Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 310cc Baby Beemer due in South Africa next year.

Bike
    Hyosang GT650R (sold), CBR1000RR (sold), BMW R1200GS (sold), BMW 650X (sold), R1200GSA 2016
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    You mean the D310R?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Just heard from a very reliable horse's mouth that the G310R will be here soon and at about R59k. The same horse also mentioned that a G310GS will be here about this same time 2017.
    I just spoke to Clearwater BMW Motorrad and the guy tuned me that it's coming in Jan

What'd your connection say about the timeframe?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    I just spoke to Clearwater BMW Motorrad and the guy tuned me that it's coming in Jan

What'd your connection say about the timeframe?
    2nd half of this year. Who knows? That could mean 30 December.

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Oom AMZ, a question for you and the other "voices of Reason here", specifically on the 310r.

As you probably know, I am earnestly considering the Baby Beemer as my first bike. The purpose would be commuting, but also some fun at times, in the sense of longer road trips. My daily commute includes around 40 odd km on the N12, N3 and N1, and I am of average length and build. Would the g310r (or 300 ninja) be able to do that in traffic, or would a secondhand 600cc be a better choice for me?
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Oom AMZ, a question for you and the other "voices of Reason here", specifically on the 310r.

As you probably know, I am earnestly considering the Baby Beemer as my first bike. The purpose would be commuting, but also some fun at times, in the sense of longer road trips. My daily commute includes around 40 odd km on the N12, N3 and N1, and I am of average length and build. Would the g310r (or 300 ninja) be able to do that in traffic, or would a secondhand 600cc be a better choice for me?
    390 Duke!!!

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

390 Duke is a decent choice but personally I'd go for bigger especially if you on the highway.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyone of the 300 - 500 class bikes will easily meet your commuting requirements. No doubt about that. The question you need to answer honestly is, what do you mean by longer road trips? I have done, in my much younger days, quite a few long trips, even as far as JHB to East London and back on a Yamaha RD250. No problem as long as you are not two up, heavily loaded, or planning to break land speed records.

I would personally rather go for a 600 class, non-sportbike such as the Honda NC, Kawasaki Versys or ER, etc. Mainly because I am not ... uhm .... average length and build. My build requires torque.

The 390 Duke is a very nice bike. So is the 310 Beemer and the 300 naked Kawa, but I would not want to do a 300 - 500km stretch on anyone of them.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
    390 Duke is a decent choice but personally I'd go for bigger especially if you on the highway.
    I tend to agree, I initially looked at the baby Beemer, I like BMW. But with them taking so long to come out, I looked at the 390 Duke.

In the range that he's looking at, the Duke trumps its rivals in everything (Maybe not consumption by a small margin).

That's what sold the Duke to me.

Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Compare power/weight ratios. In my view it's a big factor in small bikes.
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

Hmmm... I wonder if I should sell my Fazer?
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyone of the 300 - 500 class bikes will easily meet your commuting requirements. No doubt about that. The question you need to answer honestly is, what do you mean by longer road trips? I have done, in my much younger days, quite a few long trips, even as far as JHB to East London and back on a Yamaha RD250. No problem as long as you are not two up, heavily loaded, or planning to break land speed records.

I would personally rather go for a 600 class, non-sportbike such as the Honda NC, Kawasaki Versys or ER, etc. Mainly because I am not ... uhm .... average length and build. My build requires torque.

The 390 Duke is a very nice bike. So is the 310 Beemer and the 300 naked Kawa, but I would not want to do a 300 - 500km stretch on anyone of them.
    Longer trips would be on photographic outings to get that untainted landscape shot, Dullstroom area, Harties area etc. for a breakfast/lunch on a weekend with SWAMBO, that kind of thing. If am going to go on a leisure trip stretching over a few days, I would take SWAMBO and probably the cage then. Together we are sub-160kg, and would probably travel as light as possible. My ideal would be a 1200GS, but that'll come in a couple of years. For now I need to get back into biking, primarily for commuting, and then some relaxed fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    I tend to agree, I initially looked at the baby Beemer, I like BMW. But with them taking so long to come out, I looked at the 390 Duke.

