is inevitable or at least highly likely for someone that haven't been on two wheels in a while?

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1448027534473.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  57.7 KB

From the top of my head it has the following as standard:

5" TFt screen, Bluetooth connectivity for up to 9 devices, GPS mapping, cruise control, heated grips, up and down quick shifter, switchable ABS, 8 level traction control, Day time running lights, automatic lights, different riding modes ( sport, rain, road, custom), 6 gears 800cc, 20L tank, upright riding position. It's perfect for me I guess. 170k brand new. launched a few months ago.

There is a Lusso (luxury) model with all the above plus electronically adjustable suspension and the bluetooth on this one connects to an IPhone/Ipad app that let's you adjust the throttle maps, suspension, and download your GPS mappings to complete your trip report( including avg speed, max speed, lean angle, route taken)

Only con so far that I have found is lack of distance to empty/ fuel consumption function on the trip computer. Also mention of high operating temperatures. So I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me regarding software updates to sort these out.

Probably not the best bike for a techno-phobe.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Speed Queen provides everything you need for a beginner course. Bike, gloves, jacket, helmet and a really good instructor.

Slowed to four wheels Speed Devil's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

Don't want to put you guys off, but seeing as you looking for your "first bike", remember that MV Augusta is not cheap to service, maintain and repair. So unless you got deep pockets don't go anywhere near them. Same goes for Ducatti, KTM and a few others. This is something the salesman won't tell you at the time of sale.

Don't take life too seriously....nobody gets out alive!!!

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Devil View Post
    Don't want to put you guys off, but seeing as you looking for your "first bike", remember that MV Augusta is not cheap to service, maintain and repair. So unless you got deep pockets don't go anywhere near them. Same goes for Ducatti, KTM and a few others. This is something the salesman won't tell you at the time of sale.
    Very true and important.

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Speed Queen provides everything you need for a beginner course. Bike, gloves, jacket, helmet and a really good instructor.
    I have heard that they are the best. But gloves may be a bit clammy...

Bike
    Honda CB1000R
    Region
    Gauteng

I would go for the MT 07 if I were you.

If you want something that dies everything well and will make you giggle like a girl... Get a CB1000R.
    Im heavy(130kg 1.87m) and can outrun almost anything till 120ish.Torque is your friend
    "If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone." Burt Munro

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Daryldp View Post
    I would go for the MT 07 if I were you.

If you want something that dies everything well and will make you giggle like a girl... Get a CB1000R.
    Im heavy(130kg 1.87m) and can outrun almost anything till 120ish.Torque is your friend
    explain this "dies everything well". I wouldn't particularly recommend a bike that "dies" hehe

Serious note, I would say it's between the F800R and the MT-07.
    The Honda is a really good economic choice and really easy to ride where the KTM is going be costly to maintain and the Triumph street triple R is quite sporty and more of a "hard" ride but definitely has the most power among the bikes you listed.

So the three I would look at are the F800R,MT-07 and the NC750, but that's just an opinion.

Bike
    Honda CB1000R
    Region
    Gauteng

Sorry just got a new company phone and well yes I do suffer from sausage fingers hehe.
    "If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone." Burt Munro

Come Join the Marshals
    Bike
    NC700X (retired into a golf5) NC750X, & Bajaj 180
    Region
    Gauteng

just add my 2 cents.
    Was in the same position a few months back, went for a 300cc scoot, to get the feel of riding again without all the worries of gears, clutches etc.
    I recently got hold of a NC 700X, it is such an easy ride, well balanced, plenty of torque. you can pick up good second hand ones for good prices normally fully kitted.
    have been very impressed with it, every ride i climb off with a smile on my face
    If you require Safety Training pop us WhatsApp: 062 192 5492

Bike
    BMW K1200GT
    Region
    Gauteng

Friend of mine and forum member has a BMW 800S for sale 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roy & Sandy
    BMW K1200GT

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ZokFotPik View Post

Do you need ATGATT for the beginners courses? Probably lid and jacket at least - what did they say?

Where do you land on the issue of initially getting a smaller cheaper bike you wouldn't mind so much dropping, which I understand is inevitable or at least highly likely for someone that haven't been on two wheels in a while?
    I can only comment regarding the BMW novice course. It's from 8am to 5pm. Lunch, helmet, jacket and gloves, 250cc bike included. They say unless you already have the gear don't buy it specifically for this course. They will sort you out. I guess for the more advanced courses you need own gear and bike.

