Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

glad you back on your feet man, bike will probably look snazzy, might shave off a few seconds of your time with that full fairing on.
    good luck on your new track career
    wish you all the best man
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by kamza View Post
    glad you back on your feet man, bike will probably look snazzy, might shave off a few seconds of your time with that full fairing on.
    good luck on your new track career
    wish you all the best man
    Thanks kamza
    Ja, better aerodynamics and a more race oriented body position will help a lot to gain speed quicker and go through corners quicker compared to the Tuono.

And I used some matte black spraypaint I had laying around and painted the bodywork as I was tired of seeing that horrible paintjob:

Test fitted the GFP brake lever guard:

Ermax race screen masked off on the inside and sprayed to hide the dash and wiring:

And found a decal kit online from a company in Italy called Red Racing Parts that has the exact replica of the RSV4 RF-W decals.

Look I am going for:

And the original and the decal kit:

Radiator and fans removed. Radiator is very bent and will be repaired and kept as a spare.
    One rad fan is also broken, but I will see if I can fix the housing:

Stoked that it is getting closer to completion.
    I am waiting for the new radiator from AF1 Racing.
    All I need to do to get the bike completed is the following:

Fit new radiator (and new fan if needed).
    Send bodywork and tank in to get sprayed silver.
    Apply decals.
    Get new levers.
    Get front brake pipe fixed where it broke off from the master cylinder when the handlebar broke off.
    Get front wheel repaired and painted. Also rear wheel has to get painted.

It should be up and running soon. Bodywork is going in next Monday for painting.

And this is about half the broken and damaged stuff I removed from the Tuono:

"I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

So what has happened so far:

Got a front stand.
    Got the bellypan.
    Turned the bike around.
    New radiator arrived and fitted.
    Bodywork taken off.
    Tank stripped of fuel pump assembly, filler cap, tank pads and heat shielding.
    And bodywork dropped off yesterday at the painters for some paintwork to be done.

Pics -

I have some other small things to fix like the bracket for the demand sensor (fly-by-wire throttle thingy) and a small coolant leak on one pipe.
    Wheels will be taken off this weekend and sent in to repair the front wheel and painting.

Then it is basically waiting for the bodywork to get painted, getting the decal kit and fitting that, slapping everything together and it is ready to ride.
    Well..... it will be ready, but I still have about 2 months to go before I am ready.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Tank before:

And after:

And all the bodywork has been painted:

The colour I chose was Lamborghini Grigio Antares. It shows up all the sharp lines, angles and curves just perfectly.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Very, very nice. Good colour choice as a base for your decal kit as well.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Got the bodywork back on the 18th.

Fitted new heatshielding to the underside of the tank, refitted the brace to the tank, and the front panel along with the fuel pump assembly and filler cap:

And then:

And fitted a Tricolore design decal to each side of the tank (OEM Aprilia decals):

Also fitted the new GFP seat pad.
    I am waiting for the bellypan brackets from AF1 Racing, that is why there is an empty 5L container holding the bellypan up.
    Also from AF1 are the air ducts that go from the front fairing cutouts to the airbox holes in the frame.

Wheels are getting removed next week and sent in to be fixed and painted.
    Decal kit should be here within the next few weeks.
    I also fitted the new levers and GFP engine case guards.
    Then it is front brake pipe repair, new tyres, and the bike will be ready for action.

Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

looks really good, paint scheme flowing with the frame looks like a bullet
    anyway am sure looking forward to seeing you out on the track just send me an invite when you so go out, will make a plan to ride out and spectate

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Then it is front brake pipe repair, new tyres, and the bike will be ready for action. Hi Bud, contact this crowd for your brake pipe, they are the sole importers of the CEF(High quality Scandanavian) brake components. 0861-776-675
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks kamza. Thanks Vespa. Will phone them later.

And decal kit cancelled by Red Racing Parts..... stories, stories, delays, stories, delays, blah blah blah. Got my money back from them and ordered from Moto XP Ricambi. Well respected parts place.
    Order placed this morning and already got shipping info and tracking number from them.