In the range that he's looking at, the Duke trumps its rivals in everything (Maybe not consumption by a small margin).

That's what sold the Duke to me.
    The thing that makes me lean towards BMW is the after-sales service. Apparently it's what keeps BMW in the lead in SA.
    How was the comparison regarding maintenance? Costs, availability of parts, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Compare power/weight ratios. In my view it's a big factor in small bikes.
    As I have limited experience with biking, how does the power/weight ratio have an impact? I would assume that the smaller HP/kg means slower acceleration and/or probably smaller chance of reaching highway speeds in windy conditions or on hills? If it wasn't for the highway aspect, I would have gone for the Twister listed this morning...
    From your friendly cager

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

As I have limited experience with biking, how does the power/weight ratio have an impact? I would assume that the smaller HP/kg means slower acceleration and/or probably smaller chance of reaching highway speeds in windy conditions or on hills? If it wasn't for the highway aspect, I would have gone for the Twister listed this morning...
    Basically the amount of power available to push the weight forward.

Example Bike 1: 25kw:175kg = 1kw pushing 7 kg.
    Example Bike 2: 32kw:175kg = 1kw pushing 5.5kg

It stands to reason EB2 will be faster under acceleration and be able to maintain a specific speed easier if all other variables (there are many) remain unchanged.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

The Kw/Kg is a handy way to compare bikes. You will notice that not all cc are the same eg some Chinese 250cc are closer to a Japanese 125cc etc.

You want as much Kw/Kg for your money. But also compare if the bikes have disk brakes and ABS or not
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Interesting. Very interesting.

Robin, to the Researchmobil!
    From your friendly cager

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The Kw/Kg is a handy way to compare bikes. You will notice that not all cc are the same eg some Chinese 250cc are closer to a Japanese 125cc etc.

You want as much Kw/Kg for your money. But also compare if the bikes have disk brakes and ABS or not

True, but be careful not to over analyse. A bike should be bought with your heart. This is why a prospective buyer should ride them and then decide.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Robin, to the Researchmobil!
    Remember, there are many variables that also impact on "felt" performance. Back to the two examples I used. In that example, EB2 should be faster off the mark and maintain speed better. Let's assume thought that EB1 revs 1000 rpm more and the manufacturer adapted gear ratios to take advantage of that, EB1 may well get of the mark faster and maintain speed as well as EB2. It is all very complex. Good for guidance, but useless for the final choice.

I remember a few years back, a young engineering dude who did Excel Spread sheets that would have NASA go green with envy. Then, on the results of the spread sheets he bought a bike. I cannot remember going on a ride with him when he did not constantly complain about the bike. The spread sheets said "GO" for the bike. His heart clearly did not agree, once he had it.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Off course. Also if there is a dealer nearby, decent deal to be made, extras thrown in etc

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Off course. Also if there is a dealer nearby, decent deal to be made, extras thrown in etc
    HAHA! You are going to make young Pirate blow his bandwidth allocation on Google!

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Region
    North West

Pirate, buy a V-Strom 650. You can thank me later

But in all seriousness, there are many good options for what you want. I personally would not get a 300 class bike if I'm planning on doing longer breakfast runs or other trips. And you can pretty much forget taking a pillion. But other than that they are a great size and don't fare too badly on the highway.

In other words, any bike is better than no bike (I'm very helpful, aren't I )

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    Inderdaad! The only better advice would be to buy a DL650.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

HAHA! You are going to make young Pirate blow his bandwidth allocation on Google!
    Bring it on, I haven't been using my allocated bandwidth to full potential!

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post

But in all seriousness, there are many good options for what you want. I personally would not get a 300 class bike if I'm planning on doing longer breakfast runs or other trips. And you can pretty much forget taking a pillion. But other than that they are a great size and don't fare too badly on the highway.

In other words, any bike is better than no bike (I'm very helpful, aren't I )
    Not the first time I get that advice. Now... google => V-strom => "Enter"

I need to get back on 2 wheels. It's been way too long.

Inderdaad! The only better advice would be to buy a DL650.
    *new tab => *google.com => DL650 South Africa => "Enter" => =>

From your friendly cager