As for getting a smaller bike first I suppose it's up to you. My friends advised me to skip the smaller capacity and go for 600-900cc. The whole "you gonna get bored pretty quickly and then need to upgrade schlep" They also added in the same breath "just take it easy and respect the bike. For me it will boil down to which bike can I afford to drop and fix ( together with the usual maintenance, service etc).

Yesterday I told my wife "I remember how I felt the day we met and knew you were the one...that's how I feel about the MV" She asked me, so when are buying it

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100RR
    Region
    Gauteng

I can only comment regarding the BMW novice course. It's from 8am to 5pm. Lunch, helmet, jacket and gloves, 250cc bike included. They say unless you already have the gear don't buy it specifically for this course. They will sort you out. I guess for the more advanced courses you need own gear and bike.

As for getting a smaller bike first I suppose it's up to you. My friends advised me to skip the smaller capacity and go for 600-900cc. The whole "you gonna get bored pretty quickly and then need to upgrade schlep" They also added in the same breath "just take it easy and respect the bike. For me it will boil down to which bike can I afford to drop and fix ( together with the usual maintenance, service etc).

Yesterday I told my wife "I remember how I felt the day we met and knew you were the one...that's how I feel about the MV" She asked me, so when are buying it
    Mv`s are nice i think they're being offered with a 3 year warranty and service plan as well.Im scared of the 800`s ,know for sprag clutch issues maybe if you go that route maybe consider fitting lithium battery rigth away.Maintance costs right up there with rest of them regarding labour,you do end up waiting somewhat longer for parts.but normal consumables are in stock and available right away.Other than that welcome to the club if you do end up buying it,I'm on my third one.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Region
    North West

My 2c:

Test ride every single bike you are even remotely considering. Not just the top 3. All of them. Seriously. There are bikes out there that you may not have even thought of that could be exactly what you were looking for. My advice is skip the small bike. Some people don't get bored quickly of a small bike, but most people do and then it's a schlep and money to upgrade. Training is good. Go for training BEFORE you buy a bike. This will help a lot to get over the initial fear/discomfort of riding a bike that might cloud your judgement when test-riding bikes. This also helps a lot to prevent the "inevitable" first spill.

Other than that, all the bikes you mentioned are good bikes. The 690 Duke should be no more expensive to service and maintain than any of the other bikes, and it has a single cylinder engine which are usually cheaper to maintain. The Honda will be the cheapest to run of course, and my money is on the Street Triple R being the most expensive. Other than that, all are good choices for what you want to do and all are decent beginner bikes. For the most part they are all quite different as well, so as I said go ride them all.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

... My friends advised me to skip the smaller capacity and go for 600-900cc. The whole "you gonna get bored pretty quickly and then need to upgrade schlep"
    Yes, choose a 600cc bike as a starter bike. A 600cc superbike can only do about 265km/h, so it is ideal.

Great advice. Maybe look for better-informed friends?
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    Yes, choose a 600cc bike as a starter bike. A 600cc superbike can only do about 265km/h, so it is ideal.

Great advice. Maybe look for better-informed friends?
    Um there are some great 600cc bikes that are not bad to start on. Like the Kawa 650 inline twin engined bikes.

Though I do get your point, My mother would never put me on a 600cc+ bike to "start" with.
    They may not be able to get any where near the performance of the 600cc super bikes but they are definitely more than strong enough to put you through a wall at 160km with ease.
    The first thing I did on my 125cc was ride into a pole. I rode into the back of a car on a GS500E crawling up a hill and broke my wrist. It does not require much speed to hurt yourself seriously.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Biker mom's son View Post
    Um there are some great 600cc bikes that are not bad to start on. Like the Kawa 650 inline twin engined bikes.
    The first thing I did on my 125cc was ride into a pole. I rode into the back of a car on a GS500E crawling up a hill and broke my wrist. It does not require much speed to hurt yourself seriously.
    Yeah, but the more speed the bigger the chance of serious or fatal injury.

The big issue with sport bikes is not so much the outright speed, but rather the acceleration and that the are very unforgiving in terms of handling.