Decal kit:

And what it will sort of look like:

Slowed to four wheels Speed Devil's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

Looking good Skully. I really love all the effort you putting in and thinking everything through before just slapping everything together.

Just a thought though, you had all the parts painted, Lamborghini Grigio Antares, to "show up all the sharp lines, angles and curves" as you put it. But with all the decals I think it will overpower the paint job and you will loose the effect you actually wanted.

Personally I would keep the decals to a minimum and let the paintwork do the job of "adding bling"

PS: I'm also not a huge fan of decals and stickers on ANY vehicle. So am also biased towards the minimalistic look

Don't take life too seriously....nobody gets out alive!!!

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

I am not adding all the decals from the kit, luckily. Ialso like the minamilist look.

But here is what I have done so far. Just the upper fairing to do and some minor trimming on some of the decals.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Wow that looks awesome! Well done!
    Are you running the race ecu or gabro ecu?

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Arktic View Post
    Wow that looks awesome! Well done!
    Are you running the race ecu or gabro ecu?
    Thanks man!
    There is a Gabro ECU in it. Was in the bike when I got it.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    Thanks man!
    There is a Gabro ECU in it. Was in the bike when I got it.
    Ah nice thats bonus! Im looking at either one for mine but man they are pricey.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Arktic View Post
    Ah nice thats bonus! Im looking at either one for mine but man they are pricey.
    No wonder this bike pulled like it did from the start
    Gabro charges 200 Euro for the flash (if I remember correctly), but it is shipping the ECU to Italy and back that is a killer.
    AF1 has race ECU's, but at $524 and then $115 for UPS shipping.... and although there are local dudes who can flash the Ape ECU's, I don't trust them as far as I can throw a 25kg bag of cement.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

No wonder this bike pulled like it did from the start
    Gabro charges 200 Euro for the flash (if I remember correctly), but it is shipping the ECU to Italy and back that is a killer.
    AF1 has race ECU's, but at $524 and then $115 for UPS shipping.... and although there are local dudes who can flash the Ape ECU's, I don't trust them as far as I can throw a 25kg bag of cement.
    Ya the shipping is the real deal breaker.

I got a quote of 7k from Cayenne in CApe Town, which is a pretty good price. Thats for an approved race ECU so i may save my pennies and go that route.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Good luck with Cayenne and their parts supply for Aprilia's.... they have a very bad name up here with regards to parts for ALL of the brands they sell. I would not even go near the shop in Midrand, never mind getting parts from them.
    On that note, I got a quote from them with all the parts I purchased from AF1 Racing to fix my Tuono. Their quote came to R83 897 for the exact same parts. That is not a typo....
    The total I have spent on parts at AF1 comes to R27 359 and that INCLUDES the UPS courier fees, import duties, etc. So I saved over 60K by bypassing the thieving sharks.

And the wheels are in for repair and painting. Should get them back by the weekend.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Good luck with Cayenne and their parts supply for Aprilia's.... they have a very bad name up here with regards to parts for ALL of the brands they sell. I would not even go near the shop in Midrand, never mind getting parts from them.
    On that note, I got a quote from them with all the parts I purchased from AF1 Racing to fix my Tuono. Their quote came to R83 897 for the exact same parts. That is not a typo....
    The total I have spent on parts at AF1 comes to R27 359 and that INCLUDES the UPS courier fees, import duties, etc. So I saved over 60K by bypassing the thieving sharks.

And the wheels are in for repair and painting. Should get them back by the weekend.
    Yeah I have heard stories about Cayenne in JHB so quite a few people are/ were skeptical about them opening up in Cape Town. THey seem to be doing pretty well so far so will see how it turns out.

My trick for not buying from them is pretty simple though. Be too poor to afford parts for your bike. Simple as that! :P

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

yeah i would avoid cayenne even Perry Cayenne down in Durban, I dont trust them either when i had the Hyosung gt650 a simple fall was calculated to be about R25k to fix, i fixed it myself for just above R5k, whole body panels repaired and sprayed, rear sets and new decals included.